CA-Bedford van .. 1/25 (Gn15).

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

CA-Bedford van .. 1/25 (Gn15).

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Hmmm ............ Here's a quandary.

I've recently acquired, and started to build the Parts-box resin kit of the Bedford CA van.
It's most definitely being built in order to populate the Top Yard, and as such perhaps could constitute an accessory? But it is never the less a specific Vehicular build and perhaps its qaulification is less than? - It is however most specific in its Gn15 scale - very important!

Here's a pic' of it for those "young-uns" that have no idea what a Bedford CA looks like...............

Before I set to and start posting kit pic's and begin with the descriptions of "works" completed so far ............. well, I thought I'd best make sure everyone is happy with the subject, and the notion??
Last edited by Little Andi. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Memories are made of this! I used to use one of these as a service van back in the '60s. In the summer had to drive with the doors open, just had to remember to take your hand off the door post before braking, else the doorswould shut on your hand :shock:

In the winter you had to wrap sacks around your legs to stop them from freezing. .........as the heater was an "Extra" the boss wouldn't pay for them.

So really looking forward to your build Andi.

Trev
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Funny Trev, was just wondering if Andi was going to model the van with the doors in the open position...

David
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

kevinti28
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: GN15 and 7/8ths modeller

Postby kevinti28 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Trevor

Mine was a "Dormobile" conversion and had canvas straps which hooked around the door handles to stop them sliding shut .......

What memories: 3 speed column gear change and just enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding :lol:

Did yours have the rattling front bumper, which never stopped however tight you did up the bumper bolts!!

Looking at the kit, is it a mark 2 CA with the bigger side windows?
Kevin

Change is inevitable ....... except from ticket machines.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Most definitely Gn15, believe the origonal owner purchased specifically for that purpose :lol:

david colley jnr wrote:Funny Trev, was just wondering if Andi was going to model the van with the doors in the open position...

David

Oh YES David, both side doors opened, bonnet up , interior engine cover removed so that the tappets can be adjusted you can sit the rocker cover in the front passenger well .............. back doors open, rear wheel spats at least one removed and the rear wheel carrier lowered so that spare can be got at

Always happy to help & support Andi :wink:

EDIT

sorry forgot the front grill will need to be removed , as well the radiator and shroud as the water pump needs some work as well
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:05 pm

gfadvance wrote:Oh YES David, both side doors opened, bonnet up , interior engine cover removed so that the tappets can be adjusted you can sit the rocker cover in the front passenger well .............. back doors open, rear wheel spats at least one removed and the rear wheel carrier lowered so that spare can be got at

Always happy to help & support Andi :wink:

EDIT
sorry forgot the front grill will need to be removed , as well the radiator and shroud as the water pump needs some work as well

Oh very smart!!! :? You know darn well the original owner stitched me up by flogging me this - and only because it's all but impossible to do any of those things - not with only one life time to do it in anyway.
It really is going to be the most monstrous challenge, and some pretty harsh decisions have been made already.

I'm just waiting to make sure this sort of build is acceptable on the forum? As mentioned my pitch is that it's a Dioramic accessory? And if it doesn't offend I'll try and produce a build thread of it. :!:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Please carry on and post Andi, I have a CA waiting in the wings to be built.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Mind you could always do the diesel conversion (Perkins 4.107 IIRC) :evil: That was so noisy you couldn't hear any individual rattles.........

Andi please KBO, non rail stuff is as important as the steel wheeled stuff.
Trevor

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 pm

That is one uh-uh-ugly van.
Ick.
Interesting the tales of close encounters of the Bedford kind :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Willow Creek Traction wrote:That is one uh-uh-ugly van.

Hi, Willow (is it Forrest?), Andi,
The early ones were ugly, but they got better. When I saw this thread earlier, I thought, 'Ooh, I like that, I want one'.... so I did a search.... found this page about someone else's build of the same model. Don't know if you've seen this Andi http://www.thepartsbox.com/BB/viewtopic ... 245&t=2202 but he is converting it to a later 'one piece' windscreen version. The page has some good clear prototype pics.
Kevin, my mum had a '63 ambulance converted to a 'motorhome', but a previous owner had fitted a 4 speed box, but left the 3 speed column change.... made finding the gear you wanted, in the place you expected it to be, very difficult. I was only 14/15, so never drove it, but my older brother hated it. Happy memories :D
Carry on Andi, I for one would love to follow your build.
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Ok guys ...................... I'll take it at the moment that no one has any deep objections to this build - Thank You. Please excuse me for appearing melodramatic, but just extending a courtesy whilst being politic.

Right then, as soon as I can get a few photies organised I'll post some Work in Progress shots. Because of the nature of the casting - thick walled slush casting; opening doors and the like is just infeasibly fraught and not something I really intend to waste a lifetime on. I am going to attempt to make posable steering though - much more worthwhile under the circumstances and a better use of effort methinks. I also intend for it to be a tradesman's vehicle so it can be "dressed" going some way hopefully to redress the lack of opening panels [In this instance a shame I know as the doors just lend themselves to it - but when you see how the shell is cast you'll understand the impossibility of the idea].

Steve......................

Check out this pic....................... - Now this is ugly!!

This is the first clue to what it is we're working with here - and also pretty much confirmed my suspicions that this was originally converted from a MkII panoramic window model to the splitscreen MkI we're now working on - more of which later.

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Little Andi. wrote: I'm just waiting to make sure this sort of build is acceptable on the forum? As mentioned my pitch is that it's a Dioramic accessory? And if it doesn't offend I'll try and produce a build thread of it.

Sounds fine to me Andi, if the forum was restricted to strictly railway subjects it would get a bit boring imho, to me the scenic side of things is just as interesting and any thread related to stuff in the relevant scale to go on a Gn15 layout is fine, whether it's vehicles, buildings, flowers or whatever...

Always happy to see more of your work anyway :D
Ian K
Be seeing you...

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:16 am

Hey Andi.............. the nice people on this forum have let me post a Road Roller before now and what the hell has that got to do with narrow gauge!!!

Have to express my disappointment that you were not up for the challenge on the opening doors ...................... Only kidding, I've seen that moulding and you would need a power saw to get through that shell.

look forward to seeing what you do with it
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:37 am

Hey Gordon .................. Yes it is a shame, but as and when I can get some more pic's up it'll be obvious to all.
The doors as cast are about a quarter of an inch thick - and to model them open I'd have to thin them down to about a mil' thick in order to sit outside of the rear van sides, which in turn would have to be built back up because you've cut them out with the doors and then sanded them off - Seriously - life really is just too short. Perhaps back in a day when I was building for contests I might of tried moulding a new door out of ally sheet and then stripping the old door off and remodelling the van side and door aperture - but as mentioned my sanity is becoming more important to me as it becomes increasingly questioned!! :shock:

And I think more realistically, there are so many areas of this kit that are going to need to be addressed! - I think I'm going to run the risk of "burn-out" before I get to any trick modelling. No - my minds pretty much made up ............. most of the allure will come from the dressing up!

Oh .............. and thanks for selling me this kit - I THINK?

Cheers bloke!!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 am

Well Andi its pretty obvious the van went to a good home, I am seriously looking forward to seeing what you do to it ............. with your previous model history it should be interesting !!

Can't remember if I mentioned it when we were discussing 1950's trucks ... I really am going to have a go at at decent 8 wheeler but I am also "trying" to build a van

and if it ever gets past a lump of balsa with a lot of filler....... although it may not look like it there is hardly a straight line in these things ...... I will ride shotgun for you and post another van thread
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 am

Ooo - Shiny!

Love them ................. Like you I've often thought they would make a great project, and I'm glad to hear you're making an attempt - also glad to see you'll now be posting progress.

You've had a lot of success with scratch projects so I too am looking forward to seeing how you tackle this. Are you working from plans or drawings?? I'd like to see your thinking and preparations too.

So, no pressure then :wink: [Just thought I'd return the compliment].

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Okie-Cokie then ..............

First official update, or WIP, or SBS ............... take your pick.

To my mind the first glaring anomaly in this body shell is the front screens. They're just so terribly wrong, now I'd decided not to do a Factory stock build but rather what's known as Rep' stock [Replica]. This gives one the latitude of being able to stray or deviate from the Factory spec's and produce a rendition that copies a "living" example. Actually it's a bit of a get-out clause to stop the nasal rivet counters giving you a hard time!!

So here's a pic' of the real item ................ as a kid/youth I wouldn't have given them a second glance - but in hindsight they're pretty cute and funky looking.

Notice how they have a "raised eyebrow" look to them...............

........... and that this has a distinct - "furrowed brow" look to it. The tops of the screens are just too flat, or level.

The window bead is waaay to thick and clumsy looking - and although a difficult thing to replicate this has got to go.

Which leads us to our first serious problem...............................

See that little bit of grey above the offside window beading? That is transparent resin - the whole of that top portion is wafer thin and is going to collapse as soon as I try and work the new shape of the windows - Grrrrr..already.

Anyhoo ..................... here's the other side cut out and put into something more sympathetic to its natural shape............

]
It can be seen that I've managed to recover some panel work under the screen and used that"shift" to take the aperture higher into the roof-line.

Here's a pic of the dodgy side now out and with a bit of styrene infill bonded into the aperture. the windows just simply do not fit into the body equally and so I've had to try and build up the outside a bit in order to centralise them - not successfully it transpires but it is starting to "taste" like a Bedford CA now....................

I've realised that I'm only going to be able to replicate the essence of this build at best ............. more a case of refining what's already here rather than trying to remodel every single anomaly.

This is how I intend to replace the glazing beads. It's a fussy little process but yields good results if you can persevere................

Here's an example from a million years ago........
This was quite complex - especially the rear window - but it does go to show how versatile the technique is?

Meanwhile back on-topic...................... this is how simple the procedure is.................

Just florists wire - thin cyno and blu-tac .......... Oh and a goodly dollop of patience.

Here she is replete..........................

Notice that I've placed a thinner wire around the inside of the side windows ready to receive the glasswork. Perhaps other things to note are new dentals, the originals were lost when I opened the grill up - Oh, and the grills been opened up. It looks appalling in this shot, they're not quite as bad as they look here, as most of the discrepancy's are because of the wavering state of the interior. The grill has had a lot of work done do it. The slots are now level on the outside and not angled, the inside edges are square and not round and the upper slots have their single downward slope to them - I'm still very unhappy with the grille seeing as it's such an important part of the "look". But I've also got to be realistic in what I can expect from this build.
The front vents have been engraved, as has the rain gutter around the roof, the slider capping has been replaced with something just a tiny bit more prototypical and wire beading has been placed into the engraved lines to represent panel gaskets.
Absolute loads of panel sanding to try and bring things just a little more in line with what one expects to see, and I suspect there's a lot more fiddling to do yet.................

See you next time.................

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Better shaped windows do improve its looks.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Looking good Andi! .
You could of course go for the "winterisation" kit on the radiator grill..........couple of Hessian potato sacks held on with binding wire (or sash cord).......
Trevor

Mike Bellamy
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn member

Postby Mike Bellamy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm another with memories of the CA as my father had one in the early 1960s - side windows and bench seats for us kids and still room for his plumbing tools at the back.

Found another build report which also comments on the wrong shape windows and he also has a picture of the same maroon and grey original. Such a pity that you have all that extra work to do when it would have been so much easier to get it right in the first place!
http://forum.truckmodelworld.com/defaul ... ts&m=27767

Good luck

Mike
Mike

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Father had one as a company van once, sign written in liu of payment for a job he did. Took six month to sign write in the old fashion methods. One side was fantastic, the other, basic to say the least!
I remember going to Wales on holiday, mid September with the sliding doors open and a yellow velour sofa in the back with my two great aunts perched aloof whilst I was sitting on the floor.
Happy days, rattling like billy-oh and never quite reaching 40mph...

Andi. My dare to you is to provide improvised seating in the rear for your merry workers to perch upon whilst they travel to their destination and perhaps an AA chappie looking deep into the engine bay with a dog end hanging limply from his lips, probably whilst stripping down the fuel filter....

This build is looking really nice sofar. I'm looking forward to the ex bt yellow paint job, presuming the sign writing has been hastily "touched up" in a different shade ;)

David.
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Postby Booga » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm tempted to treat myself to one of these models for when I finally convince SWMBO to give me the space for a layout, I do like a classic van! I remember these and some of the early Sherpas being driven around with the doors open.

On a slightly different modelling subject I've raced a few radio controlled vans in 1/12 scale radio control banger racing (yes it does exist!) including a Mk2 Ford Transit campervan and a Sherpa post office van and ambulance! :lol:
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Thought this might be a useful photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackcount ... otostream/

sorry had to post link , download option disabled.
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Ahhhh! ................. You mean this one.

Yes I had seen this one - having scoured the net for pic's trying to figure out what's what with this kit ... I do appreciate the time taken to point it out though.
I think this pic' highlights perfectly though why it would be such a task to open the doors .......... they appear wafer thin in this pic' and yet are represented on the model by a scale 5 inches thick. I know everyone would love to see this kit built with the doors open - and I'm sure several folk have bought it thinking they might just do that; I'm equally sure there are a lot of kits abandoned on shelves as well. Indeed this very one was an orphan as such!!
This image does illustrate the kind of finish I'll be aiming for though. And I'm going to have to find a set of "Town and Country" tyres for the rear - those are pretty cool.

Merry Christmas all............................. :wink:

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Andi
The Bburago 1/24th series 3 Land rover has some pretty good tyres that shouldn't be far off the same size. I think the Landy comes with chrome 8 spokes.... there's an idea!
My Mum calls me Steve.

1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !

And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

Return to “Modelling Matters”