Depron layout.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Depron layout.

Postby david colley jnr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 pm

I've been singing the praises of depron as a great choice of baseboard material, and so when George, my four year old son, found a piece of flexitrack in "my" room, I couldn't resist his plea of creating a layout to put my money where my mouth is.

And so, here we go!

A simple baseboard, cut out of some off cuts of 6mm depron, braced underneath with some more off cuts approx 30mm high arranged in a sort of criss cross pattern underneath. This resulted in a very strong, solid arrangement, enabling me to hold it at one end with no flex at the other. It's held together with UHU Por and this was applied to the strut, squished around a bit, separated and left to dry. After drying, it was then put together and it stuck. Solid.
The rail was applied in a similar way, applying the adhesive to the track, and smearing it along the route marked out and when dry, bought carefully together. A lot simpler than the double sided tape I normally use.

The rail was sprayed rust (red oxide) and sleepers brown before the surrounding areas roughed in green (emulsion tester pot)

Here is master George applying the mod rock to the cardboard framework on the left and the free formed kitchen roll hills on the right.

Painting the hills green after much persuasion. George like the snowy effect of the hill, the mind of a four year old seems hell bent on putting a Christmassy tilt on every thing they see!!!

Ballast in place and being fixed with gloopy glue (pva), watered down black paint and a spot of de-wetting agent (washing up liquid!). I don't think the mix was quite right. It didn't flow quite right and I thought the paint would help pick out the bits of ballast rather than making the mix grey. We'll see in the morning when it all dries.
The grass has been started and the rock areas been painted grey.

This is George's railway with my help. He's making the calls with the scenery and I'll be assisting him where needed. The rolling stock will be, according to him, a wagon and a diesel. With it being a short end to end, I think I'm going to finally try the RC method, so a dt speed controller will be ordered and a small pager motor put into use via o ring drive to a simple wagon axle'd loco.

That if George lets me! :D
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Depron layout.

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm

david colley jnr wrote:Ballast in place and being fixed with gloopy glue (pva)

Somebody has been watching Mr Maker! :P

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Looks like George is having fun David :D I like to see the sort of serious scenic modelling where you get your shift off and get stuck in, saves on messy clothes!

Your radio control idea sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing how that gets on.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Ooopppsss...!!! I show my average telly viewing! :)

I just wish mr maker would do something interesting/useful like building model railways or making up ikea furniture!

Colin, it saved a lot of time I the clean up front, especially with me! I too look forward to the RC loco. Dunno how to dress it up, although the idea/mechanics are pretty much sorted. I'll let you know when I need help! :P
David
Check out the website,

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Looks like someone is having fun :D

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby david colley jnr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Just been making some trees with George... Okay, they are the woodland scenics armatures we've decorated, but don't tell him they are the wrong scale!!!
Whilst working at Games Workshop, I notice they have weeds in clumps. Thought I'd give them a go and not being able to talk them into donations, I figured I may as well buy some so £16 later, we're the proud owners of 240 weed clumps in two colours.

George thought he'd place a couple between the track to replicate our railway. Cheeky bugger! I told him how much work we put into the weedfree track bed and that only mother nature can stop us.
He said "huh?"

Four year olds, eh?!? :D

David
Check out the website,

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Hey David,

Looking really good.

Don't want to annoy you but I found this on the "well known auction site"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Static- ... 2572926%26

Haven't tried any yet as I already have some Noch ones.
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 am

Sorry I missed this one before but if you need more tufts etc - please let me know. I stock the entire range of MiniNatur tufts, strips, flowers, foliages, grass mats, static grass etc in both sample and full size packs. Unfortunately I am in Australia but the retail price over here for the sample packs (around 150 tufts) is only $6.95 inc GST (approx £4.52). Postage can be a killer but if you buy several packs without exceeding 250g then it becomes more reasonable. You can see some of them used here - http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=25 Scroll down to December 19 for photos of The Steamy Pudding.

Your tufts look good though - if you need lots maybe make them from static grass?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby david colley jnr » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Cheers Simon, but £3-50 for 40 clumps kind of works out as expensive as £8 for 120 :wink:
Ian, your layout is really nice. I love the way your tufts poke out of something, be it gravel or simply other grass. Think that's what is looking strange about ours. They simply appear from nowhere. I'll try getting George to dig a bit of ballast away to plant them into it.

A couple of quick snaps of the trees.

Colin Peake's loco posed against the trees. They don't look too bad. I'm quite surprised about that actually! They seem to scale out about the 15' mark, so young trees perhaps?

A gratuitous shot of the weeds and a cruel close up of the tree!

And a photo of the basis of the R/C loco. A cheap (sub £3) 16.5mm gauge solar powered Bullet Train. The solar panel is really quite useless. It will turn the wheels when under direct halogen light, and I mean within 4" of the bulb. However, the 1.5V motor will be just about right for the DT controller and a 3.7V LiPo.
Was wondering though, would a small circuit mounted pot be alright to turn the voltage down to slow the speed ? I was thinking of taking the output voltage through one of these so I could limit the top speed to make it more controllable without additional gearing.?

David
Check out the website,

Return to “Modelling Matters”