Titch/Tiny hybrids

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Titch/Tiny hybrids

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Sometimes, and I'm sure others must get this aswell, you get an idea in your head and it just wont go away. This is one of those :roll: .
Ever since adding Tiny to my Gnine range, I have wanted to try and get the front bonnet cover to fit on it's Bachmann powered stablemate, but I was fairly certain that it wouldnt work, with the shape and motor position of the Bachmann mechanism. Well turns out I was wrong, all it took was a little bit of filing to the bonnet casting, to allow it to sit a little further forward and everything just fitted into place. It is only a minor alteration really, but it does change the character of the loco by quite a bit. In the photo below, the original Titch in green livery, with the modified one in a kind of dirty yellowish colour sat in front. Apologies for the lighting being a bit off, there isnt much natural light around at midnight :wink:

Only problem is, while putting this together, I had a further idea for another variation, a little more involved this time and I'm still working on it, so you will have to wait a bit longer. If it works, it will change the appearance quite a lot. After that, there is yet another idea waiting to be tried :roll: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 am

Hmmmm, I'd been thinking along those lines too, and I was fairly certain it would fit, worse case would have been a bit of packing behind the front plate :D

Are you thinking of turning the Tiny into a water cooled version by adding the radiator off of a Titch? I've thought about it as a future project :D

I also have a couple of other ideas.......... :D :D

Thats what I like about your Kits Steve, they are so simple to assemble (thanks in no small part to your design work) that they are very easy to make tweaks and changes to change the character and give a whole new look to the finished model :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 am

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:Thats what I like about your Kits Steve, they are so simple to assemble (thanks in no small part to your design work) that they are very easy to make tweaks and changes to change the character and give a whole new look to the finished model :D

Thanks Barry, I probably design them that way so that I can play around, swapping and changing parts. I will take some pics of the tweaks needed to the bonnet, when I get further on with the next one.

I must admit, I prefer the power characteristics of the Bachmann mechanism, for a small shunting layout, which is all I have at the moment :roll: , so this is why I have been playing with it. The big lump coming up through the footplate, does offer a few design challenges though, but thats part of the fun :wink:

With hindsight, I probably could have gained a bit more space in the cab area, possibly a millimetre or two, by moving the bonnet a little further forward, doesnt sound much, but on something this small, it makes a difference :) . Here is a pic of the pretty standard back end.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Having had a huge amount of fun, :D thanks to your parts bin playing with modifying Tich/Tiny I am very tempted to to try a few more - may actually put a mechanism under them so that I can make them move :o

A few ideas that I am thinking of ,sorry if I am jumping in here, would be

* move the louvre panels (1) to under the drving seat
* consider modifying the "wasp/hornet" bonnet and radiator- will it fit?
* I think from working on my model - if you used the the Kato unit/chassis and the top from Titch you would have lots of room to actual model a diesel engine/transmission - if I had any idea what this would look like.
You could supply a resin engine for us modifiers - with a cyclinder head added could you cast something like this ? rough dimensions 2.5cm x 2cm

I've got a few more thoughts ,some of which are a bit more radical, but look forward to seeing what you come with - and thanks for making all the bits for us so that we can play
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:25 pm

gfadvance wrote:Having had a huge amount of fun, :D thanks to your parts bin playing with modifying Tich/Tiny I am very tempted to to try a few more - may actually put a mechanism under them so that I can make them move :o

:lol: That means you would also need to build a layout :lol:
Will have to see if we can arrange some encouragment in that direction :wink: .

A few ideas that I am thinking of ,sorry if I am jumping in here, would be

No problem, I have too many ideas already, a few more wont hurt :)

* move the louvre panels (1) to under the drving seat

Those panels are a little too big to fit on the side of the seat unit, but I do have some smaller ones that should work, will give it a try.

* consider modifying the "wasp/hornet" bonnet and radiator- will it fit?

Ah, I'm ahead of you on that one, already tried it. Unfortunately, without modifying, the Hornet/Wasp bonnet is too long. It would need cutting back by a fair amount, then the positioning of the doors on it prove a bit of a headache. A new moulding for the bonnet, is not out of the frame, but down the list a bit.

* I think from working on my model - if you used the the Kato unit/chassis and the top from Titch you would have lots of room to actual model a diesel engine/transmission - if I had any idea what this would look like.

Yes, there is plenty of room. The one drawback though, is that there wouldnt be much scope for adding any weight to the loco to get decent running. The Kato is not too bad without weight, but it can be a bit erratic at picking up power without at least some added.

You could supply a resin engine for us modifiers - with a cyclinder head added could you cast something like this ? rough dimensions 2.5cm x 2cm

Something I often think about, but not sure how viable commercially. With the multitude of cheap toys around with good qualty engines in them, I doubt I could compete on price, or detail levels. Your model did get me thinking though, so you never know :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Although I'm gnot the greatest fan of diesel critters, the idea of a heavyweight engine casting (or castings) has occurred to me before.

In this context, a lost-wax whitemetal casting, using the kind of mould that I make, or the rather more professional stuff Steve B and others do, to make the wax inter-master, would be tedious and expensive, but, like the fings I did wen I were a yoof and into wargaming, maybe gnot beyond the combined resources of this list, in the quantities we'd gneed.

Given the standard of their workmanship, though, perhaps the Laserganag could gnock then off as an etched-titanium kit if someone had the right CAD-CAM files. :) ;)

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Hmmmmmmm :!: Watching with interest :wink:

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:58 pm

AndyA wrote:In this context, a lost-wax whitemetal casting, using the kind of mould that I make, or the rather more professional stuff Steve B and others do, to make the wax inter-master, would be tedious and expensive, but, like the fings I did wen I were a yoof and into wargaming, maybe gnot beyond the combined resources of this list, in the quantities we'd gneed.

Spin cast in whitemetal/pewter would probably be the best method and would give a lot cleaner results than the lost wax method. On a negative note though, the numbers involved, probably wouldnt warrant the set up time/cost.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Steve Bennett wrote: :lol: That means you would also need to build a layout :lol:
Will have to see if we can arrange some encouragment in that direction :wink:

Fair comment, but its not from want of trying. I have over the last few months built 4 different baseboards ranging from 36"x18" down to 16"x 9".
No track actually laid - apart from the small pizza which I have used to run in a few mechanisms. After looking at Colin's "The Ambasador's Micro" think thats about the size and complexity I can deal with.

:idea: Maybe I can do a swap I''ll build someone a modified Tich/Tiny if they will make a small layout for me - I'll supply the baseboard and track all they would have to do is make the decisions as to track plan etc - something i am obviously incapable of resolving :oops:
Could they do the wiring as well :roll:
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Another kitbash

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh dear, yes I have been playing again :lol:

This started as an experiment to see if a resin kit could be put together with PVA glue, you can read more about that here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5096

In order to test this worked, I took a few bits from a "Tiny" kit and added a new styrene cab. I was quite surprised at how much difference it made to the appearance. Here it is before painting which shows well the different parts.

I also revisited some old weathering techniques from my days of Military modelling, which I havent used for nearly 20 years and they almost resulted in this going in the bin, but in the end, it didnt turn out too bad. Here is the completed model:

Now all I need to do is fit some DG Couplings in the pockets and it will be put to work/play :) .

I guess one final pic with Jon onboard to give a better sense of scale, it's strange, the cab does make it look a bigger model than the original, even though the size is the same.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Gnat's got a little brother :!:
Looks gnice Steve 8)
How about comparison pictures between this and a Gnat and this and a Tiny please :?:
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 pm

That we can do :lol: Here with big brother Gnat

The size difference is more obvious when it comes to the width, oh and ignore the wheels on the Gnat, it has the wrong wheelbase Black Beetle under it at the moment :roll:

and finally alongside Tiny

Last edited by Steve Bennett on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Ian Thompson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: logging equip., old junk, illustration

Postby Ian Thompson » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Looks great Steve, inspiring work as usual. I think I can honestly say that this size has put me right off Gn15, it just looks too big now! I might have to have a yard sale.

Take care
Ian
THE UGLIER THE BETTER

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Looks great Steve, inspiring work as usual. I think I can honestly say that this size has put me right off Gn15, it just looks too big now! I might have to have a yard sale.

:lol: I know what you mean :lol:
I do like both Gn15 and Gnine for different reasons. I thought when I started with Gn15 that I could leave the 9mm gauge stuff behind, but I couldnt, guess it's in the blood, or something like that :lol: . It could be that there is a bit more freedom for expression, as such a small gauge being used for anything useful is not very probable, so you can let your imagination loose :) .

Thanks.
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Great looking kit bash Steve 8) Hope you do release it as a kit, it will make a nice conpanion for the other Gnine locos.

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Great looking kit bash Steve 8) Hope you do release it as a kit, it will make a nice conpanion for the other Gnine locos.

Well I am tempted, but there are a few more ideas I want to try first, so hang fire, you might change your mind :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 pm

It does look good with the Gnat. I can see an industial themed layout with the smaller industries serviced by Gnine at the larger with Gn15.

Have you thought of a name for it :?: How about "Bitza 2009" :wink:

I'm also suprised that it looks closer in size to the Gnat than the Tiny :shock: Somehow the wheelbase looks longer :?

Looking forward to your other ideas 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Jon Randall wrote:Have you thought of a name for it :?: How about "Bitza 2009" :wink:

What, you want to wait until christmas :lol:

I am open to suggestions for names though, so start thinking :)

First though, there will be a kit very similar, but to fit on a Bachmann Plymouth, why :?: because I want several :lol:
After that I will do this version and to really throw a spanner in the works, I also have a different design of bonnet that I think will work as well :roll: so there could be 4 variations on the same/similar theme.
So yes, some names would give me something less to think about :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
Simon Andrews wrote:Great looking kit bash Steve 8) Hope you do release it as a kit, it will make a nice conpanion for the other Gnine locos.

Well I am tempted, but there are a few more ideas I want to try first, so hang fire, you might change your mind :wink: .

Consider this an Pre-order for two units Steve :D
They'll work out just fine, with or without any modifications :wink:

And a couple of the Driver Trailers as well, they are in production, right? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
Jon Randall wrote:Have you thought of a name for it :?: How about "Bitza 2009" :wink:

What, you want to wait until christmas :lol:

I am open to suggestions for names though, so start thinking :)

First though, there will be a kit very similar, but to fit on a Bachmann Plymouth, why :?: because I want several :lol:
After that I will do this version and to really throw a spanner in the works, I also have a different design of bonnet that I think will work as well :roll: so there could be 4 variations on the same/similar theme.
So yes, some names would give me something less to think about :lol:

Make that a pre-order for some of the others as well then :wink:
Barry Weston

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:Make that a pre-order for some of the others as well then :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Took your time Barry, still getting your PC sorted I guess :D
Dont worry, you will be among the first to know when they are ready :wink:

Finished off the final touches tonight. Added a battery under the seat and an oil can alongside, not that either will really be visable once there is a figure onboard :roll: . Also shortened the gearshift to give a bit of clearance under the throttle, cant have the driver grazing his knuckles :) .
Now the coupling is installed aswell, time for a play :wink:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:44 am

Steve Bennett wrote: Added a battery under the seat and an oil can alongside, not that either will really be visable once there is a figure onboard :roll: .

What might be a neat touch with having that battery under there is to have jumper cables hanging over back wall.
(are jumper cables called by another name over there?)

BTW - if it's 7pm (1900) here, what kind of crazy hours are you keeping over there?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 am

Willow Creek Traction wrote:
Steve Bennett wrote: Added a battery under the seat and an oil can alongside, not that either will really be visable once there is a figure onboard :roll: .

What might be a neat touch with having that battery under there is to have jumper cables hanging over back wall.
(are jumper cables called by another name over there?)

BTW - if it's 7pm (1900) here, what kind of crazy hours are you keeping over there?

:lol: It is early yet :lol:
I only sleep 3 - 4 hours a night, so yes, I keep crazy hours.

Jumper Cables is close, we call them Jump Leads over here. Not sure about adding them on this one, it looks pretty cluttered when there is a figure on it, it is only tiny :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Wed May 13, 2009 8:54 am

CAN YOU HELP Steve, I am in the process of building a loco body to fit on one of your chassis, the only trouble is :? :? :? :? I don't know if it is GN15 or GNine :lol: :lol: :lol: .
it is 24.5 wheel base, 26mm wide x 56mm long with a 20x15mm cutout in
the middle and looks like your Tiny/Titch chassis :oops: :oops: :oops:
it does look a bit on the small side for GN15, can you let me know which motor bogie will fit. as i am making a fresh start.
I will send you some photo's soon :) :) :)
kind regards Richard.

The move was worth IT!!!!!!!!!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 am

That one is designed to take a 24.5mm wheelbase Tenshodo, so it will be Gn15 Richard, a small one though :) This might give a few more ideas as it uses the same size underframe and can be used on either gauge
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2665
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “GNine”