TeBee - Side tank 2, long with cab

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

TeBee - Side tank 2, long with cab

Postby henrix72se » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:08 pm

My current scale is not Gn15, but when I saw this 3D-print model which TeeBee made, I just had to have a copy of my own. Along with it I also bought a Heywood wagon which might get painted green aswell later on and used as an extra coal wagon behind, but not now.

The model is still wet on the pictures, the shiny parts will get half flat when dry later.

As you can see below, the cabin is a bit low even for a 1/24 scale figure, but if not placed to close it is a great little steamer for Gn15 scale. I just wish I had ordered it in UFD instead of the WSF material. UFD (Ultra-Fine-Detail) is more expensive, but in this small scale WSF (White-Strong-Flexible) does not really work, it gets to grainy on the surface and in this case we can not really call that a rusty worn out surface.. it gets to much.

I am very fond of it and painting was a treat! I played with my new airbrush and mixed the colours myself which I never done before, not like this.

The direct address to the shop is http://www.shapeways.com/model/1560959/ ... h-cab.html

/Henrik

Last edited by henrix72se on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build Industrial light railways in 09 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Looks like a nice start there Henrik.

Cheers,

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Re: TeBee - Side tank 2, long with cab

Postby lenelg » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:35 pm

henrix72se wrote: As you can see below, the cabin is a bit low even for a 1/24 scale figure, but if not placed too close it is a great little steamer for Gn15 scale.

This version is only 12 percent larger than the version TeBee describes as 1/32, so if that one is closer to scale, the "Gn15" version is more like 1/28 scale.
Lennart Elg

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

TeeBee explained it on the NGRM online forum. The model is made for a sitting driver, hence the height. Compare with all the locos on fex Perrygrove.

Now after I think this is to the best, a "correct" height of the cab would make a bit strange looking locomotive.

Henrik

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm

The cab height is possibly why I would prefer an open cab, as per Heywood locos. If increased in size overall, it would make a well proportioned 18in gauge loco. Very much in the middle ground between miniature and minimum gauge I think.
What chassis is it going to use. A bit big for an 040, possibly the Roco 060 , or the Jouef/Electrotren 060.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:53 pm

I am not sure, but leaning at an On30 porter with a pony truck in the rear as donor chassi.

All seems to be DCC equipped so those have not are very cheap at the moment, at least last year (yesterday..)

/Henrik

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Can't understand why the Bachmann models are so expensive now. The Jouef/Electrotren 060 is very reasonably priced, and small for an 060. Motor is centrally placed so should fit under boiler.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I think it's a bit too long for the Porter chassis, though I've not got one of the 0-4-2 variants to measure. It would be of with the shorted version of this loco. An 0-6-0 or 0-6-2 chassis would be better with this one - this is the somewhat smaller On16.5 version on a BR80 chassis. This might work better on the bigger Gn15 version.

Having thought about it, I can't think of any 15 inch gauge locos with an enclosed cab you drive standing up. Even the Heywood locos you need to sit down or bend down to fire.

18 inch gauge locos are different though.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 am

tebee wrote:I think it's a bit too long for the Porter chassis, though I've not got one of the 0-4-2 variants to measure. It would be of with the shorted version of this loco. An 0-6-0 or 0-6-2 chassis would be better with this one - this is the somewhat smaller On16.5 version on a BR80 chassis. This might work better on the bigger Gn15 version.

Having thought about it, I can't think of any 15 inch gauge locos with an enclosed cab you drive standing up. Even the Heywood locos you need to sit down or bend down to fire.

18 inch gauge locos are different though.

Tom

Which is to long, chassi or body ?

/Henrik

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 am

Body too long for chassis
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 am

that's the chassis I as thinking of. I have one for one of my own locos. Its smaller than the Bachmann USRA 060 so can be used in smaller scale versions of my Joffre and Decauville, but I intend it for a 1/64 scale metre gauge loco(assuming 3D print works). The Jouef/Electrotren loco is about the same size but has simpler valve gear etc, possibly making it more suitable for 15in gauge(The Heywood locos don't appear to have anything complex).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Just been looking at my BR80 chassis. It is a Roco model and has a large weight with large motor at front, not in cab. This means is not so easy to use for the 1/64 scale loco I have designed. I have looked at the Fleischmann model, is that the one you have Tom.
I have just ordered an Electrotren model to see if that fill fit.
One reason I bought the Roco model was to see if it as suitable for a 1/43 version of my Decauville or Joffre WW1 loco, and on rescaling drawings I think it should fit, so might play on that idea. Otherwise might look at something in Gn15.
:roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Mine is actually the Lima one, but it's a plastic copy of the Fleischmann one I sold in one of my broke periods - I used to work freelance and used to buy stuff when I was working and do the toy fairs as a dealer when I was between jobs.

I'm undecided at the moment as to whether I should lash out some of my hard earned cash on buying some more chassis so I can see what will fit or put that money into developing my own chassis so I'm not dependent on other suppliers stuff being available.

Of course the second has the advantage I get 2 sales and to grab a little more of the punter's money :twisted:

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 pm

trouble with designing your own chassis is that it is only one chassis, and complex issues such as valve gear would put me off. Too many variables.
On the other hand, you design a body to fit a propriety chassis and then the manufacturer decides to withdraw it. Have noticed a couple of kit producers have bought up stocks of the chassis so this is less of a problem. I got my Mehano chassis this way. Just need a way of combining it with the Hornby Bill/Ben chassis which is more compact. Unfortunately the wheels are different size as well. :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 am

just got hold of a Lima BR80. Totally different to the more scale Roco version, but motor still too big for my small loco. I checked wheel size and they are bigger than Roco, ie out of scale, but are the same as the Bachmann USRA chassis I am using elsewhere, so am thinking it will make a good alternative there. The Bachmann chassis is also just right for my new 1/55 scale version of loco I originally wanted to do in 1/64. Nearest chassis to 1/64 version is the Hornby/Electrotren 060 chassis.
Is the Fleischmann one same size as Lima or Roco one?
Its a pity there isn't more info out there about propriety loco chassis. There used to be something for OO9 I think. Would not expect manufacturers to do it, although they could produce side drawings of their locos.It would be a start. I use the sideviews on Hattons website , but can only do this for locos they have.
Hattons have another site for locos wanted? Some Mehano there, not for sale, but useful photos.
http://www.ehattons.com/trade/stocklist/prodlist.aspx?ManID=1000446&PrTyID=1000640&ScID=1000591
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 am

There is a thread on one of the French forums with some chassis dimensions.

http://www.passion-metrique.net/forums/ ... f=3&t=6135

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am

thanks, some useful photos. The Roco loco looks like a new version, The motor must be a lot smaller, hidden I assume behind circuit board. If so then it will fit my loco.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Modelling Matters”