Effie update

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I currently model in 009 narrow gauge but having seen your site I will put that on the back burner and convert to GN15. What a fantastic scale.

Effie update

Postby Rust Boiler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 pm

I have been a bit side tracked learning how to use my fantastic rivet press from GW Models. I love using this thing and I think you will agree it does a superb job. I have done more rivets than on the original but so what who cares, it looks okay I think?
I have turned some spectacles a dome and chimney for her and attached the cab side plates thingeys. [img]http://my.gn15.info/img_0364.jpg[/img]
[img]http://my.gn15.info/img_0365.jpg[/img] [/img]

Damn ...sorry this is supposed to go in"My First Critter."
Really sorry Ed ! Moderater.
Pete
It's not what you make it's how you make it.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Quick question Pete, do you have the "Disable BBCode in this post" checked?

The reason I ask is if I do a quote of your post and preview it I can see your pictures.

If you do have that box checked it would explain why your pictures don't show in your post.

Gnice work on the model though, the rivets look great :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I currently model in 009 narrow gauge but having seen your site I will put that on the back burner and convert to GN15. What a fantastic scale.

BB Code

Postby Rust Boiler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Yes I did have the BB Code disabled but I have now enabled it so I hope the pics come up. I don't understand what BB Code means.
These are new pics with the rivets having been made with the GW rivet press which is a fantastic tool. I am riveting everything I see now just to get my monies worth!
Will submit this now to see if the pics come out.
Pete

Yeah yeah...Hooray I have twigged!! Pics at last ...Duhhh!!!....Sorry folks and I am sorry to the moderators because this SHOULD have gone in the "MY FIRST CRITTER" category.
I will get there in the end.
Have had a lot of help from Mike Mott with pics and drawings for another Critter. Can't wait to get started but I MUST finish EFFIE first.
Don't know whether to leave the motion as is and call it a day or to make steam chests, pistons, cross heads blah blah???? at the moment it GOES so leave it alone? AAhhhh!!
Do I have to order a driver figure from the states then?
Can someone close sell me one please as I need it for sizing.( Scale)
Pete

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm

That's fixed it, pictures have come through now :D

You're not the first person to fall foul of this check box :mrgreen: I doubt you'll be the last!

BB Code is short for 'Bulletin Board Code', just a formatting tool used in these sorts of forums. There's a page on Wikipedia about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

BB Code

Postby Rust Boiler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks Barry for your help. Yet another life skill learnt in my old age!
I think I will adopt your approach if no success at first.
There is a lot to be said about hitting it with a hammer. It fixes it one way or another. The first way is that the offending piece will work again and the second option if hit too hard is that it is still fixed as you will not have to ever worry about it again. Just plant it in a wheely bin!! End Of!! No more worries!!
Pete

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Effie still in the making

Postby Rust Boiler » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi guys really sorry I have not been able to do much of late due to a near fatal car accident I was involved in. Fractured my spine in two places so it has been operations and a three months lay up for me.
The good news is that I have been busy again with Effie my first model so If I can remember how to post the pics here goes...be patient with me please.
Just a quick one. I want to build diesels really and I was looking at the Tenshodo Spud power units and have read some not too positive remarks about their reliability. Are these units good reliable sources of power or not?
If not then I will go down the isle of trying to build my own.
Has anybody built their own chassis to fit the small diesels.
http://my.gn15.info/ebay_stuff_034.jpg

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:25 am

Sorry to here about the RTC. I've not had much experience with Tenshodos. The two I owned in the past ran okay, but I have also heard negative feedback. I have used Halling motor bogies in the past and would recommend them.http://www.halling.at/Zubehoer/Antriebe?languageid=2

Simon.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 am

Here's the photo.

cheers,

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:54 am

Pete,

With regard to the Tenshodo bogie I have one under the Fordson rail tractor and it works quite well. It is not over fond of dead frog points, but this is true of many short four wheel chassis. I have found that the more weight you can get in the model the better it runs, the tractor I run is a white metal kit so is pretty heavy. The Tenshodo bogie has never let me down at an exhibition yet.

Peter M
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

The Spuds I have used in my 20hp Simplexes are a bit worn out. First exhibition with one and I had to strip it down after running continuously all day(maybe that was the problem). It is still only really happy to run in one direction.
Running back and forth is probably better. Motors still seem to run hot, as do some of my N gauge chassis. maybe I should build some non pizza type layouts.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Tenshodo Spuds

Postby Rust Boiler » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for you inputs guys. Just love the Fordson and I have seen an article about these somewhere supplying an 009 kit of parts to make one up. Apparently the prototype was not a success but modelling wise it's funky and I like it a lot!
I don't know what to make of the Tenshodo Spud as there are differing points of view. I would have like to have heard " Brilliant little unit, worth every penny, runs a dream" but I am not getting that.
I am only new here but it seems to me that there is a market for a SPUD like chassis that sits under all and a number of potential critters and offering " Open Cab " facility .
In other words " FLAT ", so you can put what you like on top.
That, to me spells
1. All metal chassis to provide traction and low CG.
2. Faultless running ( And it is achievable as I model primarily in 009 and have some brilliant tiny locos built from Brian Madge kits that run beautifully)
They are powered by coreless micro motors and belt driven with a tiny rubber band using pulleys instead of gear boxes. This system works!!
I think I will explore further with what Nigel Lawton has to offer.
He has all and a number of motors, belts, gears, wheels, ...the whole nine yards material to knock up a chassis.
Think there is a guy in Australia with the same point of view and wants to get together with someone to provide the need for this kind of chassis. Trouble is ...I am not a manufacturer.
Okay I stand by to get blasted!
Be kind..I am only expressing an opinion.
javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
:wink: :cry: :wink:

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 pm

Tenshodo I have runs nice and smooth, but the BEC seem to have the edgei IMHO, and a bit heftier as well. Also seem to start smoother and run a touch slower. Supposed to be posting some comparison tests, but work catching up with me at the moment

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Tenshodo Spuds

Postby Rust Boiler » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 am

Hi Adam
There seems to be some interest in this topic and I do like your MOVIE PIC !!
In the field of railway modelling something always leads to another and we always see something that we want Yes?
In order to keep things in their right boxes and keep our hard working administrators free of extra work I am going to open a new thread to suggest an alternative to the Tenshodo Spud which might be preferable.
I want to put forward some ideas and who knows, as a group we might come up with something that will out perform it.
I have so often bought chassis for various 009 projects and so often been disappointed and wasted money. I would rather pay the extra for quality so for all of us interested please go to the thread headed " Diesel Critter Chassis"

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Effie done now.

Postby Rust Boiler » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm

I have finished Effie now with a few added bits on the back head and a reversing lever. Been good fun and I now look forward to going Diesel.
http://my.gn15.info/effie_004.jpg
http://my.gn15.info/effie_003.jpg

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Is that the reversing lever actually up there forward of cab front plate?
Seems odd, but then again, given how compact Effie is in reality, where else could it be.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Reversing lever

Postby Rust Boiler » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:40 am

[quote="Willow Creek Traction"]Is that the reversing lever actually up there forward of cab front plate?
Seems odd, but then again, given how compact Effie is in reality, where else could it be.[/quote]

I am not a steam Buff but I have assumed that the lever I saw in the drawing is the reversing lever so yes!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am

EFFIE meanwhile left the UK and arrived at Kraehwinkel port by boat yesterday:

The Viking steampunk boat was too fast for the coast guards on both sides of the Channel.

They picked up a bunch of penguins from Lemax Land on the way over.

They might find a cosey place at the local zoo.

Have fun

Juergen

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm

The reversing lever is there on the original too

However I think there was a gap between the weatherboard and the bunker side as well so it was easier to get to.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm

As this replica Tom:

http://www.avs-avs.freeserve.co.uk/rail ... 80400b.jpg

Just the link in view of copyright.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Reversing lever and Effie cab detail

Postby Rust Boiler » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm

[quote="Gerry Bullock"]As this replica Tom:

http://www.avs-avs.freeserve.co.uk/rail ... 80400b.jpg

Just the link in view of copyright.[/quote]
Thanks Gerry for that excellent pic of the Effie Back plate.
That was the pic I was searching for but could not find it in the Heywood book. ( Obviously)
I have tried my best to make it look like a steamer and it has been fun. Okay it is not deadly accurate and I have a lot to learn.
I did actually think when building it that the lever would be cumbersome to operate little thinking that there was a gap tween splash plate thingey and the sides!
All is now clear and I wish I could have seen this pic earlier.
I improvised with cab detail.
Oh God I am sohhh defensive sometimes!!

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I don't know if this will help, but here are a few shots of Effie's backhead...
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”