Midge Prototype

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Midge Prototype

Postby backwaterscotland » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi Folks,
Does anyone have drawings or photographs of the prototype loco that the Pepper7 midge is based on (or something similar)? I fancy building something a self-propelled truck for my estate railway but want something a little heavier looking than a Hawe.

Thanks

Andy 8)

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Midge Prototype

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 am

Isn't it loosely based on Lister Autocar cargo carrier?

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:55 am

DCRFAN 3 wrote:Isn't it loosely based on Lister Autocar cargo carrier?

Thanks. I've had a search around for that and drawn a blank.

I did find an article in NG&IRM 101 about the Planet 6HP locomotive which is a similar idea and I found the reference from Steve below but drawn a blank on this one as well :
Steve Bennett wrote:Yup, very similar design, but Midge is not based on the Planet, it was inspired by a much earlier loco which was a one off and ran at the Robinsons Jam factory in the mid 1920's.

Andy 8)

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 am

The Midge is I think based on a Planet petrol powered wagon but I can't find a picture. The original had a tipper body I think. There is more information in one of the issues of Narrow Gauge and Industrial magazine I am sure but I don't have that information to hand.

You might like to consider this:
http://www.geocities.ws/haweuk/museum.html

It is called a HAWE and is a Dutch electric trolley used in the horticultural industry. They were mostly (I think) 70cm gauge but don't let that bother you. As they are of relatively recently build, quite a lot of them have been preserved. In fact I drove one at Valkenburg museum when I was there a few years ago. There is also an unpowered version without the driving platform which is used as a trailer.

Chris

Return to “Prototype Prattles”