CA-Bedford van .. 1/25 (Gn15).

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey all......................

Just a short post to act as an apology actually.

I was hoping to have an update for you all by now but stuff in general has got in the way, I have a lifetimes worth of jobs to do around the place and just keeping everything on an even keel seems to take up all the free time I can scrape together. So, I decided today that "bugger" the guilt I was finally going to get these darned windows glazed in the Bedford. I've done them so many times already and I just can't get them up to muster. Never the less I Stripped out the window frames that I had installed and rebuilt new better ones?? - Started on the glazing a week or so ago and today was to be the final push.
Long story short I've just jiggered the whole darn lot up - and I've yet to start again - AGAIN!
Anyhow - just thought I'd have a bit of a whinge - and explain why nothing has been forth coming as of late.

PLEASE - don't ever anybody suggest that I do any other version of this model................. I'm already having flashbacks and developing one of those "thousand yard stares"!!!

Soon............ hopefully - soon?
KBO .......................... Andi.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Oh dear, what an "epic adventure".
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Excuses, excuses ............ if you don't get a move on be tempted to send you another one :lol: :lol:
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 pm

gfadvance wrote:Excuses, excuses ............ if you don't get a move on be tempted to send you another one :lol: :lol:

As ever Gordon - thanks for your continued support - I know I can always rely on you :P ................Where's a mate when you need one?

Actually, kidding aside - managed this afternoon to get a full set of windows done, and I would of managed to get a few pic's but I had an all too rare invite out to dinner - a full Sunday roast; no romance alas but plenty of stuffing never-the-less.
So, hoping to have a small update at least coming very soon - this last portion of the build has been a real slog, and it has felt particularly hard won.
But if it works out well it will be worth it - although I have invoked the "F.I" factor if only to preserve ones sanity. I'm already not looking forward to starting on the back doors - and I dare not even think about the interior yet - just getting the thing to fit in place is going to be bad enough.

But - onwards and upwards as they say................. pic's soon..........

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Earwig-Ho.............

Again I start with an apology!! ......... I must admit that I've gotten myself into a stress about keeping up some kind of a rhythm with the updates, and what with one thing and another I felt as though I'd slipped behind somewhat. I know that's not how it's not supposed to be? But, it does help to keep one motivated even through this last "bear" of a stage.

So, second apology before the pic's - They're all [windows] pretty grimy! I've fixed them in temporarily with Blu-tac and Pratt stick - and this has left them looking a bit second hand - this will be addressed at final assembly - or I'll hide it with some judicious road-dirt on the windows.

On then........................

How disgusting is this???? - It's a bliddy mess in here, and folk wondered why I wasn't prepared to open the doors - I'd still be in the "clean-up" stage.
Main thing to note though is the rebate that I've cut around the inside of the glazing wires - bit difficult to see but should be apparent. This took a long time because of the disparity between the "chalky" nature of the resin and the "diamond hard" dry cyano. Blew one set of wire surrounds out and had to redo them once - couple of three repairs too.

Here's the inside of the side windows - you really are going to have to forgive me the state of the interior here. But you can see from the pic' a new set of "frames", these work better from the outside and look a bit more authentic than the wires I moulded in originally........... again with the rebate.

And now from the outside ........... the frame even in the raw looks a lot better to my eye, and I've cracked open the sliding window for a more "lived in" effect - the drivers [other] side more so!

And from the front ............... because I've got to take the screens out again they're not pressed "home" but you can see how they fit closer to the surface of the steelwork ridding the model of that horrible tunnel effect you get from kits/diecasts etc.
You can probably also see the "yellow" milliput that I've used to flush the surrounding steelwork to the wire frames and also build up the "widows peak" or "Vee" into the screen, this is subtle but definitely there on the early "splitscreen" CA's. More work to do around the wheel arch but some of that texture is being kept for R&R [Rot and Rust] later in the build.

I'm glad this bits over as I had convinced myself it was going to be a kill-or-cure part of the build - and so it was. But glad that it's I'm confident enough to continue........... although now I've got those ruddy awful back doors to sort out.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Now you see what a few sharps words do ! :lol:

Excellent, that van definitely went to the right home. I have some appreciation of the work that is going into it in general and specifically around those windows ................. keep up the great work

Now no pressure but would appreciate an update on the back doors say by the end of the week :wink:
Gordon F

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the interior - such a shame using a one piece mould - apparently the master was better but the caster (a woman but that doesn't matter - honest :D ) chose this method.

Not sure if you need photos but I took these at Gaydon in 2010

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q220 ... CA%20pics/
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Andrew............... thanks for the link, I've been using those already as there's some great little detail pic's amongst them - trouble the better the reference the more obliged you are to duplicate what you can see!!!

So, thanks - I think ............... :?

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Another hard won update it would seem?

Been having the devils own job getting some bench time lately, and I think to be honest I've been avoiding it a bit too as I'm starting to feel like this darned thing is fighting me at every turn. I know the excuses are starting to wear a bit thin but I can still see the problems stretching out in front of me - time to turn up the FI factor methinks.

As so anon then....................

First things first - I've scribed out the door shut-lines to form a better illusion of them being moveable surfaces, cleaned off the hinge and the window surround detail. I felt this was a bit clumsy and also thought I wanted them to be "opened" up - we'll see how much of a mistake that was!!
So, marked them up and drilled four radiused corners.

A simple shot of the resulting orifice............. note how thick the wall depth is, this is better than most but is still inconsistent in its depth and will cause silly problems later.

Here you start to see where my wisdom let me down somewhat? - I couldn't rebate from the back due to the inconsistencies of the wall thickness, plus it was a tough reach to perform anything particularly subtle by way of rebating. So I chose to rebate from the front, notion being to "glaze and fill" but the wall thickness wasn't the only inconsistencies. The resin itself was exhibiting all sorts of different characteristics - brittle hard in places then sort of chalky like soapstone making it a heck of a job to gain any kind of accuracy in the engraving - in the kits defence though I'm pretty poor at it! ......... note favourite home made tools for engraving therein!!
Actually that little chisel [with blue trim] is one of my "Go to" tools that I have on my bench all the time and usually reach for first - it's a broken "slotting file" that I ground a chisel edge to and jammed into an old wooden handle. I'll be lost when it wears out or breaks.

Here's just a quick pic' of the first method of making the wire frame - this I thought of as I needed to make two identical ........ you may at this point guffaw! It was actually way too soft to make a consistant form and I gave up the idea after several failed attempts. In the end I went with what I know and just formed one in the hand to a drawn pattern and then tweaked as necessary.

And here it is with an acetate window trapped beneath. I shall "backfill" the door frame once it's glued in firmly and just leave a small ridge of wire around to represent the rubber seal.
Having said this it was such a bliddy bear to get this far I have zero confidence in being able to produce another window that will be the same size and in the same place as the first. Perhaps back in a day I would of took it in my stride but I think this thing has got me a bit gun shy?
So I've come up with an idea to establish a back-story that entails the other window being sheeted over either as a poor repair or even as a means to mount a steel roof ladder against the door - But in truth if I have to struggle with this darn thing much more it'll go back in the box to "give me a rest" and basically never see the light of day again.

And it it's a great subject - the only game in town ........... so it deserves better than that. Plus Gordon only flogged it me because he assumed I was actually going to finish it................ grrr!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm

OK Andi can't take much more of this misery , I'll take it off your hands say twenty quid if you throw in the postage :lol:

Sorry, lets see if I can help or hinder ............... can understand your concerns over producing a second identical window, something I can never do produce 2 identical bits. However how about taking a mould of the window you have done ..... you will have better ideas but this is how I might approach it ;-

lump of plasticine inside body to cover the inside of the window

oil/grease outside then smooth on a good lump of that body filler you use

When hard ease off, oil/grease mould another lump of filler into mould

When hard trim to rectangular shape say about 5mm bigger all round than window, and carve/cut rebate for glass ...this should be easier than doing it to the body shell

Cut out this size in door, fit in moulded piece and blend in edges

Finally cut out new window opening back to your moulded rubber trim .... fit glass

As I say you will have other/better ideas but hope it helps
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Well ................ finally, an update of sorts.

I really have struggled for some reason or other, I think perhaps on a build like this there seems no respite, one solution just leads to the next problem.
Having said that the thought of having to cut a duplicate window filled me with real dread - but I've managed it to a lesser or greater degree?

Here you go then...............

Both windows cut out and looking reasonably similar??

So then of course you cut the glass to suit - glue it in [smearing glass more it seems by trying to be careful not to]! Fix wire surrounds and then slather in green goop.

A bit rough looking I know - kind of sort of meant to do that - you'll see later that the doors have been strained and roughly treated, lots of damage due to being worked hard - it remains to be seen if I can pull it off and it not just look like a really bad piece of modelling?
The glazing will be restored with future but will only be patinated again eventually.
I've tried to show these hinges in a step by step fashion, you should be able to work out how they go together - if you squint hard enough [9 pieces per hinge].

Still a bit ropey looking but you can see the "sprung" doors here [still thinking about doing one of the bottom corners too] - I'm hoping I can bring out the best bits and hide the worst when it comes to detail painting??

The rear is finally looking a bit more complete - if not decidedly scruffy, the large "buffer" looking objects are in fact a rubber fitting that the indicators sit on - they need shortening a touch - although to the eye they look right enough? There are discs faired in ready for the brake lights and the reflectors.
I know it's only a small victory, and not obvious to the general viewer but in this pic' I've noticed with much satisfaction just how straight and true the panels are looking - nice! ...............As I said - small victory's.

And just another shot to give you an alternative angle to the dangle.

The worrying thing - I know in the grand scheme of things I've only just started this bliddy thing..................

................................................... :cry:

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Little Andi. wrote:The worrying thing - I know in the grand scheme of things I've only just started this bliddy thing..................

................................................... :cry:

Too early in the evening for such sobering thoughts ... soldier on! :lol:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Andi,

This is a work of art and a labour of love, please keep going - one day it will be finished and there won't be another one like it in existance.

There will be however, a large number of Bedford CA fans and modellers envious of your skills and patience. Can't wait to see the colour scheme.
Kind regards
Mark

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 am

Nice ................ very nice!

Tremendous work and progress Andi.

The detail you have added will really come into its own when you start the painting, your favourite bit, the rear doors while a huge amount of work are certainly going to look great with lots of character.

Think you summed up my feeling with your comments "about how straight it all was looking" ............... so true you have managed to transform a bit of a blob into a Bedford CA van !

With this transformation I may even get off your case for a few days ........ don't take a rest use the time wisely and keep going, it will be a classic
Gordon F

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Fantastic work Andi. I admire your tenacious spirit chap.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 pm

As ever cheps a stuttering update ....................

If you think this is getting tiresome imagine how I feel? But, onward and upward as they say.

Right then after firckling around the back [!!!] I thought it time to move back to the front - and groan - now I remember why!!

Just look at those headlights??

Everything is just so soft and wrong, now I'm realistic in my abilities to repair these discrepancy's and even though I get frustrated at my struggles to achieve what it is I'm after ............... I just don't seem to be able to invoke the FI factor and simply move on!

As a quick aside you might notice I just had to get rid of those louvres and replace them with something a bit more robust.
Also ...................Those resin bezels were taken off and I sourced a new pair from the spares box. These were offered up and bedded into a dollop of Green milliput - taking care to orientate and align them.

Once the bezels were removed it gave me a new set of headlight buckets with which to reshape the front of the wings - probably not picture perfect but a much more sympathetic shape considering the original. ......... [Even these just look better don't they, or is it just me]?

Once dry they're given a basic shape and then a topcoat of "white" putty [so I can see where I'm going/been]. Just smoothed at the mo' with a wet finger??

Bezels back in so I can finalise the shape of the wings.

And then with a large part of the shaping done. There'll be more obviously but absolute final licks will be done after some primer-filler coats so I can really see what I'm dealing with.

Might be worth noting that there is a new trim piece [upper lip] - this just makes the lower lip now look all bad - and I'm really resisting the temptation to rip out the grille and replace it with a new sheet one [groan].

It's starting to look better though isn't it ------- Isn't it?

Double PS ............................................ I posted this I into another thread but it didn't sit well so I deleted it .......... and now post it here in my own thread.
So this is the reason I've slowed to a crawl with barely any bench time at all..............

Gus - slayer of daffodils.

Tibetan terrier - 14wks ................ swings wildly between lunacy and unbelievable cuteness

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu May 03, 2012 7:12 pm

OK before all the praise a question, where do get those bezels? They look great and even appear to have a bulb?

You certainly are puting the work in on this aren't you but it's worth it Andi its looking really good and a vast improvement on the original ......... Keep going there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Before we allocate the next round work/modifications to you can you post as a shot straight on of the front it may just be the angle that is making you wonder about the grill
Gordon F

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Wow Andi,

You super detailing is amazing.
I must confess (not having seen the actual van in real life), that I looked at your first photo and read the caption "Just look at those headlights?? Everything is just so soft and wrong" and thouth to myself; - Looks OK to me!

But having seen what you ended up with it does look better now. 5 minutes well spent, eh :wink: . (Just joking, I know you spent hours doing that :lol: ).

I can tell you are really frustrated tring to get it absolutly perfect. I'm sure you will be pleased with the end result.
I would have said- good enough for me -, and chucked the paint on it. I guess that what makes people like you stand out above the average person like me who can't be bothered with superdetailing.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 am

Not sure about being a diorama piece Andi, this will deserve a glass case in a museum somewhere by the time you finish it.
I do admire your devotion to getting it right and sure it will look terrific when you finish.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Andi,

Your van is progressing so well! I have to say this kind of modelling (vans and cars) hasn't really been something I have considered until seeing your work.

As for Gus, what a sweet little chap. Looks no trouble to me :wink:
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Serious perfectionism and attention to detail here Andi 8)

You're transforming the slightly blobby original into something special, and knowing your skill at painting and detailing I'm looking forward to seeing it finished :D

p.s. Cute dog! 8)
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Well, I succumbed to my apparent need for self harm! - and decided I really couldn't live with the grill - truth be told I couldn't ignore how bad it was right from the get-go as they say. But I was hoping that I could "go blind" regards the problems.
However, having posted this about - I cross pollinate a couple or so of boards [apologies to those that are present on those boards also]. The general consensus was that I should give it a go or live with the regret - and I think that's what swung me......... knowing that I didn't do it when I could of.

Anyway, here's how it started........................

This is what I'd arrived at - and in hindsight it was even worse than I'd remembered - it's no wonder I was a bit downcast by it!!

And this gives us a little insight into the less obvious problem!!
Once the grille is marked up on the vehicle you can see how the kit grill is pyramidal in its nature - the actual grille is if fact parallel with just two nostrils above............ you'll see at the end - and what a difference it makes subconsciously.

Open wide!!! .............. this was harder than it looks than just cutting the hole into the model. I spent quite some time working out the spacing and just what I had to work with in order to make it look right - there's a bit of fudging going on over the assembly but it came out better than it was - I think/hope?

And speaking of assembly this is how it happened - basically cutting over wide strips these were "notched" into the grille opening and then a spacer placed below and than above to give support and provide the basis for the central wide bar that appears in the original.
Bottom left you can see the little tool that I made up in order to make sure the next "notch" above was both accurate and level for the next bar.

This was frustrating - I was so wrapped up in getting the spacing right I'd completely overlooked the depth element of the grille. and there is a marked "proudness" to the centre of the grille leaving a decidedly unflattering "flat" look to it. Thus I ended up "skinning" the grille bars in order to give me the necessary depth to sand back into; and I was quite annoyed with myself too as I know from experience the more you introduce and fuss at something the more opportunities you find for buggering it up.

BUT - after much fiddling, filing, filling and sanding - we arrive at something akin to the original grille, the radiused ends were just filled with a bit of Milliput and then "swizzled" with a wet drill shank - once cleaned up I think it worked remarkably well?
It's much neater now, both the height and depth of the bars - and see what I mean about the parallel nature of the grilles - much better - huh?

I'm close to the point where I have to put it into primer [eek] which no doubt make some of it look better for pulling it together - and worse because it'll highlight those many flaws I know I'll find.

You could of course probably pick this to pieces as it is - but I'm calling it done - and so you don't have to scroll back up and back down here's the starting point again....................

Sorry it's been a bit slow - this has been a bit more involved that I'd hoped. Gus is being a complete horror and the optician was startled to find I could do anything at all!!! - New [bliddy expensive] spec's might help a bit??

Cheers chep's.................

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed May 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Absolutely bloody magic Andi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt that unless somebody has tried this sort of rebuild they could appreciate the time, effort & complete frustration that comes with this sort of work .................. but its certainly proving worth it .

I pinched some photos from your thread just to show at a glance where you have come from ................ and how close it is now to the origonal

And this just shows what you achieved at the front, and ignores the changes made on the sides and back
Gordon F

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed May 23, 2012 7:04 pm

What a challenging piece of work Andi.
Its all looks easy when you see nice big close-up pictures of your outstanding work. But I know that dealing with tiny pieces of styrene is really challenging and there is no-way I could produce something that neat.

Grand result. well done! 8)
So is it ready for painting now? or what are you planning to change next?

Glen.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed May 23, 2012 9:06 pm

That's how museum quality models are born.

That truck is ugly as sin - which makes it paradoxically kinda grow on ya.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”