My 1/32 E adventure

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Thu May 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Your layout is absolutely stunning (idea, ambiance, details), I have no word to describe it. There are a lot of good ideas to pick-up. I will follow your work.

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Frank

Thank you for your words.
It is very stimulating to know other like one´s work. But you must know it better than I do because your Vulcan Iron Works is also an astonishing layout.

Daniel
I am interested in 20" , 18" and 15" railways. specialy the ones related to agriculture. I am also interested in (old) lime stone industry.

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Daniel O. Caso wrote:Frank

Thank you for your words.
It is very stimulating to know other like one´s work. But you must know it better than I do because your Vulcan Iron Works is also an astonishing layout.

Daniel

I 'm happy you appreciate Vulcan and I hope in the future I will be able to reach your skill level.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Love your work Daniel. Outstanding modelling.

Simon.

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Frank & Simon

Thank you both for the kind words but let me unveil the truth: my very only skill is I don't mind the result as long as I enjoy doing what I'm doing.

Normaly satisfaction about something I've done endures just very short because soon a better idea shows up and the desire to give it a try follows as a tender follows the loco.

It is all about joy, not about skills!

One by one, every single thing I've done, I have seen it done much better, but the harmony at what I build is based on joy, not on knowledge.

That is also the reason why I can't keep my nose to one project, for example a building, and go on until it is completted before starting something else.
None of the items in the layout so far is ready yet. I am working on several every day but there is no logical order in that. I just follow the desire to do this or that and enjoy doing it.

Often something goes wrong. I don't care. If I really enjoed to try that will generate what I need to learn.
Probably the most important aspect of my long thread is that it shows I have no problems of doing two , three or more times something as far as it keeps being enjoyable.

Afterwards one can say the complete layout could have been done in 1/4 of the time. But that would mean also 1/4 of the fun. So there is no rush. And,not less important, there will be no judgement, which is natural because who could judge the joy I've had?

If you get this we are already and will always be at the same 'skill' level.

And, last but not least, the thread probes very clearly how important the asistance of all others has been and is still being.

Daniel
I am interested in 20" , 18" and 15" railways. specialy the ones related to agriculture. I am also interested in (old) lime stone industry.

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 am

Well, it has been done some little work at the packing section of the Cooperative.
Several figures will be working there even if none of the interior will be vissible once the roof is installed and the building glued in place. But..who knows!

DSC08511 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08510 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08509 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08502 by d.caso, on Flickr

(For more you can Always go to my thread at the NGRM Online forum)

Daniel

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Postby trac555 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Daniel,

At the beginning of your NGRM thread you indicated that you planned to sell this layout when completed. Is that still your intention, or (after all this fine work) do you now plan to keep it?
Art Farwell

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sat May 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Art

Well, I would love to keep it but that would mean no funds for another layout. It will be for sale without locos or rolling stock by the end of the year or begin 2014. In the mean time I will start building the locos and rolling stock and they will be ad to to the layout and to the price as soon as each piece is ready.
My hope is to sale it by the end of 2014 with at least two 0-4-0 & T , a steam railcar, and enough rolling stock for at least four or five trains.
If things go well may be also a couple of 0-4-0 locos. All the mentioned running under RC.
[The layout is anyway also ready for DC locos.

But it would be nice to be able to do at least one or two shows.
Not that I like the idea of a couple of days standing by the layout endless repeating myself. I have already a deal with John Vogelaar (who at this very moiment is seating beside me spikeing the rails on the harbour bridge track) so he will be eventualy running the layout at exhibitions while I enjoy meeting as many possible of you and walk around seeing what others have built.

After so much work I deserve that!!!

Don´t you think?

:-)

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel O. Caso on Sat May 18, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, here the harbour bridge ready to be installed.
Actually the spiking of the rails was done by my friend John Vogelaar.

DSC08584 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08586 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08588 by d.caso, on Flickr

The weathering of the rails must be retouched but I can do that thanks what I supose must be an unconscious type of sonar. :-)

Daniel

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Postby trac555 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Daniel you certainly do deserve the opportunity to "play with your trains" before you sell them. Out of curiosity, how many layouts have you built over the years?
Art Farwell

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sun May 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Art

Well, when I wrote 'I deserve that' I was meaning to leave the layout in John´s hands and go for a walk arround and meet people and see the rest of the show! :oops:

How many layouts...?

One of the good effects chemotherapy had on me was to make of my memory a kind of elastic, capricious function.

At the moment I can recall a dozen or so but there were more.

All I have kept of all that is a pair of poor photos of one of the last ones.

I still have the main section of what was planed to be a sectional layout. A 2,7m x 0,80m strong framed baseboard. I have removed all the wiring (19 mostly Peco 0n30 and a couple of Peco H0 switches) and the two only structures ever built because got the idea of rebuilding it to a Gn15 layout running under RC and make all points hand operated.
it is now verticaly facing the wall of my workroom waiting for better times to get it's chance to be.

I have also two 1,20m X 0,60m sections of an 0e planed layout and the only module ever built of a long planed, this time1/32 sectional layout, also with only two buildings never completed.
All the other had been sold long ago and the above will go same way if I get the chance and the spirit to complete them.

I've never had a passion for running a layout. For me 99,9 of the pleasure is to build it and the other 1% to sell it so I can start a new project and ebnjoy it's always promissing 99,9%.

What really atract me is the magic at seeing how the very first sketch of a layout is born and follow it until the layout is there, before my nose, on it´s own legs and totaly free of my thoughts.
Isn´t that amazing magic?

Daniel

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby franckcombe » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 am

Daniel O. Caso wrote:Art

I've never had a passion for running a layout. For me 99,9 of the pleasure is to build it and the other 1% to sell it so I can start a new project and enjoy it's always promissing 99,9%.

Daniel

Daniel,

Your answer enjoy me because I have the same mind, I love build it but after I don't enjoy so much running it. I need to start a new fresh project. So I'm not the only one to share this state of mind :wink:

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am

Frank

Cheers!

For mqany years I thought that was just an excuse because I wasn´t able to decently complete wiring. But some years ago I´ve built two layouts and carefully did all the wiring just to probe myself I was able to do it. But didn´t like at all the wiring work and the realissed I don´t learn properly in that area because I am simply not r4eally interested on.
Those two layouts were same as all prtevious, just a day or two fun to ride and then I started to skletch next one with more pleasure.

Of course I don´t think there is any value difference at doing one way or the other. The only trully important point is to go one´s own way.

When the new generation of sound equiped locos came I was fascinated...for half an hour. Then simply discarded it because I see no much sense at refining the performance if still all figures will stay ridiculous rigid and no blade of the trees will be moved by the wind.

But I enjoy as a dog with two tails building things and very specialy painting them, doing landscape, building rolling stock.

Now my eyes are claiming part of the fun is vanishing because doing an effort to see is no fun I am considering bigger scales for a not far future.
In my plan this one was going to be the last 1:32 scale layout, but in the mean time too much too nice things appeared figting each other for the top of the list and mostr of them requiere a space I couldn´t afgford inbigger scales. So, so to see, life wan´s me to do one more 1:32 layout.
I´ve been very Lucky by meeting at the NGRM several modellers whoi are French or have considerable knowledge about French narrow gauge and history. They are an amazing source of information and also responsible for the uncontrolled grow of my future plans list.

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am

After trying to get the market stall´s roofs by vacuum forming (much too thick) styrene I´ve found making them with thick paper deliver a much better image.

The white roof at the second stall is styrene and the one at the foreground is paper.

I also find the darker colour fits much better the scene

DSC08780 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08782 by d.caso, on Flickr

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Wed May 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Well, other than I expected, didn´t complet the street market today.
Instead I made a little progress at one of the trees using the method I have been learning recently.
RThe water must still be modelled and none of the buildings, the boat or the tree are glued in place yet.
The are will be filled with +lots of detail. At the boat a figure will be un-loading regional products helped by another figure before the buuilding´s door. At the foreground will be a couple of kids playing andf may be more

DSC08802 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08801 by d.caso, on Flickr

More tomorrow.

Daniel

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 am

Lovely play of shadows and light in the photos of the boat, Daniel. Great work with the trees, too!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 am

Thank you Bill.

Yes, every scene shows quiet different with the morninbg, day , evening or artifical light.
I supose at a certain point I will start shoting photos wit selected artificial lighting so to get the ´special´spots.

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sat May 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Today I´ll try to get a good mould for the water surface from a piece of glass.

I want it cast in a material that is easy to cut and file because I must cut in it the shapes of the boats hulls so they can pass through sowing their bottom deeper than the water mirror.

here the glass I´ve got with one of the smallest boat castings on it

DSC08968 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC08970 by d.caso, on Flickr

More later.

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sat May 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I forgot to mention

for the photos I´ve laid the glass on a piece of blue cloth and it is it´s structure what you are seeing through the glass.

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 am

I have found an incredibly cute French railcar prototype.
It was meter gauge and two axles so those two things must change. The 2 axles wheelbase would be far too big for the 200mm curves in the layout. I could make the Wirons/axle boxes pivoting but I preffer to make a two boguies version.
And , of cpourse, it must be a bit resized for 16,5mm gauge (what would be +/- 500mm gauge)
Yes, for true finescalers that would be an heresey. I'm sorry for that. BHut I am certainly mnot a finescaler so may make royal use oif my author's rights.
Here the railcar

DSC08943 by d.caso, on Flickr

With it's two front doors at the corners, the metal side section with the warming boiler and the rear balcony will be a beauty!

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 am

Well, getting a plaster casting of the ´waater surface´piece of glass ended in a happy fiasco.

As you will see at the photos here below, also the only dammage to the 380mm X 540mm X only 4mm thick plaster casting was casued at one corner by my impatience to let the pices dry properly in peace.

I tried to till the casting with my fingers from one corner and obvioulsy that went wrong.Then I decided to wait.
A couple of hours later it was dry enough so Y lied a piece of harboard on and turned it up-side-down before removing from the mould.

That went fine so I removed it.

The glass as mould is simply excellent for the tranquile river waters I want for the layout. Everything from the shape of the ripples to their size is perfect.
But there was a mayor problem as consequenc3e of using concentrated dish detergent as demoulder (because I wanted to avoid greasy traces on the casting).
To be sure the plaster mixed with white glue (to reinforce and give some flexibikity to the casting) would reach every cavity, I prepared it with lots of water so was prety liquid wh8ile pouring into the mould.
I should have realised that concentrated detergent and moving water was the best receipt for air bubbles. An so wai it.

Here the photos

DSC09071-001 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC09077 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC09075 by d.caso, on Flickr

So thi is what the detergent caused

DSC09073 by d.caso, on Flickr

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am

I gave a layer of spray paint to see what, apart from the bubble traces, I would be getting from a more Lucky casting

DSC09079 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC09081 by d.caso, on Flickr

´Now I know for sure I like a lot the structure the glass is offering, I´ve ordered a clear acrylic paste and the best possible demoulder for it. Si I am coinfident next try will be good.

So that was the ´bad´side of the experience.

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 am

Now the Lucky side

While seeing those photosw, Alistairq, a fellow modeller at the NGRM Online forum, came up with the ideea: why not to model a muddy low tide river bottom with it?

Simply genial!

I have no room left for such a scene in my current layout but Alistairq´s idea is already in my list for next layout!

I took the casting and sprayed a bit of browns on it, just to see what would I get.
Here the result

DSC09087 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC09088 by d.caso, on Flickr

DSC09090 by d.caso, on Flickr

So you see, a frustrating experience and the asistance of an awake fellow can bring very nice things up!

Daniel

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Daniel,

About glueing all buildings and figures to the board when time for sale, maybe you should wait with that ..

Whoever want's to buy it, might be interested in more than just look and run. If things could be moved
around a bit, I could see a customer would see that as a benefit, and glued down as a pitty .. just a thought.

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Thank you for your imput Henrik.
Things actualy are a bit different than that.

It is right that I intend to sell this layout once completted. But that doesn´t mean I am making it for sale.

The main issue at building it is my own joy. All the rest is second to that.
If I would be tryintg to do good business everything would be diferent andf instead of building for a rare bird as myself I would point to the ´average´ as all successfull companies do. But that would be boring!

Apart from that there is a more technical aspect: most of the detail, which actually makes at least 50% of a layout, can only be done once everything is in place.
That may be different for a layout that won´t tilt, but this one must be stored on it´s side.

Most than all I try not even to think about selling it. Not for a minute. That would spoil a lot.
One day, I asume that will be about the end of next year, the layout will be completed. Then I will see about selling it. But no way would I expose my joy to comercial considerations.

If one wants to do good business should avpoid most of the things I do with so mkuch pleasure.

Just to mention a couple of examples± the harbour bridge and the stratified rock wall.
BHoth of them have been done and totaly re done several times. R°They were o.k. for others but not for me yet. Most than all I would hate to miss the oportunities to sexperiment with new methods and ways of doing things.

Now, proobably the main pleasue°re is to see it is done. i mean seeing that every detail is in place. I won´r sacrifice that for money.

For example: all the (cosmretic) street ligting and electricity wires running from house to house, couldn´t be done until the houses are glued in place.
Same with figures and many more things.
So, no, waiting for a client is not an option.
Anyway, if someone is really intereste to get the layout half way, he-she may come up and say. Then he can pay me an take the layout away. That would mean I´m ready for next layourt. Nothing wrong at that.

:-)

Daniel

Return to “Size doesn't matter”