A return to modelling in difficult circumstances

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

A return to modelling in difficult circumstances

Postby johna » Tue May 13, 2014 8:03 pm

I am just catching up with things around here as I have been unable to do any modelling recently since my father was very serious ill. Unfortunately he passed away last week so as a way of recovering I would like to start/finish a layout that I had made the baseboard for sometime ago. I notice that not many people are using the forum these days. I am building my own "Mathews Corner". (Never did get a copy of Railway Modeller from August 2007). I have two locos to use on the layout but will need some rolling stock.

I hope Chris does not mind me using his track plan or copying his buildings. I have a track set point and some Peco/Hornby flexi track in stock but have been unable to find an supplier of the Evergreen strip locally to modify the sleepers. Could I just remove every other sleeper or would that look strange on a small NG railway? Is there a need to have sectional breaks on this type of layout?

Would anyone be willing to help me construct a few of the buildings? Maybe just provide me with a scale drawing or any help at all would be most welcome.

Sorry for so many questions

Regards
Johna

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey, questions are what this place is for :D
Condolences on your father :(
And, being in the Middle of Missouri, I am not going to be able to help with the buildings, that magazine is pretty scarce around here.
Part of the aim of publishing track plans is for people to say "oh, that's a good idea! Will have to use some or all of it in mine!".
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: A return to modelling in difficult circumstances

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 pm

johna wrote:Could I just remove every other sleeper or would that look strange on a small NG railway?
you will find that it varies with each person's ability, time, money, supply availability. It is what I did with some Atlas code 100 track. I have code 100 rail stock and basswood ties I cut and stained, but my health is messy and if I wanted something in this lifetime, the altered HO was the way to go. My layout is stalled and cluttered over at the moment, but here,

Is there a need to have sectional breaks on this type of layout?
That is another "it depends".
On the size of the layout.
On the complexity of track.
On how many trains you wish to run at the same time.
On whether you want to park and turn off a powered unit while another train works.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 am

Railway modelling is good medicine. Just get stuck in and start.
I have found that just removing alternative sleepers is good enough for me. They get buried anyway.
As for buildings check out dolls house suppliers as some now do 1/24 scale, including greenhouses.
It is a bit quiet round here. I have noticed other online forums are quiet, so it just might be that many have switched to other social networks. One or two have dropped off because of certain things happening. Pity as forums such as this are usually safer and better moderated. Also easier to look back at older postings.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 am

Welcome aboard !
For Gn15 track, you could watch this topic:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9813
Hope this helps.
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 pm

It does seem rather quiet here these days, but the crew who regularly post are doing a great job at providing us lurkers some fantastic reading material. This is the place where I come to to get inspiration,for I feel that rather than modelling 15" at GN15, I model GN15 at 15" gauge, or more accurately 24:1 scale!
I'm blowed if I can find a supplier of orange netting in my scale though! :twisted:
It doesn't matter what you use for sleepers or spacings... The stateside lot seem to use 2" square ties at close spacings, where uk side will use anything upto BR sleeper cut in two. Ourselves use 3'x10"x6" at 2'6 spacings, having moved up from half tub sleepers, not by necessity but by supply.
If you can post a picture of what you're doing, I'll show you where it can be found reality! Don't get too hung up on what is prototypical, the thing with any railway is that it is done though the need to do a job for a reason. It will be done with whatever materials are at hand and in the (usually) cheapest way.
Go for it, build the track and if it doesn't look quite right, I'll build a panel in your style just so you have the proof! :lol:
Have fun, enjoy and most importantly, SHARE! Where else will I get my ideas!

David
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 am

First things first, I offer you my condolences, but its great that you turn to your hobby to help you and not anything more destructive like a close friend of mine once did.

I am happy to help with buildings etc, any excuse to get the ruler and craft knife out, PM me with what you want and I'll do everything I can to help 8)
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby johna » Fri May 16, 2014 9:51 am

Hi guys

Thanks for all your advise so far. A bit of change in direction now. I have space on a shelf for this now - http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page62a/index.html

I have always like this simple track plan and "SAP" layout from Carl so I made the baseboard last night and have sourced a CD and box for the turntable.

John

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri May 16, 2014 11:47 am

That works.
Carl's site is cool. Sad that he passed away a year or few ago. I know he is missed by many who knew him in person.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Fri May 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Sorry for your loss John.

The SAP line is one of my favorites, good choice!

This forum is a treasure to me. Yes, it is rather slow right now, but many forums are at this time of the year. I spend several hours reading old threads here every day. LOTS of information and entertainment for sure.

Looking forward to seeing progress on your layout. :)
Ken

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby johna » Fri May 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Yes the Sap is a lovely little layout? I am trying to source a maple tree at the moment. I got a 90 degree crossing from eBay and a member of this forum is helping with the building. So thanks guys for all the help so far.

john

Return to “Modelling Matters”