MG&FT Baseboards and Card Buildings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

MG&FT Baseboards and Card Buildings

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Fellow Gnatters,

Having spent far too long building engines and rolling stock for the Much Gnattering & Far Twaddle Light Railway,

I thought it was about time I started building somewhere to run them.

Some years ago, I purchased three birch ply baseboard kits from Ray Regan, owner of "Brilliant Baseboards". I decided to assemble them as the start of the MG&FT.

From Right to Left - kit as it comes, parts unwrapped, dry assembly.

Ray passed away not long after I bought the kits and to his credit the kits are a brilliant concept - easy to assemble, standard unit size, modular etc. Does any member know whether his business was sold as the website has remained static since Ray's passing and I'm sure there's a market for his products ? Website link here:
http://www.brilliant-baseboards.co.uk/

Three assembled kits, this stage took about 45 minutes. The most difficult part was getting glue on the joint faces.

Legs and end blocks await installation. In planning a layout where the scale is quite large (1/24th ish) I thought I'd have a go at making a station building out of cardboard and/or card stock to give me perspective on what I could fit on a board.

A small and simple station building made from card. More details here:

The windows are from Port Wynnstay, web link here : http://www.portwynnstay.co.uk/
and are the 7mm scale large industrial types. I think they are in proportion to the rest of this simple structure.

Close up showing valance detail. The MG&FT is a fantasy railway so the architectural features are not really true to scale, i.e. the bricks are random and not to scale. I'm in the process of grouting them with wood filler. This will be followed by sealing the card with an acrylic resin varnish spray (in Canada this product is sold for the active craft market)

Then paining and weathering can commence. The final view shows the MG&FT's female driver - "Polly Kettle" standing in front of the new corporate structure. More to follow.
Regards
Mark

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:04 am

Looks like you making good progress with your modules.
They should be light and plenty strong enough.
Do you have a track layout in mind?
I.e. is this going to be a continuous loop, or a shunting yard operation?

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 am

Glen,

I have to admit that I get a great deal of pleasure just watching trains go round and round, but there must be some degree of operation as I also get bored quickly. So my initial thoughts are for a continuous loop and a small terminus in a fat L configuration i.e. 2 X units together side by side lengthways and 1 unit on the end. I also have to get the coupling system working with such long buffers and high roofs. It's in the early planning stages but at least it's a start.

The card stock building is coming along and I like working with the material, especially as its cheap. We'll see how it comes along with wood filler and painting.
Kind regards,
Mark

ijopson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: MODELMAKING, WOODWORK

Postby ijopson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Great topic, I look forward to watching it grow. I like the idea of non-scale fantasy brickwork and this idea may appear in my project soon.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Mark Goodwin wrote:my initial thoughts are for a continuous loop and a small terminus in a fat L configuration i.e. 2 X units together side by side lengthways and 1 unit on the end. I also have to get the coupling system working with such long buffers and high roofs.

There is nothing wrong with continuous loops. I've had a few of them in the past. :wink: The reason I asked was that I couldn't work out from the photos how wide the boards were. But now I've been on the website and found out they are 600x1200mm. 600mm diameter is going to be a fairly tight curve for your stock to get around. (not tight by Gn15 standards, but your stock is a little larger than traditional Gn15 stock :wink: ) But I'm sure after a few tests you will work out a coupling solution.

And don't forget you'll need an extensive yard in front of the engine shed to park your fleet :wink:

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Fellow GN15 modellers,

Progress after 24 hrs has consisted of base coating the structure and trying some new processes in regard of brick work.

The colour of the wood siding is Army Painter desert yellow (using their primer aerosol). On the right of the photo is one paint stroke with some Vellejo Bone White from their Game Colour range. This is the start of the shading process.

There are four colours of bricks and the effect will look better once the pointing is done. The 3/4 view below highlights the shading difference much better.

Cheers
Mark

Nige
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Emett

Postby Nige » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 am

600mm diameter is going to be a fairly tight curve for your stock to get around

I have started building a continuous loop for my Emett stock on a 6' x 2' board - the curves are 9" radius and the small wheelbase of the stock means they can get round without difficulty (I've also built some 4.5" radius curves for my tram which, again, the 1" Tenshodo wheelbase gets round without difficulty). As Mark says, though, the big challenge is the coupling system which needs to be long enough to avoid buffer lock - I'll be very interested to see what you come up with here as I'm short on ideas. Interestingly, many of Emett's drawings feature a single, central buffer which would have made life a lot easier here.
Nigel

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 am

Would this product work on tight corners?

http://www.keen-systems.com/page2.html
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Nige and Ian

I have often considered removing the buffers from my "Smallbrook" stock and fitting a centre type of coupling. This may be the best solution and removes the potential for buffer lock - but then there's the roof overhang of the "Oysterbeach" coaches.

The solution be an absence of automatic uncoupling and as using the simple long bar and coupling pin as recommended by Mike Rayner (Smallbrook Studios) in his "Emett" inspired range. I'm just concerned that with the weight of these models, the small piece of resin bearing this may be prone to breaking.

The Keen system looks interesting. One day I'll just have to sit down and solve this dilemma.
Thanks for your help,
Best wishes
Mark

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:27 am

G'day Guys
As one who has built Emett 'stuff' I used the original Triang 'hook and bar' couplings on my stock. The modern couplings are too narrow.
As I didn't have any reversing loops on the layout I removed the hooks from one end of each wagon/engine to make any 'Ops'es' less traumatic.
And as one modeller commented it was the first time that the couplers didn't look out of place.
If you didn't want to do any shunting you could always bed some of those rare earth magnets into the buffer heads and use those as couplers :D
Although you would have to get the 'phasing' right and the stock would still not be able to be reversed.
Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Adrian wrote:Although you would have to get the 'phasing' right

It would certainly make propelling a train different with the magnets repelling each other!!
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Fellow GN15 modellers,

The card station building is nearing completion - the exterior is complete and its just a matter of detailing the interior and possibly some signage on the door.

This close up show the window frames. I secure the glazing with CA (I'm aware of the potential for the white shadowing, but the smallest amount is required. Once the glazing is attached I then flood the frame with acrylic gloss varnish - this gives a nice glazing effect and assists in securing the glazing to the frame.

I've found card easy to work with - it costs nothing and is a good way of recycling waste. I always seal the card with a varnish and I use wood filler to create the mortar joints and fill the visible corrugated edges. The wood filler is flexible to minimize cracking.

Well, now the station building is sorted - it's the track plan that requires action followed by track laying and coupler systems.
Cheers,
Mark

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 am

Excellent card work followed up with a fantastic coat of paint(s)!

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Gnice Mark, full of character 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Great looking building.
I like the way you have painted the weatherboards with more than one colour to enhance the shadow effect and give it some character.
How about a pigeon or seagull on the roof to finish off?

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Dithering Junction Signal Box

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:58 pm

As I ponder what I can fit in on the three baseboards previously shown here, I decided to build a signal box for the MG & FT.

Here is the "cunning plan" for the signal box with a Driver Firestone used for scale purposes.

Now this doesn't look too large and would be a nice companion for the station building................this next photo shows what the model looks like compared to the plan. The windows are some industrial 1/24 brewery mouldings obtained a few years back via ebay. I think they were made by POLA and come complete with sills. The door to be used also comes from this series. The card has just been sealed with an acrylic varnish.

The next view shows a size comparison with the station building and what the structure would look like, we'll if it were sort of higher.......to get a good view of approaching trains.........

If I choose the high up version, then I have to adorn the plinth with bricks and a window and possibly some supporting brackets and then make a staircase to the door.........with handrails.......and newel posts......and uprights........oh yes, interior detailing, stove, clock, point levers, telegraph apparatus etc.etc

This option is a challenge and will add some visual interest. The ever present photo opportunist member of MG&FT staff in the next picture is Driver Austin Firestone who is smoking a fag (for the non PC) or sucking on a lolly (for children, the politically correct and Kojak fans).

Painting starts tomorrow.
Keep those engines running,
Mark

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:21 am

The Signal Box certainly compliments the Station Mark.
The spirit of Emett would certainly be achieved with Box mounted on a plinth with a circuitous stairs to reach door. :wink: :lol:
Great modelling, look forward to seeing the layout. 8)
Does your original UK manufactured diorama feature as part of layout :?:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 am

Wow Mark,

Just as cracking as your locos & stock!

Trevor
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Gerry and Trevor

My "Chipping Clinker" diorama was a test bed of processes - buildings, ground cover, track bed etc. I don't have plans to include it in the planned layout.

I've decided to go for operation rather than continuous running - so it's going to be a terminus with a signal box, single road engine shed, station building and possibly a goods shed if there's room. The three 4' x 2' baseboards will be end to end with two used for scenery and the other as a fiddle yard.

The idea of a single road engine shed came to me with the plastic window bundle I purchased some years ago. There are some nice arched windows that would look in proportion to an engine shed with tall doors (to accommodate those "Smallbrook/Emettesque/MG&FT" tall chimneys).

However, not to be too distracted, I like the idea of the next engine having a square chimney - like they had in Belgium. Here's a link to some square and tall chimneys. Square chimneys - 2nd loco down, tall chimneys really did exist, keep going down:

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCO ... himney.htm

Keep those engines running,
Regards
Mark

Nige
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Emett

Postby Nige » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Mark Goodwin wrote:However, not to be too distracted, I like the idea of the next engine having a square chimney - like they had in Belgium. Here's a link to some square and tall chimneys. Square chimneys - 2nd loco down, tall chimneys really did exist, keep going down:

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCO ... himney.htm

I think that Mr Emett would also have approved of the double deck coaches behind the tall chimneyed locomotive - they look like single deck coaches with another one stuck on top (in fact, he did include a triple deck version in 'The Early Morning Milk Train' with the upper coaches tied to the lower one).

Also, Mark, I was wondering whether you have built locomotive number 13 - I've found all of the others up to 15 in your various posts but can't see this one (or did you skip number 13 to avoid interference from the dark forces?!).
Nigel

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Nigel,

Dark forces - There is no engine No.13, but I keep getting ideas. The Douglas Self site certainly has lots of strange locomotives that make even some of Roland Emett's creations seem plausible - the tall chimneys being an example.
Kind regards
Mark

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:25 am

Gotta "watch this topic", too good to miss things.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:28 am

'ello fellow modellers,

Progress update:
To view properly please tilt head to the left at an angle of 45 degrees as I have not yet mastered the photo software.

This ones a close-up, still keep the head at the required angle.

At last, now bring back the head to the normal position for the final picture. The brick plinth on which the wood cabin will rest on is painstakingly being made using individual bricks - stretcher bond only for this one as cutting up half sizes for flemish or english bond is just too fiddly for me. This will give a slightly uneven texture to the finish. Then is the stairway to the door. Any suggestions as to how to create a spiral staircase in 1/24th scale to a height of 4" ?

It's medication time again :roll: :lol: :!:
Mark

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:46 am

You have an extremely impressionistic style of painting, it is very appealing!!

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 am

Hi Mark,

Now how did I guess you were going to do a spiral stair case? There are several rough ones here, but dont think I've got a photo of one. I do have an idea for making one, but cant post at the moment.....

Trevor.
Trevor

Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Return to “Modelling Matters”