Revell 1/24 th scale Routemaster bus

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Revell 1/24 th scale Routemaster bus

Postby Kevin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 am

I hope that it is OK to post this here. It is not a railway model but is 1/24 and would be fantastic as a scenic item on a GN15 layout.

Has anyone built this kit yet? I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who models in any scale.

Here is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-24-REVELL-R ... 2c626e1e52

Here is a review with good images

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... rom-revell

and here is a SBS thread
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... 30887.html

I treated myself to one with some money I had for Christmas and am getting stuck into the building.

I’m not a bus enthusiast, but after seeing some pre release reviews of this kit, I just had to buy one. I paid £40 for the kit at Modelzone and £35 - £40 seems to be the average. For your money you get a very large box crammed full of plastic, a large sheet of decals and a very comprehensive booklet of instructions.

There are a large number of parts just for the engine and a large number of detailing parts for the chassis. There are 2 engine choices, so whichever you build, you get a large 1:24 scale spare engine to use elsewhere. I am sure that it would look good on a critter. The bonnet is removable to allow the engine to be seen.

The bus would need a large layout to accommodate it, but would look good as a backdrop, perhaps the other side of a factory boundary wall or parked in the corner of a layout depicting a modern preserved or miniature railway.

Some members of other modelling forums are planning to build this kit as a non standard version. Some Routemasters were converted to single deckers and breakdown vehicles following damage to their upper decks. I am seriously considering buying another kit to do this or possibly convert one to an open top sightseeing bus. There is a lot of reference material available thanks to the popularity of these buses. I have found a lot of online pics to use as painting references for those areas where the instructions are a bit vague. By looking a prototype pics, I was able to paint the engine with a bit more detail.

Current state of play is;
All parts undercoated.
Engine and chassis painted, assembled and joined together.
Floor painted and fixed to chassis.
Cab painted and assembled. Waiting to be fixed to chassis.

One tip. If you buy this kit, the instructions for the rear wheels are incorrect. They advise you to stick the wheels together in the wrong order. By looking at all the parts and using a bit of common sense, it is possible to work out the correct method of construction.

My only gripe is the lack of figures. A driver and conductor would be enough, 1:24 passengers can be found elsewhere. Members of other modelling forums have said that figures will probably be available from other sources in the future, but I don’t want to wait to start the kit. The conductor can be added to the rear platform after the kit is complete but the cab will be sealed and it will not be possible to retro fit a driver.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am

It is a beautiful kit but the £62 airmail to Australia stunned me until I realised I was dealing with a box weighing three kilos!

Probably far too big for my layout but still on the "want" list.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

Must admit to having a couple myself, and not wishing to "out" Gordon :shock:. I know he has a couple too - at least!!
I paid £35 each - inc' shipping for mine, but they were pre-ordered for a long time before they were generally available.

And I can confirm that even I was taken aback by the size of the box - which is "crammed to the gunnel's" with parts and sprue's. Having given the kit a damn good groking - [official term used in styrene circles] I can also confirm that it's an impressive piece of kit engineering and has a LOT of kit bash/scratch-building potential.
At this early stage my only disappointment or reservation is the kit decals. Whilst they're admirable and impressive they do tend to date the bus as a late model - I would like some options as to a much earlier time period - 50s/60's would work for me!!
KBO .......................... Andi.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Andi,

I agree about the decals. I am no expert, but the large adverts don't seem to match.
One is an old style ad for Jacobs Crackers and the other is a modern ad for the British Museum. I might finish mine without the decals.

Alternatively, Revell state that spares for conversions are available from them.
Has anyone tried this before? They might supply another sheet of decals and I will have 2 Jacobs adverts.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 pm

If you are looking for conversion or customisation ideas for buses or other vehicles,
This site is full of them converted to travellers’ homes.

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:28 pm

It looks a nice model but I think I have a better chance of fitting the London Taxi on a layout.
However I would like a layout modelled on a preserved station complete with tourists arriving on a Cityliner
I did find some 14th scale bus stops
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I can't wait to see Broadoaks farm train version :roll: Yeah OK the scales wrong :?
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Paul,

I’m going to disappoint you I’m afraid. Even if the kit was in 1/32 scale I’d never get it under the bridge into the fiddle yard. :oops:

It is a lovely kit though, with a lot entertainment value making it up for your money.
Peter M

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby Ian Roberts » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

I had one for Christmas too - and bought a second one last week! My excuse is I did take two buses to get to school in Chelsea during the sixties. Re the decals, the front ones are for the Wych Cross Garden Centre which is on the Ashdown Forest about 15 minutes from here. They have their own preserved Routemaster and I'll have to ask them what the connection with Revell is. One thing's for sure - neither of the routes on the indicator boards went anywhere near Wych Cross! As far as figures are concerned, I'll make my own (as I did on Balnakeil and Camas Orainn). Easy enough as I've made my own moulds, but rather time consuming and the buses are going to take quite some time to complete. Probably they won't appear on a GN15 layout but I'll put them on the garden G45 railway, which is supposed to be the Ashdown Forest anyway. And one of them may be London Country Green.
Ian

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Postby Booga » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 pm

What a great looking kit! How about another Gnatterbox challenge? How many Routemaster based critters can you get out of one kit? :lol:
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Routemaster Bus

Postby Catweasel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Just to make the challenge more interesting,who's going to build a layout INSIDE the bus. Or is that too silly. :roll:
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Had to happen. Someone has built the Routemaster with the Leyland
engine and is selling the spare Scania engine on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/routemaster-b ... 3f12d0652f

2 days left. Only 1 bid so far.
Instructions and some decals are included.
If you want the engine for a critter,
this is cheaper than the whole kit.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm

I know it makes perfect sense - and is in fact quite a reasonable thing to do!

But why can't I shake the feeling that this just seems a bit grasping, especially since I'm guessing that he's gouging at least a quid on the postage too!

Not my kind of guy at all ................... I'd sooner do somebody a good turn for what that would actually make.
However if it goes for a tenner or more; I've got a couple at least ... :lol:

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:51 pm

I can see that I need to get one of these kits, in the meantime this is how a 1/24th scale bus looks on Macton in the loading bay waiting for the workers to board for the works outing.

This is the Sun Models bus, and is why I am penniless now.

the image is from near the bottom of this page.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=350
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Michael,
That’s a great model. I’ve caught the bug while building the Routemaster and looked
around for other 1/24 buses. There were no other kits, but I found the Sun Models buses
and was very impressed and a little tempted.

Unfortunately, the price is out of my range and anyway, I wanted kits rather than RTR.

Your post made me revisit the Macton thread and reminded me of how good that layout is.
What is the current status of the layout?

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Kevin
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. The Status of the layout at the moment is that it is sitting in the Truck Camper on end awaiting some inspiration, with all the buildings in boxes also waiting.

I am working on a few other projects at the moment.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby Ian Roberts » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

I thought you might like to see my completed model.

It's actually been complete for some time now, but I hadn't got around to photographing it.

Here's a front view, complete with a new loco for Balnakeil so you can get an idea of size. Also one of the Balnakeil residents - who must be on holiday in Sussex.

The passangers are home made from Fimo, like all my figures.

Incidentally, I was at Wych Cross Garden Centre on Saturday and took a look at their Routemaster. Unfortunately they don't have a picture of their bus on their website, but you might find one by typing Wych Cross Bus into Google Images
Ian

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:18 am

Get a second kitset and get the saw and glue out - a triple decker posted on a national bus companies website in 1st April

It included pictures of the bar level and sleeping level for long distance night services.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 am

Ian ............

It certainly makes for an impressive and really quite imposing model.

Congrat's .......... you're the first that I've seen completed - Well done.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am

Ian, Congratulations on the first completed Routemaster on the Gnatterbox.

I am making progress with mine. Need to finish painting the 3 large body parts and fit them and the sides. That will be about the lot apart from a few small parts.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 pm

On sale at Modelzone for only £19.99:-

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kits/s ... mailvision
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Return to “Modelling Matters”