A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Almond Valley Light Railway

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Although not 15" gauge, some might find this interesting.

Yesterday I took the family down to the Almond Valley Light Railway in Livingston.

The railway is part of a larger site which includes a Shale Oil museum with a loco and a few wagons, childrens play areas with trampolines and go carts, farm animals and a preserved mill.

The railway itself was built as part of the site using mainly ex MoD stock and track although the main loco in use is ex ICI/Nobel explosives. Gauge is 2'6" and the main station would make a nice little layout. The line runs for 500m to a second station consisting of a platform and a run-around loop.

I've uploaded some photos of the station, stock and shale oil museum to photobucket here : http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/backwaterscotland/library/Almond%20Valley%20Light%20Railway

There's more details on the stock on their website here : http://www.almondvalley.co.uk/Railway.html

Andy 8)

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Andy, a super set of photos of a very interesting little railway.

Mick

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Andy,

I'll echo Mick's view - a nice line - it makes me think of a modern Rye and Camber with the coaches looming over the i.c. loco - thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”