Well you've kind of pre-empted me actually. I was working towards an update but like you things have as usual got in the way.
However I think seeing as you asked, and knowing that you just will not shut-up until you see something; here's a short update to give me a bit of breathing space?
This as a reminder of where we started.......
And moving on a little................................
Perhaps the main things of note here are:- The straightening of the rear "van-body" panels, the building up of the rear wheel spats - the whole thing is so far out that to try and build it as per the prototype would require just too much work that would just result in throwing another measurement out - so with some judicious "pushing and pulling" I've managed to create the illusion of what I'm after if not museum accuracy.
I've created the "flat-top" effect to the front wheel arch, built up the froward and rear edges of same and re-profiled them to something more akin to the vehicle itself. Re-scribed the door and engraved it to get a better feel for the notion that it is a sliding assembly, and also built the base of the door up ready to create the running seam against it. Filled the completely wrong fuel filler door and filled the spat to "proud"! as I want this to appear slightly "ill-fitting" ready for distressing when it comes time to decorate it.
But just look!! - at the "HUGE" droop in the rain gutter and door valance - Oh groan - one repair just throws into view - yet another problem!!!
So, what's going on here then? - well you can see more modelling around the front wheel arch, more subtlety and a softer feel to to look of it, a deeper shut line" for the door with the leading edge lowered below the level of the front wing - again to give the feel of being two separate items as opposed to just a single adjoining surface. There has been a lot of scraping and modelling of the front wing where it meets the A post and makes the transition around from the bonnet to the side of the vehicle - nothing outrageous just enough to take the "Die-cast toy" look off of it.
The body panel has been shortened awaiting the rear door seem. And obviously a new door valance and rain gutter - still awaiting a little more reducing and shaping but I think already looking a whole lot better?
Final shaping of the rear wheel spat and now waiting for it's "wire" seam, plus a newly scribed fuel filler door, although I think the "finger pull" is a bit big and will need "knocking back" a touch.
A quick look around the front - mainly to allow us to see that all the judicious scraping a sanding is beginning to result in a much "sharper" look to the front and it's starting to really carry that "pugnacious" quality of the original. Only real work of note is the "line" placed between the screens and through to the roof this will form the spine of the subtle "V" that's again a distinctive styling cue of the MkI version of the original. The later Mk's carrying a shallow and then much deeper panoramic single piece screen.
More soon hopefully.............
KBO .......................... Andi.