Waterley Bank Estate Farm o the Waterley Bank Estate Railway

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gnu Bee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: GN15 models, Rowland Emett, Fantastical Machines,

Waterley Bank Farm o the Waterley Bank Estate

Postby Gnu Bee » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 am

On the Historic Scotland website there is a pdf directed at owners of buildings that have corrugated iron roofs. Sorry but the link to it doesn't work here. The corrugated sheets shown on the last post are trapazoidal sheets, commonly known as Crinkly Tin and is a relatively modern product - 1970s? and fixed to steel sheeting rails. Difficult to model as the corrugations are so precise and not much character really.
My name is Geoff - a dabbler in all things narrow gauge and unlikely.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the bottom of the sheet is too wavy. I'll put a strip of something along the inside to act as a purlin.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

More developments

Postby WaterleyShunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Since my last posting here I have spent much time modelling but have not got very far with the layout. There have been a number of serious difficulties to overcome, the largest being devising a way to attach No.7's chassis to the body and conceal the rear end of the motorblock in the cab.

Since departure to university was imminent, further work had to be put on hold. I did however find the time to bring together all my Gn15 stock both completed and part-completed for a sort of Fleet Review.

Now I am settled into university and study has begun, I found the time to unpack the layout in my room, test it and finish off a few things that were in progress when I left home. The new location has the advantage of a table big enough to set the layout up at a comfortable height for working in a chair, but the lighting is very poor because there is nowhere to set up the LED lighting strips.

The stile was necessary because the end of the hedge that was there before fouled the tree at front right on the other board, and a piece of plain fence stuck at the end of a mature hedge didn't look right because there was no rationale for it. I created a footpath for it which proceeds at right angles to the railway. Oddly, this compromise to solve a problem actually has greatly improved the layout because it adds variety, and having an additional thoroughfare helps create the feeling that there is a world out there beyond the area in view, and the footpath creates a focal point in the otherwise rather plain front left of centre, helping to avoid focusing the eye entirely around the edges of the left board, which would throw the backscene into focus too much.

The railway gate was my chosen victim for an experiment in using various shades of graphite pencil to weather wood, based on the observation that old-ish unpainted wood is predominately greyish, sometimes a beautiful silver-grey that is slightly shiny.

How much can I say about the sign? It seemed a good idea to name the farm and a good place for a sign. I have now decided that individual plastic letters on a piece of plasticard is not much more realistic than a paper printed sign and more effort to make, but is much better for getting exactly what you want rather than what MSW formatting will let you have.

This shot showcases the poor lighting, but its purpose is to show the progress of the barn and the replacement of every other fence post with a length of rail. This I feel gives a much better fence without the heavyweight, overbuilt look of having it all wooden posts.

I also put up a short length of similar fence by the cattle stop to cover the slope where the wall is not high enough. I'll wait until more has been done at the forest end before showing that as I'm not daft enough to fill up the server with pictures of strips of plastic net bag (makes good barbed wire) glued to a couple of offcuts of dowel!

Yesterday I was brave enough to let my housemates and some friends of theirs look at the layout and watch No.5 do a bit of shunting. They were amazed by the spectacle and much was said of skill and talent (though it seems non-modellers generally seem very impressed by anything scratchbuilt regardless of quality). The thing which caused them most surprise, though, was my saying the layout is not finished yet!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Its coming along well.
You are building up a good fleet of wagons.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:26 pm

I have made another wagon, a little tender truck for No.7. Since there is so little footplate space on the loco, this is the only way to carry the oilcan, rerailing jack, shunting chain, thermos and sandwiches, etc. The chassis is a bogie moulding from a toy train set found in a skip.

I dug out an old flat wagon from my earliest days of Gn15ing, a clumsy conglomeration of plasticard that was supposed to become a Top wagon. I cured its waddle and fitted a voluminous dropside body, experimenting with adding a woody grain to the plasticard using a wire brush.

I thought I was incapable of using plasticard and am surprised I built this.

The barn is now almost complete

I have been experimenting with making trees by gluing several Green Scene plastic armatures together and bulking out the trunk and main branches with milliputty. It works well and even looks like a tree! :)

Currently attempting to sort out one more tree picture to complete the woodland backscene, but have just discovered that the colour printers on campus will only print in glossy finish. :evil:

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Query re: dyed sawdust.

Postby WaterleyShunter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 pm

In my continuing hunt for suitable leaves wherewith to foliate my trees and hedges, a serious problem which is largely preventing further progress on the layout, I recalled reading several articles in model railway magazines which spoke of using dyed sawdust for foliage. In the Railway Modeller article on Hook Basin it was said that these shavings are big enough to represent leaves in large scales.

Does anyone know where I can get sawdust of a suitable grade? Or is it a matter of getting a block of wood, a saw, some blunt instruments and a bag?

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Forget sawdust, I suggest that you use birch catkins. When broken down the pistillate scales have a leaf like shape.
I find mine from trees in front gardens, too late this year though.
Brown in colour can be dyed with inks.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:01 am

I agree - forget sawdust. It simply can't replicate the leaf shape accurately in 1:24 or even 1:22.5.

Here are some examples of what I mean -
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

(Disclaimer - I sell the Model Scene range here in Australia)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks Ian, exactly what I was looking for.

:D :P

Leaves and weeds are on order now. Any suggestions for how best to attach the leaves to the armatures?

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 pm

This link is to a simply fabulous N scale (1:160) model. You need to understand or translate the German but he is currently showing everyone how to make trees that are only 11cm high with exquisite detail. Worth reading or looking at the photos through the whole thread for inspiration.

http://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... &start=650
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Well, the order arrived, and very superb items they are too. But I must admit making a major error in ordering, now I actually have this pack of 200 leaves, it really becomes clear that 200 leaves is not going to go very far. Still I will do some experimenting and post some pictures of the results.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Daffyd,
Can I suggest you pay a visit to a florist and check out some of the stuff that they use for dried flower arrangements, bouquets and similar. Something like "Baby's Breath" that you can either keep the branch structure or just strip the foliage and add it to your armatures.

Also check out sedums such as "Autumn Joy". Dried flower heads of these have been used to make LARGE gum trees in O and these could also be used to make a smaller-leafed tree in G. here's some that I've been working on. The original dead flower heads on the right can be made to drop their foliage pretty easily.

I hope that this helps you to meet your arboreal ambitions,[/img]
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Ok, now I have got some trees and the wood has leapt towards completion. :) I hope I will be forgiven for :shock: BUYING :oops: trees, but when I saw a stand at the Warley Show with trees over a foot high with proper sized leaflike bits for a very reasonable price, well, call it a favourable occurrence..... I am still using a scratchbuilt tree for the right hand end and some more along the backscene in the wood however.

Here be the mighty specimen:

I like the way the canopy is forming, casting dappled shade in which the wildlife can roam cautiously. The picture also shows my experiments with using putty to blend in the tree bases and create a rabbit burrow in the bank.

On a hot sunny day (so hot the air's gone hazy, (must be a climate change)), the shade of the barn is very welcome.

Looking along the line from under the tree by the barn, most of the progress is visible, including the completion of the backscene (had to get the pictures printed for me so as to get the right finish), the great improvement in barn realism effected by bracing the bottom of the cladding, and the woods looming high beyond the field as woods ought to do.

I really am rather pleased with the way the layout is progressing. :D 8) :P
Happy modelling to you all. :mrgreen: :wink:

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I have now managed to get the crane on the barn operational. Pictures to follow.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Crane and brake

Postby WaterleyShunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Here is a picture of the almost completed crane.
As mentioned some time ago, the crane is based on the one made by Ian Holmes and used on Whinny Lane many years ago. Although my design uses scrapbox bits rather than neat plastructy parts.

It works very well and is duncedly simple to operate, just pull or release the chain to go up or down, and pull or push that blue tube inside the beam to move back and forth. The main issue is that it requires very short pulls and pushes in normal operation, making it very easy to overshoot and drop/collide/misplace whatever is on the hook.

I have made good progress on the big brakevan.
Yes, a very big brakevan. It only just clears the mouseholes. I went for a 'fill out the loading gauge' philosophy, Sand Hutton style, with enough headroom for the guard to comfortably stand up in it. I plan it with a balcony at each end and perhaps some duckets too. The classic steam age brakevan, writ small.

I think I am actually going to finish this one. Using proper wood construction is far easier and more enjoyable than using sheets of plastic (which only ever seem to look like sheets of plastic).

And finally, a little weathering experiment
This picture also illustrates my efforts to integrate backscene and foreground. The drainage channel nicely merges the two areas of concrete, creating the illusion of a continuous surface all the way from the rails to the barn door.

Yes, the fuel tanks ARE level in reality, the apparent tilt is due to the camera angle.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Fence posts

Postby WaterleyShunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Recently most of my effort on the layout has been directed towards getting the fence posts the correct colour. I have taken lots of pictures of fence posts and studied lots more of them but the exact colour, some beautiful shade of grey-white-brown-green, seemed impossible to reproduce through many attempts. Then when I tried to sandpaper all the paint off the posts to try all over again, the resulting mix-up of numerous different shades all peeking through here and there at random, gave a satisfactory and realistic appearance!

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 am

Well, its been a while......

University life has left me with little modelling time, especially with so many assignments to complete over the last few months, and now revision for exams and completing the training for my tractor license. But I have not given up on the project. The layout is now well advanced, far more so than any other I have ever built, and completion is in sight. So much so that I've acquired a board for an extension!

I haven't posted for a while as there was nothing much to take pictures of. At the moment I am totally rebuilding both the hedge and the fence to make them more convincing. Following my completion of the Basic Fencing certificate I was able to rebuilt the fence following the construction principles of real ones, complete with tensioning 'boxes' at each end. I'll post a picture once its all wired up (barbed wire, not electrical wire). As for the hedge, I am replacing the dried moss on card backing with a row of 00 trees joined together, which looks much more realistic, especially at the bottom where it meets the ground. I'll photograph that once I have obtained some more 00 trees to complete it.

I know that by now I am probably starting to appear obsessive about hedges and livestock fences, but being surrounded by them every day has given me an excellent opportunity to get things exact.

I will return to posting here and normal modelling once the exams are over next month.

Bye for now,

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Wed May 28, 2014 12:02 am

Watching from here. Neat thread, nice work.
Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”