CA-Bedford van .. 1/25 (Gn15).

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 am

How sad is this? .......... A Christmas day update!!

Really just a continuation of the work being done to try and make sense of this kit.
Here you can see a more forward view revealing noticeably more wire work. Mainly this is done to represent the "pinch seams" that form the edges of certain panels. The door being an obvious one, hopefully it can be seen that the wire is left unfilled as it meets the body panel but yet filled in as it meets the door - I'm envisaging that when painted the resultant gap should provide a better illusion.
The other obvious use is in the seam that runs along the bottom of the van itself, this is complicated by the deviation as it runs up and around the wheel spats - also the door had to be lowered in order that it could appear to run under and behind it.
Two not so obvious additions are the increased width of the door pillar and the very subtle "flat spot" at the top of the front wheel arch.

I'll be working my way around the back soon and then a repeat on the other side [I always find that the tedious part - duplicating work already done]........... anyhoo ......... onwards and upwards

Merry Christmas everyone.
KBO .......................... Andi.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Not sad at all Andi ............... I for one am grateful for the update!

You are making good progress, I'm expecting this to be the best model of one these vans and I'm glad I decided not to attempt it.

If its any consolation spent the last hour or so trying to get the front of the J type sorted out ........... a bit like yours the transition from the windscreen to the roof is going to be one of the key areas in capturing the character

Lots of strength in those A frames ??

Think I might be going more for character than accuracy :wink:

Keep the updates coming, I may well miss the Queen's speech to check for more
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey Gordon................... That makes us both a pair of sad buggers then? Christmas day and we're both at the bench - actually I say that like it's a bad thing??

I'm going to be a pain and ask again whether you're working from drawings for the J-type build or are you eye-balling it? As mentioned I've had that little bugger in the back of my mind for many years - but had settled on an electric delivery van first as it was a little more angular - and hopefully easier?

Also found a great Truck cab - so that might be in the offing at some point in a Galaxy far far away :shock:

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Little Andi. wrote:I'm going to be a pain and ask again whether you're working from drawings for the J-type build or are you eye-balling it?

A bit of both , rather than clutter up your thread, I'll start a new one with some details

Little Andi. wrote:Also found a great Truck cab -

OK give with the details , now!
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am

Come on Andi,

I've delivered on the plans ................... now what this about a truck cab ?

impatiently tapping fingers!!!!!!!!!
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Groan ............ hoist by mine own petard!!

Here you go then ..................

And here's the caption............. taken from a book - which I think you might have??

Hope you're not disappointed? - but there are several things that make this a practical build over a Factory stock rendition of one of the classics - [perhaps of which another time].
Basically this is a reworking of the already available Emhar O series Bedford truck - ergo all the really hard work like wheels tyres and underpinnings are already made for me - HUGE Bonus.
The cab itself is made as a bespoke item releasing me from any nasal rivet counting, and also gives me permission to "wing it" should the need arise. I have photographic proof of its provenance so satisfy my own integrity clause should I ever have to defend myself at the hands of said NRC's.
It's also local to me being in my own county and pretty much where the Top Yard is located ............. and it sits in the photo straddling a narrow gauge line - [That should get a few folk moist].

Basically it's a bit of an easy/easier "in" into the notion of building a few "Classic" truck models - or dioramic accessories as they're officially known as here there-abouts.

OK - Happy now ??????????????? :wink: 8)

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:02 pm

This is going to interesting , I reckon I am about 2/3rds of the way thro' building that!

As you say I have the book, and my logic for the build was almost exactly the same as yours ............. so no argument there.

Now what is they say ..... great minds seldom differ or is it fools think alike ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordon F

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Wow that is a very different truck. While the radiator is undoubtably Bedford any idea that the chassis really was - the wheel hubs don't look Bedford to me.

Can't wait to the what will be a very unique model completed.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Little Andi. wrote:...... taken from a book - which I think you might have??

OK, I'll bite, what's the title of the book Andi?

Thank you for posting this thread. I'm keeping an eye on what you are doing to the CA, and learning a lot (which is a bonus) :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Barry,
"The Great British Lorry", the history of road transport in Britain.

A great read, wonderful photos most of which I have not seen before ... and I have a reasonable library .... 130 pages £7.95
Publisher Ian Allan ISBN 978-0-7110-3692-5

Copies were still available in W H Smiths today

Paul

Now lets not spoil Andi's fun ................. although I happen to agree with you, I think it may have been based on a 4 ton Guy, maybe a Vixen or Wolf ......... but even if thats right the wheels have to have come from another source (Ford?)

I'll be counting rivets next :lol:

Image Guy Wolf

Andi

OK my build is 2/3 rds done but only from the back -end, so I will leave this one to you and convert mine to an early Foden ( don't you worry about me now having to rip the back axle off so I can change it to a worm gear set up) :roll:
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:18 am

And talking about worm gear axles - did I ever show you this little monster?

Any idea ?

Nothing too difficult ........ it's the axle for the Model-TT [1/25th], I tried to cast this up but it was an unmitigated disaster. Even though what you see here splits into three separate parts - Axle and diff' unit, transverse spring assembly and the hub housing, it pretty much defeated me - I haven't got the patience to cast - or perhaps I was trying to do it on the fly and it just got away from me.
Anyway the truth of the matter is that it caused the project to stall and I still just have a box full of parts awaiting the call to arms again.

I'll try and get some work done on the CA - just to try and swing this thread back into line - although I'm enjoying chatting.

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Great work on the CA, much better than my screens (I did post it on here some time ago)

I also opened up the grille and like you found the resin unbelievably thick. For anyone wanting to follow, Andy at http://model-cars.org.uk/showproducts.p ... gory=RESIN BODIES & KITS does a version with a seperate grille which may work easier but has no wheels or floorpan.

Having seen this though, I may have to have another go at mine!!
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 am

As I have had a particularly un-productive week or two , thought I go and kick the cat .... can't find her so second best....... :lol: :lol: .....

Come on Andi I expected it finished by now :wink: .............. especially after the Xmas day burst of activity
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Well you've kind of pre-empted me actually. I was working towards an update but like you things have as usual got in the way.
However I think seeing as you asked, and knowing that you just will not shut-up until you see something; here's a short update to give me a bit of breathing space?

This as a reminder of where we started.......

And moving on a little................................

Perhaps the main things of note here are:- The straightening of the rear "van-body" panels, the building up of the rear wheel spats - the whole thing is so far out that to try and build it as per the prototype would require just too much work that would just result in throwing another measurement out - so with some judicious "pushing and pulling" I've managed to create the illusion of what I'm after if not museum accuracy.
I've created the "flat-top" effect to the front wheel arch, built up the froward and rear edges of same and re-profiled them to something more akin to the vehicle itself. Re-scribed the door and engraved it to get a better feel for the notion that it is a sliding assembly, and also built the base of the door up ready to create the running seam against it. Filled the completely wrong fuel filler door and filled the spat to "proud"! as I want this to appear slightly "ill-fitting" ready for distressing when it comes time to decorate it.
But just look!! - at the "HUGE" droop in the rain gutter and door valance - Oh groan - one repair just throws into view - yet another problem!!!

So, what's going on here then? - well you can see more modelling around the front wheel arch, more subtlety and a softer feel to to look of it, a deeper shut line" for the door with the leading edge lowered below the level of the front wing - again to give the feel of being two separate items as opposed to just a single adjoining surface. There has been a lot of scraping and modelling of the front wing where it meets the A post and makes the transition around from the bonnet to the side of the vehicle - nothing outrageous just enough to take the "Die-cast toy" look off of it.
The body panel has been shortened awaiting the rear door seem. And obviously a new door valance and rain gutter - still awaiting a little more reducing and shaping but I think already looking a whole lot better?
Final shaping of the rear wheel spat and now waiting for it's "wire" seam, plus a newly scribed fuel filler door, although I think the "finger pull" is a bit big and will need "knocking back" a touch.

A quick look around the front - mainly to allow us to see that all the judicious scraping a sanding is beginning to result in a much "sharper" look to the front and it's starting to really carry that "pugnacious" quality of the original. Only real work of note is the "line" placed between the screens and through to the roof this will form the spine of the subtle "V" that's again a distinctive styling cue of the MkI version of the original. The later Mk's carrying a shallow and then much deeper panoramic single piece screen.

More soon hopefully.............

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Well done Andi .............. it really is beginning to look the business, I can appreciate the amount of work you have done because it really is loosing its "jelly mould" look

Think I definitely made the right decision :wink:

p.s. thought for a horrible moment you had bought another one(1st picture) but thank god its only a reflection in the mirror
Gordon F

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 am

You know Andi and you as well Gordon! I sometimes wonder about how much work you put into modifying kits that are what seem to be suspect given your standards. Why you don't just start from scratch in the first place?

That said, I have fond memories of tooling around Southern England in the late sixties in a Bedford Van with a group of close friends before emigrating to Canada in 1967.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Andrew .......... sorry I didn't respond to the pic' of your build until now, this is what comes of some lunatic Scotsman constantly harassing you for updates [although it does provide a bit of a well needed nudge at times].
I was aware of your build, and had studied your build posts at length - although I don't think here?? It was a while ago and I may have just come across a build thread via google? Yours works quite well, and it readily reads as the subject it's meant to represent. In fact I think placed in a diorama you would just view it has part of the backscene and accept it on those terms alone. A notion I'm adopting myself, and I don't think I'm probably going that much further with my repairs and corrections. I think it's more about the "Look" of the original more than anything and so long as it carries a believable flavour I'll be pretty happy.
It's in my mind to try a variation of the Bedford truck cab - and I know in advance I'm going to take some real liberties with that build - life's just too short to not actually enjoy your hobby - something that was happening far too often when I was trying to build to others expectations and not my own.

Michael ............ good to speak again ....... and "yes" I know what you mean; but please see comment above.
I have a pal whom used to refer to something called his "Fi" factor, He claimed his was much lower than mine, but his builds didn't look on the surface to be any the less for it - and it irked me to say he seemed to be getting a lot more enjoyment out of his hobby, whereas I was always struggling with the latest little problem on the build.
It took me quite some time but eventually after much burn-out and angst I did indeed adopt his "Fi" factor - "How does it work"???

Quite easy to implement ............ you work on a project or a part thereof and as soon as you start to get a bit fractious or ratty, when things seem to spontaneously go wrong, when you've done the same bit three times and it still won't go right ....... you put the pieces down in front of you, take a deep calming breath, and repeat out loud ............."**** it".

There is a point on the scale [which is sliding] at which you're unable to go below, but it's amazing just how much you can come down without being able to see any discernible difference in your builds a month or two after you completed them.
It is a contentious issue I'll grant you - the better I make this CA Bedford look the more it'll appear as though that's how the kit came, and all the work will just get lost in the build - But if I scratch build I stand to disappear down a long and winding road that I've just wearily returned from.
So I think my intention currently is to only scratch when necessary - absorb when at all possible and most importantly "Enjoy it"!!!

PS ......... I am of the firm opinion that anything built using a lathe or three D printer or CAD programmes is "Model Engineering" and well outside my own personal remit, so I'll always fall short of being a "top modeller".

I most certainly have a steam punk attitude if not a steam punk style.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Little Andi. wrote: ............ you work on a project or a part thereof and as soon as you start to get a bit fractious or ratty, when things seem to spontaneously go wrong, when you've done the same bit three times and it still won't go right ....... you put the pieces down in front of you, take a deep calming breath, and repeat out loud ............."**** it".

Only thing to remember do not say this when, toddlers, Parrots (or other birds that can mimic) are around ........................they will repeat, and repeat.....
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 pm

you put the pieces down in front of you, take a deep calming breath, and repeat out loud ............."**** it".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy to say tough to do sometimes for the very reasons you describe Andi, I think that is why I have so many unfinished models languishing in tins and boxes.

Some years back I ended up giving away all my plastic kits except one to the local chapter of the IPS this included two of the large Heller Kits The Victory and The Sovereign of the Seas. I had started both of them and just ran out of wind, they were so complex and I felt completely overwhelmed.

The kit I have hung onto just happens to be the Ford Thames 10 cwt

http://www.e83w.co.uk/index.htm

We had one with windows and used it for camping in the early 60's

There is a place just up the road from me that has one in his yard but it is pretty far gone.
Regards Michael

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Sorry Andi but going to crash you thread!!!!

Michael

Please post details of this kit + pictures please ............ is it definitely the E83 ? Never heard of a kit of this model ........... really hope it is but think it might be the Ford Popular van ............ which I am also looking for !
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm

No problem Gordon ................ I thought exactly the same thing, but being pretty sure there was no mainstream kit of the E83 in 1/24:5th I didn't pursue it.

Michael is this one you're referring to?

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Can I join in with the thread crashing? (you know why Gordon :wink: )

Andi, I have recently come to a similar conclusion - as much as I would like perfection in my modelling, I have neither the skills or the time to perfect them and as it is the building of models that interests me (once finished I look at them and think how I could re-build them!) then I am trying to get into the frame of mind where I do the best I can but only to a point where the thing is going to get finished :D
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:27 am

G'day folks
Is this the sort of thing that you had in mind ?
5 cwt Thames van
Just the body, chassis extra but no wheels unfortunately.
Body is nice and thin and actually has door interior fittings cast in place.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 am

Well Gordon it is not the E83 so my memory was playing tricks on me the kit is in fact the Revell 37 ford panel van it looks a bit like the old Thames 10 cwt but is not the beast
it is this one

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-PANEL-DELIVERY-TRUCK-Model/dp/B001E3U9US

Sorry about that

I didn't mean to stir up Trouble Andi but the E83 is a great looking van anyway,
Regards Michael

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 am

No problem at all Michael ..... just started a bit of a bit of a flap that's all. Me and Gordon probably just got more excited than we should of done for men of our age??
I have a couple of those '37 kits, and although they look the part thay are physically -waay- to big to represent any of the British vehicles around at the time. Although they do look very good with a set of "Blitz" wheels underneath them.
There was/were a lot of this type of American vehicle around in the UK just before and after the war so I'm using this as a reason to have all sorts of stuff in the Top Yard. - although of course the search is always on for Brit'/European examples ----- hence the excitement you understand.

PS .............. many thanks for the PDF - that could come in useful for when Gordon starts to scratch one up. :lol:

Return to “Modelling Matters”