Bagnall No. 1452 / 1906

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Bagnall No. 1452 / 1906

Postby KEG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Some of you might have followed this thread at the trade section: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8586

Well, one of the Gn15 Bagnalls arrived at the Kraehwinkel Eisenbahn Gesellschaft (KEG) today :

The size is quite impressive for a 1 : 24 scale model. Footprint without couplers or buffers is 110 x 52 mm. Seen here with a Steve Bennett DECADE

The surface will need some sanding or / and filling, Here is an enlarged view.

I have no idea, if 3-D-printing has a future at the moment for larger models. But I think, Alan´s idea to offer suitable parts sounds very promising.

Have Fun

Juergen
Last edited by KEG on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:58 pm

odd that 3D print surface does look a bit rough. Might be partly the photo, but I have had a couple of Tbee's models, as well as my own and they looked smoother. Would not really bother me as I would not want an immaculate surface. Will have to see how my loco bits turn out.
Nice loco, wondering if a simple conversion pack for Hornby Bill/Ben loco might be in order. My initial conversion is for 1/35, but am thinking of just increasing cab height for Gn15.Like the open cab, might do that.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 am

I would love to see some pictures of the surfaces of your own 3-D-Printed parts.

Bought some Gn15 axle boxes via Ebay earlier this year. Probably Shapeways as well. The surface seems to be quite rough.

I drybrushed with white paint, to work out the details better.

They are very small, almost too small for my purpose. I normally use the seize of the white metall casting from the 2nd picture for Gn15.

Have Fun

Juergen

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:24 am

That rough surface could be very useful if you are trying to create something that looks old and rusty!

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

The size of the loco means that to produce it in one of the finer detail materials (smoother) would make it cost a fair bit over £100 for the body. You would undoubtedly get a nicer surface, as my O9 versions are produced in FUD, but are half the size in scale, which means only 1/8 of the volume. Shapeways' materials are priced by volume.

I have to say that it was the first of my prints I've tried in WSF, and I think I'll stick with FUD for my smaller scale models. It is quite strong though, and with some filler (I used a bit of Gunze Mr Surfacer 500 on the saddle tank with some success) and sanding you will be able to get a nice smooth model. Hopefully when I make a separate pack of the fittings they'll be small enough to come out at a reasonable price in FUD or FD.

I'm glad to see it in someone's hands who can give it enjoy it - I realised I had too many things on the go at once so needed to pass it on to get workbench space. Since it left I've finished Leo70, 2 wagons and a bogie van, plus got halfway through a bogie coach (one of Tebee's, but with modifications), so it has helped to let it go, though I do miss the size of it compared to the O9 version - its a monster.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Started sanding and painting a bit today. Mainly used one of these felt disks in a dremel and a cardboard cosmetic fingernail file. Plus some 700 sandpaper.

Used undiluted Windsor & Newton Galeria Lamp Black (Acrylic) for a first trial paint coat. It acts as some kind of a filler. Will work on it with very fine steel wool tomorrow and see what happens.

At the moment I am quite happy wth this little locomotive. Gives me a chance to try out techniques I don´t know or have not used in a long time.
I am aiming at archieving a well kept work horse loco, after 25 years in active use. A few dents and scratches will be OK.

If someone can supply a picture of the backhead of this type of loco, it would be helpfull. It probaly will need a few steam lines.

Have Fun

Juergen

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 am

As far as I'm able to tell there aren't any photos of that actual type's backhead. I use photos of other bagnall 040st to work out the piping on mine. There are several preserved so they're not too tricky to find online. I think there's a site called bagofbits or similar which has a few good detail photos on it. The pipework is fairly simple.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 am

BagofBits is helpful http://www.bagofbits.com/se_page.php?pgname=bagnalls

Laurell assembled a few pictures of 18 inch baby Bagnalls as well: http://78n18.laurell.nu/prototypes/uk/content.html

Meanwhile I use one of these fibre glass eraser pens to smooth the surface of the model. Works vry well and I can reach the most remote areas.

Have fun

Juergen

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am

I just remembered a few other references I have, and have emailled them to you (hopefully).

PM me if you don't get an email with some pictures in.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Meanwhile I use one of these fibre glass eraser pens to smooth the surface of the model. Works vry well and I can reach the most remote areas.

Just be careful with those fibreglass erasers, the small fibers get everywhere, inhaled, under one's skin, and can be a rather painful experience.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm

I survived the fibre glass eraser. Worked with it before. Task now is to slow down the drive to a reliable speed. It has been running in for a few hours at the test circle.

These 3 D Prints do need quite a bit of extra weight (lead). But since this model is more or less hollow there is enough room for weight or additional electronics like Gold Caps.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Some colour for the Carlo Spirito driver and for the loco.

I sealed with antique wax, which needs some more polishing.

The 7mm scale builders plates look very convincing on a 1 : 24 model. Made by http://www.narrowplanet.co.uk/products

Have Fun

Juergen

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 am

Looks good, glad to see it up and running. The builders plates are 7mm standard gauge size ones I ordered by mistake, but the do look about right.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 am

Finally got around to work on the Baby Bagnal again. might have to invest in some more red paint for the chassis.

I am very happy with the sevice of Narrow Planet, the nameplate maker.

Now I have to find a story, how the loco made it from the Sudan (Africa)
to Kraehwiinkel (Germany) in the early Twenties.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:22 pm

LA TIGRESSE, the station cat after which the little Bagnall was named, is proud to announce the arrival of her first two babies:

Hamster Herman came around, to pick up his cigar.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”