After a long period of browsing and being inspired by this forum I thought it was about time I started building a Gn15 loco of my own. Here's what I've managed so far.
The chassis came from a Hornby Caledonian "Smokey Joe" that I've had since I was knee high to a grasshopper, alot of the original has been chopped away to shorten it. Unfortunately this is one of the English made ones, not one of the Chinese ones which run better.
Most of what you see is made of Evergreen styrene from my local model shop, apart from the diamond plate which came from fleabay (possibly Slaters) and some Grandt Line nut/bolt/washer mouldings.
The photo doesn't show it too well but I was pleased with how the driver's seat turned out. I scored woodgrain into three strips of roughly cut styrene, then gave them a rub in the direction of the grain with a needle file to add some more texture. Finally I drilled some holes to represent countersunk bolts before glueing the pieces in place.
As you can see there's still plenty to be done. I have a Sidelines loco detailing kit and radiator and a driver is being altered from the "man with suitcase" that I posted a picture of in the Sources of Figures thread. I'm trying to think of how to cover the bit of mechanism that shows in the cab, I might make a simple tool box to cover it but am open to ideas.
Hello, I'm Dave.
So many modelling ideas, so little money!