Gruff Patch on the WBER (Snowflake Challenge entry)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Gruff Patch on the WBER (Snowflake Challenge entry)

Postby WaterleyShunter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm

This is my entry for the Snowflake pizza layout challenge.

The baseboard is a laminate of three of those polydisks from supermarket pizza boxes. A very light baseboard with natural quiet running. :)

A battery pack borrowed from an SM32 loco can move this loco at a smartish pace, but my other four-wheeler barely moves. Using a battery pack will make the layout self-contained.

Plan for scenery is to have a wall down the middle with a different scene each side, so the train can travel from place to place. All the scenery will be premade bits intended for Waterley Bank Estate Farm which just didn't look right when put in place.

I have a plan for fitting sidings onto this tiny pizza - inspired by something I found on carendt.us (but cannot find now :evil: )

This is very much a back-burner, bottom-of-the-pile project, to be worked on as and when, so don't be surprised if there are no progress updates for months yet. After all, I have got until November to finish it.

Churz,
Last edited by WaterleyShunter on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Website

Postby WaterleyShunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 am

I have now set up a website for the Waterley Bank Estate Railway. The link is on my signature. Both Waterley Bank Estate Farm and Gruff Patch feature there.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Progess at last

Postby WaterleyShunter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am

I said I would fit sidings on the layout in spite of its size, and now I've put in the first point to make this possible. Well, its not really a point so much as a turntable. It can be turned to three different positions.

To start with, it can be positioned to complete the circuit so the trains go round and round.

It can also be positioned to run trains on and off the circuit to an external siding leading to a cassette.

Here also is proof that the layout fits in a pizza box.

The turntable can also be positioned to access a siding across the middle of the layout.

Gnow to think about the scenery.

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Wow, talk about squeezing a lot of track into a little space. I love the turntable, especially. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.
Chris

dingbat2d
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 009, Gn15, GNine

Postby dingbat2d » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Love the turntable, you could always have the exit line join another pizza layout.
Kevin

Return to “Modelling Matters”