(F) Rusting the Night Away

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

(F) Rusting the Night Away

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:26 am

Hi Guys,
There are a number of products on the market to produce this wonderful (realistic) condition BUT am I the only one that uses none of them relying on my skills :lol: with Acrylics to produce the effect of rust and for that matter oil.
My recent Gn15 Loco modelling has resulted in favourable comments on the grotty finish (are they all being kind :twisted: ).
All my Locos are now spray painted using Car Sprays or sometimes specific model sprays and if I get a run I'll leave it and this becomes a rust area. Interesting effects can also be achieved (totally random) if a miniscule amount of grease is introduced onto the undercoat b4 the finish coats are applied - again the result will be a subsequent rust area.
I'm a complete greenhorn in this matter and others will have their own pet methods; however I thought I'd start this thread to see what transpired :wink:

ps if you try the grease trick I'm not accepting complaints if it doesn't work :roll:

Perhaps I should add that the reason I use Acrylics is that I paint with them and they sell so I must be doing something right even if the modelling is basic!
GerryB
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Re: Rusting the night away

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:35 pm

I have used the Modern Options stuff to great effect -- and I still have plenty of it left.
I haven't yet tried the new pretender to the throne - it's half the price and twice the number of bottles ISTR. Does that make it better value for money?
Only someone who's used both could comment fairly. Does such a person exist? Over to the list!
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15
Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:35 am

Yup, you have added another product into the equation Alan, "Rustall" from what I can gather works in a different way, not that I have tried it.

"Modern Options" and "Metal Coat IXI" are both very similar, but do have slightly different characteristics. The easiest to apply is the Modern Options one, which you have shown to good example on your webpage. Simply brush on the basecoat, let it dry and then apply the activator, it really is that simple folks. Unfortunately, at present it is not available in the UK due to a change in import regulations

The other one "Metal Coat IXI" is not quite so easy, but from the few experiments that I have done, is more versatile. The base coat on this one is a lot thicker in consistancy and does need to be thinned down a bit with water, unless you want really heavy rust. You will probably need to apply two coats of the thinned basecoat (2 to 3 hours apart)to get complete coverage, wheras the "Modern Options" product covers in one, but takes longer to dry. The metal particles suspended in the basecoat are a lot finer than those in the "Modern Options" product and which in my opinion gives a more scale appearance.

A couple of effects I have discovered, so far. If you apply the basecoat over a gloss finish, it will tend to gather in small patches, leaving other areas clear, which gives a nice patchy rust effect. Add a little wetting agent (I use windshield washer fluid) to the patches and they disperse and gather around the details on the surface. Also due to its thicker nature and finer particle size, it is easier to drybrush onto edges to give a scuffed effect. Another discovery is that the activator also works as a metal blackener on some metals, others it just turns rusty. This applies to the "Modern Options" activator as well. I'm sure there are many more interesting effects still to be discovered
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”