The Beginnings of a Diesel

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

The Beginnings of a Diesel

Postby Booga » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:31 pm

After a long period of browsing and being inspired by this forum I thought it was about time I started building a Gn15 loco of my own. Here's what I've managed so far.

The chassis came from a Hornby Caledonian "Smokey Joe" that I've had since I was knee high to a grasshopper, alot of the original has been chopped away to shorten it. Unfortunately this is one of the English made ones, not one of the Chinese ones which run better.

Most of what you see is made of Evergreen styrene from my local model shop, apart from the diamond plate which came from fleabay (possibly Slaters) and some Grandt Line nut/bolt/washer mouldings.

The photo doesn't show it too well but I was pleased with how the driver's seat turned out. I scored woodgrain into three strips of roughly cut styrene, then gave them a rub in the direction of the grain with a needle file to add some more texture. Finally I drilled some holes to represent countersunk bolts before glueing the pieces in place.

As you can see there's still plenty to be done. I have a Sidelines loco detailing kit and radiator and a driver is being altered from the "man with suitcase" that I posted a picture of in the Sources of Figures thread. I'm trying to think of how to cover the bit of mechanism that shows in the cab, I might make a simple tool box to cover it but am open to ideas.

Dave
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Good start Dave, I've got three of the chinese chassis looking for bodies myself 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

jacko
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: model railways ng

Postby jacko » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 pm

as to cover the drive what better than gearbox and levers [/quote]
jacko

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 am

That'll work out Gnicely.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Looks like a good start there, Dave.
The trick to getting these chassis to run better is lots of weight and an decent controller, as has been discussed on this forum before. Something I tried, was to introduce reduction gearing:
[img][img]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x251/geekygeckodad/Hornby%200-4-0/Hornby0-4-0002.jpg[/img][/img]
This would be tricky to position the drivers feet and legs around though.
Stefan

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Postby Booga » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the comments. My current idea for covering the drive in the cab area is a square cowling over the "gearbox" and a gear lever coming out of the top, but it's going to be tight with the driver in there. I've done alot of chopping and filing to his head and right arm and don't want to have to alter his left leg too if I can avoid it. I may mount the brakewheel column outside the cab on the rear to give him some more room.
Hello, I'm Dave.

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Booga » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Update time, here's a pic with the main bit of the body put together, mostly 1mm plasticard with 0.5mm for the access doors. The couplers and radiator are Sidelines as I'm sure you'll all recognise by now. The coupling pin is the top half of a size 10 or 11 fishing hook, I folded the hooked end in gaffa tape before cutting with wire cutters to prevent sharp bits of hook flying off somewhere!

I've still got to add handles on the hatches, some controls and an exhaust. The top of the hood is looking rather bare, I may add a light and/or a toolbox.

Hello, I'm Dave.

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Excellent work! I like the look of that 8)

roG'Ner

ps - dont forget to add a head too! :lol:
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:42 am

Hi Dave, Looks Great, I like the proportions in particular 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Return to “Modelling Matters”