Lescanby Moor

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Lescanby Moor

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 am

Back on track after straying to smaller things. That's smaller scale, not smaller layouts though. The name chosen for my return to the realm of Gn15 microlayouts is a very obvious pun, Lescanby Moor is supposedly a hill farm on the edge of the Hayfinch estate served by a branch of the estate's 15 inch gauge line.
The trackplan is inherited from the abandoned OO layout that it is being built from, which is in turn a reworking of Jack Trollope's much used Shortover Yard design. The off stage arrangements are dealt with by a Peco loco lift, this will take a loco with either two small wagons or one large one, ample for a layout this size.
This is a winter project, brought about because it has been too cold to work in the garage recently so my current OO project is on hold and the On30 modules have not been reassembled yet following their outing to Huddersfield earlier this month. Having started work on it yesterday I have buried the tracks in filler and am awaiting this setting before it can be sanded down. The rear to lines will be 'set in concrete' and the front one overgrown with grass so that the underscale sleepers are not apparent.

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:17 pm

"Lescanby Moor" the name is worth a smile... You've got spare room for is layout then Bob?

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:57 pm

I think I can squeeze it in. As long as it's stood on end for storage it should fit behind the corner section of the On30 modules, failing that there's just enough room between the top of my APA module stack and the ceiling. In fact the new micro may even fit inside the APA fiddleyard, but then I'd have to rehouse the shoeboxes that are currently occupying it.

I'm not reckoning on it being for exhibition use, transport wouldn't be a problem though, it's just intended as something that I can plonk on the kitchen table and run for a bit when I want to get my Gn15 stuff out but don't have time to juggle the APA modules into a layout.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Ummm. Problem. The loco lift and Bachmann gas-mechs don't like each other. I'd forgotten about the outside cranks grounding on the plastic bits of the lift. :( It looks as if I'll have to either fit a proper cassette system (too much mither) or make do with crane shunting off stage. As Lescanby Moor is intended mainly for home use I can live with crane shunting.

The layout is now wired and has been given a test run, apologies for the rather lengthy disappearance of the loco at intervals, this is due to the aformentioned crane shunting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIBEf_Hq_uw
I've not edited the film to cut out these delays so that it is an accurate record of the first operation of the microlayout. The loco lift problem only applies to locos 2 and 4 though and the lift can be used with my other Gn15 locos.

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 am

Ummm. Problem. The loco lift and Bachmann gas-mechs don't like each other. I'd forgotten about the outside cranks grounding on the plastic bits of the lift

LOL, glad it's not just me - took me an hour of messing about with this set up before I realised that it was the outside cranks causing the problem - because to look at it it looks like the wheels are touching the track fine.

My solution was to cut the locolift into short bits, no more than a couple of cm long, then solder one onto the end of a piece of straight set track, with half of the locolift section hanging over the edge. Then you cut your fiddle yard tracks off at the entrance and just 'slot' the the locolift/straight track onto the end of the line that the train is coming from. I found that the gas mechanical could get over the short bit of locolift fine. And, of course, you can add a bit of locolift to the other end too so that you can turn trains around.

It also works out pretty cheap as you can have a whole load of cassettes for the cost of just one locolift and a few off cuts of straight tract.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hi Bob.

Less can certainly be more! The layout looks great for Inglenook shunting puzzles. Having some bogie wagons involved should make it nicely tricksome.

It wasn't until I saw the video that I realised the rear siding is elevated - any particular reason for this? I presume the couplings are Kadees with magnets set in the 'concrete'?

I think it should be exhibited - it is an excellent example of the advantages of micro layouts and Gn15.

Churz,

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Churz

The rear track is elevated because the layout started life as a OO version of my O scale micro "Lyddlow" which has the rear track elevated for scenic effect rather than any operational reason.

Kadees are used but I prefer uncoupling them manually in the off stage area before propelling the wagon(s) into the scenic area. Much of my Kadee fitted stock (HO, On30 and Gn15) has the tails removed from the couplings to prevent them fouling on the weeds between the rails in all three scales.

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm

You again illustrate the adage "there is always room for a layout."

I'm looking for to the progress for this!

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Some progress, at last.
I've done a little work on the ground cover today, also painted/rusted the warehouse and added brickpaper to the wall.
Not sure what to do with the loading area in front of the doors, I'm leaning towards a rickety wooden dock, extending beyond the concrete wall to meet the loading gauge. This should give ample opportunity for messing about with matchsticks and coffee stirrers.

Return to “Modelling Matters”