Considering GNine

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

route29
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: model railroading, trains

Considering GNine

Postby route29 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 am

:D Hello everyone. I'm a gnewby here and was just wondering if anyone has built a GNine loco out of larger N scale locomotives, like 4 or 6 axle road switchers. I have a large collection of N scale and would like to use stuff I had on hand.
John

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:17 am

Hi John and welcome to the forum :D

I have thought about using Bo-Bo chassis for some locos, but don't Gneed aGnother Gnew project just at this moment. What sort of locos were you thinking of building, minitures or "real" locos?
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Given the large overhang on a Gnine model a 4 axle, 2 truck, chassis would be hard to distiguish from one with two or three on a rigid frame. As long as it's an internal combustion machine I wouldn't have thought there was any problem with a 4 axle loco anyway. If it is running on an industrial, rather than pleasure, line the articulation would be benificial to tracking on uneven rails.

The latest incarnation of Hayfinch is in O9 and uses bogie goods wagons for better running but the motive power is built on a Kato tram chassis. When viewed from the normal angle it is impossible to tell what has bogies and what is on a rigid chassis though.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Welcome John,

Follow the link and have a look at Ian Holme's Bo Bo loco http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2036
Or you could use your N gauge stuff as is for a miniature outline look http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2027

Simon.

route29
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby route29 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks for the replies! Barry, I was originally planning to model "real" locomotives, but am warming to the idea of modeling a miniature railway. It would be just like having your own backyard railway - without all the digging! :D

Bob, I hadn't thought about the 2-truck locos tracking better than the rigid frame ones. It would also help if you have insulated frogs on your track.

Simon, thanks for the links. I like the loco that Ian Holmes made. That's kind of what I was thinking about. Carl Arendt's layout is nice, too.
John

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 am

route29 wrote: It would also help if you have insulated frogs on your track.

produces a certain mental image these snowy days... :D

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 am

produces a certain mental image these snowy days...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

teetrix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge in H0 and 0n30/0f

Postby teetrix » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:12 am

Welcome John,

ok, its O9, but have you take a look on Colin Peakes 4axle-diesel?
http://www.shiftingsands.fotopic.net/c1439708.html

His "shifting sands" layout shows a miniature railway for visitors - maybe just the right inspiration for you in Gnine. As an american, you can run it through Disneyland :D . Next loco can be an tiny old western steamer :D

Michael

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 am

I've often thought my bogie diesel design would work in Gnine, although it could perhaps be a litte wider to take a G scale figure sitting in a cut-out in the roof of the loco.

Somewhere I have a design for a miniature US outline Bo-Bo in Gnine, will see if I can dig it out and post it here.

Edit: Found it!! This is to fit the Bachman GP38/U36 chassis.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

route29
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby route29 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 am

Colin, thanks for posting the diesel design. I could definitely do something like that with my N scale chassis. I really like your Shifting Sands layout. Like you, I've always been fascinated by park railways and seaside railways. We used to have two amusement park railways that were on the beach a couple of hours away from where I live. There is also a zoo railway close to the water. Any of them would make an interesting layout.
John

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:10 am

Santa`s village a couple of hours north of here has what I remember as almost an identical loco on 15" rail. I was on it 2 summers ago, alot of fun. You could do a fun amusement park layout, line ups concession stands and games, there is a huge amount of stuff to look at. Although Disney has nothing like this, all of the trains there are full size (or nearly, the Disneyland trains I think are 7/8 full size) the other Disney parks are all full size either rescued or purpose built. There is a forum for Disney train and modelers http://burnsland.com/disneyrailroads/index.php some cool stuff and you may find some ideas there.
Scott B

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:57 am

There's also this train in eastern Ontario: http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/train.htm. It's billed as the "Toy Train" - (groan.... :? )

Not sure of the gauge, though....
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

Return to “GNine”