Riding Car modelling in Gnine

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Riding Car modelling in Gnine

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 am

As riding cars are quite a widespread subject on the smaller gauges, I thought it time to start a topic on them. Not just for mine, but hopefully this can become a reference on the subject if others will contribute their own, making it a pool of modelling ideas.

Needless to say I will start the ball rolling :lol: .
Having been giving the subject some thought, I was trying to find something suitable to use with unmodified N gauge loco's to save carving up the not so cheap models. With this in mind, in quickly became obvious that the riding car I made when I first started in Gnine, was far from suitable ( http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1476 ) , so a different approach was called for.

The first design criteria, was to use a proprietry N gauge chassis. This would mean that standard couplings could be used, so no modification to the loco. Also it would leave the possibility open to modify other N gauge stock, like coaches, for the miniature style of modelling.
For this project I used a Peco 9 foot wagon chassis (NR119) made up as intended.

The second aim, was to make it as a sit in riding car, rather than the sit astride type, so that I wouldn't need to modify a figure. This threw up a problem, any G scale figure, was going to be too wide to fit inside the standard N scale width, so I compromised and went slightly wider. A search around, found an Avalon Line wagon that would suit for this try out, a little short, but would do for now. All that was required then was a seat, which is borrowed from a Sidelines Hornet kit. Here are a few pics of progres so far.

It is only really when a figure is placed on it though, that it really brings home how small this is.

Finally, a couple of pics alongside my original riding car, the size difference is quite an eye opener and you will see why I had to start fresh for this project.

Thats it so far, I might take this one further, adding more detail like a control panel and possibly a hand brake, or a might start again with a slightly longer body. I also quite like the thought of a hinged door on the side to get in and out, rather than the drop down side used here. Then again, somebody else might come up with other ideas and I will change direction again :lol: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:23 am

You could always use the concept of the hand-held controller for the loco - a representation of the control cable from the loco to a box held by or on the lap of the driver. Quite prototypical, I think....

As far as a door is concerned - why not simply cut down the side of the Avalon wagon in front of the seat so that the driver could just swing his legs out?
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 am

Hey Steve,
That is a pretty good OBT (One B*M Truck)
:idea: I can have a dig for some more 5" and 7.25"gauge inspiration from Down Under if you gneed it. But it looks like you are doing fine already :wink:

Minor gnitpick - it gneeds an external brake lever on the side (lift to pull on and a detent to hold it on when parked)
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:30 am

Looks interesting Steve. How about using one of the Avalon Line chassis adaptors too to give it less of the narrow gauge body on standard gauge chassis effect? Personally I don't think it needs a cut out for his feet, the driver could easily climb it as the sides are low enough.

I like the idea of a hand held control and cable to the loco, ought tobe easily rigged up without affecting the N gauge loco. Of course the real reason for this must be that you can't bear to take that 08 apart....

Would be interesting to see what it looks like with an 009 loco in front.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:53 am

Heres an 009 Haig posed with the Avalon wagon and a 1:20 figure.

[img][img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/simonandrews014/miniaturerideon002.jpg[/img][/img]
Simon

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 am

Steve,

I like your idea simple but very effective. Its a shame that Jon sits so high, I'd be tempted to look for a better posed figure maybe a multi pose mechanic :?:

Simon.

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 am

Simon Andrews wrote:Steve,

I like your idea simple but very effective. Its a shame that Jon sits so high, I'd be tempted to look for a better posed figure maybe a multi pose mechanic :?:

Simon.

There's also 'Old Sam' from SLM, he'd look good with a remote control in his hand rather than a fishing rod :D

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 am

Simon Moore wrote:There's also 'Old Sam' from SLM, he'd look good with a remote control in his hand rather than a fishing rod :D

Yes I did look at Sam, but he was too wide and long to fit in this one. I do intend to have a go at a different style to put him in though, it may even work better :roll: we shall see. Tempted to change his head aswell for this application :lol:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 am

Good to see the feedback on this, didnt really think there would be so much interest :) I guess modelling miniatures has more appeal than I thought.

Well, I did have a go at the control panel last night after my initial post. That was the easy part, when it came to fitting a controller in Jon's hands though, I gave up :roll: . Until I can work out a way of doing it, the controller is hidden in his hands :) , just the cable going into them is shown for now :lol: doesnt look too bad as it is, I might even leave it at that.

And for a change, I thought a shot with a Lifelike 0-6-0 might show the adaptability that I was aiming for with this car.

Tonight, I might have a go at fitting a brake. At the moment my thinking is a screw type mounted inside the front of the car, but that could easily change when I come to do it :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 pm

It seems Jon had a change of head or at least change of hats between modelling shoots :lol:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Simon Moore wrote:It seems Jon had a change of head or at least change of hats between modelling shoots :lol:

:lol: Yes, he changed his hat, but his clothes still need a wash :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Just thought I'd post this option for the space starved modeller, a combined coach and driving car.

[img][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Simon009/lackham09Stumpy.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Simon009/lackham08stumpydrivingcar.jpg[/img][/img]

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm

:) Do they really need a door in the side of that to get in and out :) I would have thought the handbrake was more of a trip hazard than stepping over the side.

Seems a little strange to have the driving position at that end of the coach, any idea why that is Simon :?:

Must admit, I am avoiding sit astride vehicles as much as I can, due to the problem of getting/modifying figures to fit. Shame really as they are much more compact and would balance on the narrow track better. That's why they are popular on the narrower gauges, of course :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Seems a little strange to have the driving position at that end of the coach, any idea why that is Simon :?:

I know it's the wrong Simon answering but I know the chaps at 'Ride on Railways' have run trains like that just so that the kiddies can sit right behind the engine.
At a guess it also gives you the advantage of keeping a tab on whether they're waving their arms around or dragging their feet on the ground, something I was guilty of as a child... :oops:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Simon Moore wrote:At a guess it also gives you the advantage of keeping a tab on whether they're waving their arms around or dragging their feet on the ground, something I was guilty of as a child... :oops:

:roll: Should have thought of that one myself, have had to keep an eye on the kids doing that enough times and that was on 2 foot gauge :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Colin Peake wrote:How about using one of the Avalon Line chassis adaptors too to give it less of the narrow gauge body on standard gauge chassis effect?

I did consider that and if it had been to go behind an O-9 or OO9 loco, I would probably have taken that direction. A couple of reasons why I didn't for this though. Firstly, it is slightly wider which though not a big problem, might look a bit odd with a narrower N scale coach behind. The main deciding factor though, was the height, it would have raised it by about 1.5mm, not a lot, but enough of a difference with the figure sat up so high.

Here are the two side by side for comparison.

I'm hoping the mark 2 version when I do a new body for it, will have a bit more of the look of a model, of a model, of a standard gauge wagon to it, if that makes sense :)

Of course the real reason for this must be that you can't bear to take that 08 apart....

Quite the opposite in fact, I need to take it apart, but not found time yet to make a screwdriver small enough to dismantle it. The screws holding the body on are tiny and not the easiest to get at either :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Just another thought to throw into the mix is a 'scale look' riding truck, I know Toad brake vans are quite popular for that, building a slightly overscale version in plasticard would give the chunky plywood look, perhaps with a break handle protruding through the roof in front of the driver. That gives the ride-on rather than ride-in problem with the figure's legs though, perhaps Sam might be bashable to sit on a scale riding truck with his legs astride it?

Or something even more ambitious;
Taken from http://www.abbotsmodeleng.co.uk/

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:32 pm

That's another disadvantage of the new 08 Steve, no open windows.

I used a single strand of flex cable, wrapped it around a piece of florists wire to create a spiral, sprayed it black, poked one end through the open window and the other end into a scrap bit of 1mm thick plasticard.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 pm

:) Well you know how to set a challenge Jon, not me the camera :lol:
No need to poke the cable in through the window on the new loco, they have thoughtfully provided a selection of holes in the buffer beam for the bag full of air hoses that come with it, 6 on each end as far as I can see with the naked eye. They should show a little better on the enlarged photo :wink:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Perfect Steve :D One for the controls, one for air brakes and four for :?:
And you can still return them to standard if so needed 8)
Jon Randall

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 24, 2011 12:54 am

Thought I would bring this thread back to life, rather than start a new one.
One of my recent creations was a small riding car. Though I have yet to build a new loco for it to go behind, it has had a fair amount of use at the back of a short train on my little pizza layout, which is still far from complete.
This drew quite a bit of attention at a recent open day and quite a few puzzled looks :D

So here it is

The inspiration came from a riding car that was shown at Narrow Gauge North a couple of years ago.

I couldnt bring myself to add the foot pegs on the outside, as it doesnt really fit in with the style of my other stock, so the driver/brakeman sits inside this little car.
Many will recognise the body of the wagon as one of my On9 models, which is sat on the slightly chunkier Gnine chassis.
The control panel is made up from odds and ends from the junk lying around on my workbench and the seat from filing up some thick styrene sheet. The seat has to be removeable, in order to get the legs of the modified SLM Sam figure in and there should be a battery hidden underneath, but that seems to have been used for something else. It was a bit wasted, as once the figure is in, it was hidden from view :)
Here are a couple of closer views of the car.

One of these days I will get around to building a loco to go with it, though I quite like it at the tail end of the train :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Gnice Steve, perhaps a longer wire might be needed :?: It looks like there's quite a bit of tension judging by the way he needs both hands to grip :lol:
Gnice texture painted on the seat 8)
Jon Randall

skylon
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Light railways

Postby skylon » Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

That modified figure looks the part. You'd never know comparing the older post where he was still a fisherman!
Thanks,
Sam

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Jon Randall wrote:Gnice Steve, perhaps a longer wire might be needed :?:

:lol: One of these days I will get around to making a proper looking control box to fit in his hands.
Or maybe a whip for when he wants the loco to go faster.

Thanks Sam, I wont say it was easy to modify the figure and the angle of the head is not quite perfect, but it works ok and looks fine while trundling around a layout :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue May 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Looks good Steve 8) Wouldn't have a few more of those "odds and ends" laying around :?: :roll: I could do with a riding car :wink:

Simon.

Return to “GNine”