Gn15 Garden Railways

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge modelling

Gn15 Garden Railways

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:04 pm

As there are a lot of 00 gauge garden railways around, we gnow 16.5mm gauge goes OK in the garden. Also, G gauge is used mainly in the garden, but I have never heard of any Gn15 garden railways. Does anyone gnow of or have one?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

I remember someone doing something similar alongside their SM32 garden railway. Well known person, posted here at one time, sadly passed on a couple of years ago.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Is there anything about this on the Gnatterbox?

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:25 am

G'day Igor

There is an English gentleman, Mr Chris Brown, who has, indeed, built a Gn15 garden layout.
It is based on Emett's work and although based in the UK some of the rolling stock made its way to the USofA for a short holiday accompanied with a 'layout-packed-in-a-suitcase'.
Illustrations of his garden railway can be found at:- http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/125490

(Just as an aside I remember reading of an 'N' scale garden railway in one of the english magazines.
Anyone for a Gn9 garden railway ?)

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:I remember someone doing something similar alongside their SM32 garden railway. Well known person, posted here at one time, sadly passed on a couple of years ago.

Peter Jones.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Igor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Adrian wrote:Just as an aside I remember reading of an 'N' scale garden railway in one of the english magazines.
Anyone for a Gn9 garden railway ?

I've read about this in a book which also includes a picture of an 009 garden railway :?

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:50 pm

I suspect that keeping them running reliably, means that most Gn15 layouts in the garden are fairly short lived.
There have been several started on here over the years, but they dont seem to last much longer than the first flush of enthusiasm.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 pm

The OO garden railways I have read about are mostly very high tech, there was an American HO garden layout in Continental modeller recently, and I think it was also DCC. Electrics had to be spot on, so maybe not so good for Gn15 with small locos .
Maybe battery operated locos might be the answer, or a battery wired up to a loco, with battery in wagon. Simple 9v battery would probably do the job. Still have to build trackbed so that it is weatherproof and animal-proof.

It might be a good way to build a model of one of the longer miniature lines such as Ratty or Romney, using converted OO or HO locos. DCC ready ones would allow you to plug in a connection to a battery and keep isolated from track, by using only the motor connections on the DCC plug. With a tender loco it would be easy to put battery in the tender and still leave room for driver.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Postby Booga » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 am

My dad has an O.16.5 railway in the garden which would take Gn15 stock, a good excuse for visiting the parents maybe! :lol:
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

Return to “Modelling Matters”