Weed Sprayer

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Weed Sprayer

Postby JeffSaxton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Hello, All;

I don't think this one has been seen yet, I built it back in 2005 when I couldn't access the Forum.

The car is a free-lance weed sprayer, based on one of my Hudson pattern skip frames (see this thread for chassis details http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8967).

The sprayer itself is, IIRC:

Two air tanks from the old MDC 'Hustler' in G scale -- a resin block from a commerical project (bolster snubber from a GE "Genesis" loco in 1:32) -- a headlight from the same 'Hustler' kit -- a Bandai 1:48 wooden box from an old German 'Maultier' kit -- piping from a Bachmann 1:20 Shay cab -- lever from an Atlas O scale switchtower -- and the sprayer nozzle head is a handrail piece with the ball ends. The paint is kinda lumpy, I didn't have an airbrush compressor at the time, but heavy weathering will hide those sins.

The idea is it would take a steam connection from the locomotive via hose, to operate the pump itself.

Just noticed this frame uses the laser cut pedestals I experimented with.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 pm

I like it Jeff. 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 am

Weed Sprayer - [smacks forehead], Why didn't I think of that??

A little while ago I was knocking up little utility type wagons and searching around for ideas that would translate into a "works train"!! ... I have a Power truck, a Compressor truck a Crane and now a "Weed wagon" .................. a hearty "thank you" for making the idea available for stealing [smiles]!

Cheers chap ...............
KBO .......................... Andi.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Not sure how British it is, but in the States, several narrow gauge lines had "weed burners" as well. Small tank of flammable stuff, sprayed through a sheet metal shroud held over the track a few inches ...
Jeff Saxton

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

!!!

Postby WaterleyShunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm

JeffSaxton wrote:Not sure how British it is, but in the States, several narrow gauge lines had "weed burners" as well. Small tank of flammable stuff, sprayed through a sheet metal shroud held over the track a few inches ...

:shock:

How did they make sure the burner did not set fire to the (presumably wooden) sleepers? :?:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: !!!

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

WaterleyShunter wrote:
:shock:

How did they make sure the burner did not set fire to the (presumably wooden) sleepers? :?:

Same way you bake a 'Baked Alaska' or the way you can solder next to a previous solder joint, high heat and short time ;)
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 am

Barry is correct. The photos I have seen show a rather large contraption, similar to a vent hood over a large oven. I suppose the combustion takes place at the upper reaches of the hood, and the flames merely singe the grass and weeds away. Of course, this system also requires a small tankcar of water to go along behind the train and put out any fires as well!

I can't find a picture online, maybe someone else can, but the Pajaro Valley Consolidated had such a car, actually, it was a combined sprayer and burner.

I suppose a modern car might use a huge garden strimmer? :D
(Now I'll be humming the "Arnold Rimmer" song all night).
Jeff Saxton

Return to “Modelling Matters”