BSER (Snowflake Challenge)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 am

G'day Chris
I like the idea of the natural gas engine, especially if I can rig a ridiculous contraption for processing it.

I would, of course, expect nothing less.

Regarding the getting of passengers off the ground to the track level.
Why not use the idea perfected by some Greek monistories and use a basket on the end of a long rope ? (Like the one featured in a James Bond film.) You could even, with the aid of a motor and gearbox, make it work :D

Sorry to hear about your hand condition hindering your small scale sculpturing .... I also have problems in that department but my reason is mainly due to a lack of talent.

Your train seems to be coming along nicely. Although I would have settled for just two coaches .... just me being lazy I expect.

Looking forward to your next episode.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 am

Here's one for you. A tree growing out of the slope below with the platform treehouse fashion :)

Just realised that I have lost a thousand post through the pruning process :cry:
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:07 am

Ooooh, I like the basket idea. Maybe I can have it swing from a corner of the pizza box to an inside of the track platform... Hmmm, need to think about his one. See if I can get the single, lonely mechanically oriented cell in my brain to address the challenge.
And I'm a big fan of treehouses. I was thinking of a flag or eagle's nest at the crest of Mt. Hooey, but maybe a crow's nest atop a tree would raise the height of the layout beyond ridiculous... reason enough to consider it! :D
Thanks for the ideas!

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Lots going on so not too much time for this at the moment, but I've started on the track supports. Just gluing down twigs;
I'm hoping when the vertical supports are put in place that I might get a sort of a "nest" look to the track section. Upside down, it looks like this;
It looks like I should be able to squeeze a ladder and platform in on the inside of the track if I'm careful. Fingers crossed on that one!

vsmith
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G, Gn15, On30, HOn30, N

Postby vsmith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:17 am

"He's not crazy ...he's NUTS!" Short Round from Temple of Doom :wink:

I really look forward to seeing this finished :D
Biography: Born, Currently Living

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 am

cjwalas wrote:I've started on the track supports. Just gluing down twigs;

Thats ingenious. I love it! Great idea :!: 8)

vsmith
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G, Gn15, On30, HOn30, N

Postby vsmith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Chris what are you using to glue the wood to the plastic :?:
Biography: Born, Currently Living

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Using E600 Adhesive for the wood to track, then I'll switch to Titebond for the wood-to-wood and wood-to-paper mache'. But I really need to plan out the space carefully to be able to fit things in right!

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Unfortunately, it seems my arm isn't as healed as I thought and I'm a little slowed down by it. But some progress is continuing. The major step of locking down the track has been achieved. It is simply, but firmly, attached at only four points at the moment. I'm holding off doing all the other supports until I have all the other elements locked down, so as to avoid covering any spots I may need for development of other features.
As you can see in the next photo, I've wound up raising the track a bit to add some clearance between the track and Mt. Hooey to allow for an inside (and small) platform. Vertical access will be by a series of ladders,here laid out with coffee stirrers.
The train itself will occupy slightly more than half the circumference of the track. The cars have been re-sized for clearances and are ready for the next step. I've also run the track wires to and through the mountain itself and out the bottom so as to keep them hidden. Small, but significant steps.
I'm looking forward to doing some snow modeling as I don't think I've ever done much before. Anyone know of any good sources of information on doing snow and ice?

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 am

:D :D :D :D :D
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 am

Icing sugar (?).
Just Playing Trains!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Looking great Chris!
Its little joys like this that make it worth logging on to the site each day to see what is new.

A little passenger platform on the inside. Now that's just taking the easy way out, which isn't like you at all! I think it would look much better on the outside. :twisted: If its in one corner of the box it might fit without going outside the base dimensions. And a spindly ladder going up to it will just add to the effect.

cjwalas wrote: Anyone know of any good sources of information on doing snow and ice?

I used the woodland scenics snow last year for the first time and found it ok. I'd recommend using their glue. PVA etc will make it stick, but you risk it dis-colouring over time (Don't ask me how I know that :cry: ).
Can't wait to see the next step. Take it easy and let your arm heal!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Very Gnice, I'm following this with interest 8)

cjwalas wrote:Vertical access will be by a series of ladders...

Makes me think of the Huashan trail in China:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=huasha ... 66&bih=650

(Not that you'd get me anywhere near that, I get scared standing on a chair to change a bulb :oops:)
Ian K
Be seeing you...

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Glen, I tried every which way I could to find room for an outside platform. I can do it as long as it's less than 3/4" long. :( I'll just have to add something else to make it odder.
Ian, that's very much the feel I'm after and I'm planning on rope or chain railings wherever I can fit them in.
As usual, I simply didn't think this on e through very far. But that's actually what I enjoy; sifting through all the possibilities as the realities tighten around my neck. :oops:
Chris

Eee Gee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Eee Gee » Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 am

Well, I certainly hope the next installment of this cliffhanger is coming soon. you really peaked our interest, but then you left us hanging.

Seriously, I'm really enjoying following the creative process in this project and hope you get the chance to continue.

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:41 pm

So I haven't posted since April and this is due in a few weeks, so what? Sorry, everyone, the year got away from me, as I was afraid it might. But almost all my worries of the year are over, including going completely deaf and getting an implant (they turn it on tomorrow). I'm not allowed to lift or do anything strenuous for another week or so and I was doing some light cleaning when I came across this project tucked away. I know there probably isn't enough time for me to finish this (and certainly not doing it the way I wanted to), but hey, it's a challenge, right?
I dusted everything off, cleaned the track, ran the loco to make sure everything was still in good order and commenced to continue on Mt. Hooey. I pretty much have a clear idea in my head what I want to do with the loco and rolling stock, so I thought I'd better focus on everything else first. I spent a few hours today working on the pathway up the mountain;
I stole the bench and cover from my very first Gn15 layout attempt, which sadly was destroyed in a big move last year. Built a platform and then just built my way up using a mix of cut wood and twigs for that rustic, dangerous feel. It wound up being a series of steep ladders and another platform near the halfway mark. Then I started adding lots of support timber to the track for that nest feel I was looking for and also to distract from the artificial look of the mountain.
Last thing today was to start on the log supports for the upper platform.
So much to do and so little time! Well, I'm going to finish this one even if it's not done on time. Must try to get up early to squeeze some time in on this every day!

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Chris - Great to see you posting again.

I love this update - the whole layout has an organic feel - tree-house meets railroad!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am

Sorry to hear you had problems, hope the implant works OK, good for you getting back to your modeling, but don't go over doing those early mornings :D
Just Playing Trains!

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

This is turning into a wood-fired pizza (layout)!!! Sorry, I'll get my coat. :D
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 am

Chris, don´t worry. They prescribed me one of those electronic hearing aids as well some weeks ago.

Life became much louder. Crumpling paper and squeeking train doors drive me insane. I suspected, most people around me talk rubbish, mainly those cellphone folks in public transport. Meanwhile I am certain. Not something I really wanted to know. But there is a knob, to switch the hearing aid off.

I love the Snowflake Challenge Pizza.

Have Fun

Juergen

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 pm

My implant is active and I'm on the way to better hearing. So I've celebrated by doing a bit more on the BSER.
Here's one of the excursion cars;

And here's the open car (quite cold);

A start on the loco. I was going to do it styrene, but card is quicker and more fun;
I neglected to consider the height of the train when placing the track and now I wonder if the peak of Mt. Hooey will actually be visible behind the train!

Last up is the loco a little further along in progress;
Out for the rest of the day, but hope to be back at it tomorrow!

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:22 pm

8) Excellent work - looks really good. Very clever idea!

Roger

:D
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Great work Chris.
I do like that driver. The flying goggles really look the part!
Did you make him?

Roger Jenner
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, Narrow gauge railways

Postby Roger Jenner » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 am

Very Gnice work, love it.

This really is 'thinking outside the box'. :D
Roger

Zoange
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox