Gn15 Pizza Layout (currently with no name)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Gn15 Pizza Layout (currently with no name)

Postby bluey1989 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am

Hello all

The zoo hasnt been forgotten but I have wanted for a while a Gn15 pizza layout to run my firefly loco with DCC & sound.

Options were to either build one (which with family, work and the zoo layout wasnt really an option) or wait and advertise my interest in purchasing one, ideally in its basic form so I could personalise it a bit...

Well I came up trumps with this pizza layout with Simon Andrews on here with the layout arriving a few weeks back.

This is the layout as it arrived having its first test run last night, apart from needing a good track clean it ran fine.

Another reason for progressing this layout before the zoo is as a test bed for static grass using the puffer bottle
I spent a spare hour last night producing grass to most of the layout apart from around the buildings which will hopefully if the other half lets me will happen tonight, I need to stick down part of the roof that has come away too.
I just hope when the vac comes out to take up the excess grass most of it has stuck down....

Has anyone had any experiance with the noch puffer bottle and should I give the grass a coat of hairspray to give it a chance or just suck it and see with the vac?

Hopefully thursday I will have some pictures of the layout with all static grass down.

Cheers

Andy

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:15 am

Excellent idea getting a pre-made layout and altering the scenery to your liking.

When I was younger, about 12, my father and I did the same for our 009 layout, it was great fun.
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 am

G'day Andy

Just a few thoughts on the static grass ........

1) When vacuuming the excess up use a fine weave cloth (hanky) in the mouth of the pick-up tube ...... then you can re-use the loose stuff.

2) When I tried using static grass I just painted slightly dilute white glue .... just a little water to change the glue from cream to almost milk consistency .... in the required area and then sprinkled the 'grass' on.

{I will admit that I was using a home made 'static' applicator, made from a negative ion generator and a kitchen container with a fine mesh top, which might have 'forced' to grass strands into the glue with a bit more force}

3) Have not tried hairspray to act as an extra 'hold down' agent but I have tried waiting for the grass to dry, adding more glue and then applying more grass to give a longer 'lawn'. Don't know how this would work with a puffer ..... only ever tried it with an active applicator.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 am

A picture might be helpful for the reader to understand, what you are trying to express.

I tried hairspray, but it tends to blow the groundcover away. Meanwhile I simply soak the composition with primer, you use on walls, before painting. In Germany it is called "Tiefengrund"

We aim at archieving a 3 dimensional look on our layouts.

The picture was taken at Töffelholms Gn15 forest module in progress

Have Fun

Juergen

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Many thanks for previous comments

Well only had chance to spend a few hours on the layout over the last few weeks but I manage sprinkle some lawn seeds over the old grass and with some regular watering this is the results: -
The grss is the static grass applied with a noch puffer bottle...I personal dont think its too bad...

Sort of front view of the layout with new grass (please ignore the white PVC glue around the base of the building and the roof, this has now dry)

Over head view of the layout

View of the main building

Bit dark but the firefly loco and skip wagon hurry back to the warehouse before the light totally fades...

No I arent sure about the flower seeds that got randomly dotted around the grass (comments welcome)

Next just its to make the lump of grass in the middle of the road way disappear or wider, any any input would be great
Little weathering work to the buildings and then build up the interior and add a few details (figures and clutter about)
Need a name and was thinking od king potatos as then cargo can just be closed crates...

Any comments/ideas welcome as always

Cheers

Andy

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Grass looks fine Andy, however IMHO the flowers don't work. I think you'd achieve a better result with the odd weed clump or maybe a Bramble bush somewhere at the edge of the front triangle of grass.
Bramble is easily made using horse hair.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Andy,

The static grass looks good. As Gerry suggested some weeds and brambles would break up the uniform appearance. As for the flowers, try grouping them together in odd numbers of the same colour, 3s and 5s etc.

Simon.

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:57 am

Many thanks for the comments chaps

I totally agree with the flowers, I thought that as they were been planted, they will get removed tonight and I will have a go at some brambles with some 2 or 3 clumps of flowers around...

Probs a silly question but is there any on any other layouts anyone can point me too so I have a rough idea what I am doing :)

Andy

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Go mad young fella!

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Ian,