(F) Prototypes I found browsing

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

(F) Prototypes I found browsing

Postby chris69 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi guys,
I came across some great prototypes that have "model" written all over.
Be advised that most of them run on 600 / 700 / 750 mm gauge but their character is just too good.

Enjoy

Chris

It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Very similar Ruston locomotives to the Deutz's, shown in two of the pictures, ran on 18 inch gauge in the UK. I have always assumed that they could be regauged to 15 inch as that model of Ruston had a different type of gearbox and drive to the later types which cannot be regauged below 18 inches without substantial rebuilding.

Chris

commerlad
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge Obviously

Postby commerlad » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:54 pm

For a whole host of others; use the link below and type in battery loco in the search box (or whatever else takes your fancy).

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/photos-mines-quarries/
Sometimes I think laterally, Then I have to get up.

Mark in UK

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Very similar Ruston locomotives to the Deutzs, shown in two of the pictures, ran on 18 inch gauge in the UK. I have always assumed that they could be regauged to 15 inch as that model of Ruston had a different type of gearbox and drive to the later types which cannot be regauged below 18 inches without substantial rebuilding.

Well both could definately go down to 16"/40cm gauge, as British Insulated Cables in Warrington operated both a Deutz CXH (?) and Ruston ZLH.

Glad this came up, it reminded me of where there were sub 18" gauge Rustons, which had been bugging me since the subject came up a few weeks ago.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Return to “Prototype Prattles”