(F) Heywood stock -- unique views?

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Chris Cardinal

(F) Heywood stock -- unique views?

Postby Chris Cardinal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 am

Hi all. As the title suggests, I am looking for some photos of the (replica) Heywood stock. Not ordinary photos mind you, but photos showing the undersides and insides, tenon joints, etc. Did anyone have a camera handy while they were being built? I'd like to study their assembly for some possible live steam models I am considering.

Thanks

Chris

W P Rayner
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Minimum Gauge Railways, Model-making, Bike-building

Postby W P Rayner » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Good luck with the search Chris. I've been looking for the same kind of photos for years with no luck. Either they don't exist or those who have them aren't coming forward and sharing.

Mike Decker's drawings are the best source of info I've found yet. He has them available on CD at Deckers Trains. He and I are currently working together on new CD's combining his drawings and my 3D renderings and interactive files. Hope to have the first CD on the four-wheel Heywood Brake Van available early in 2011.
W P Rayner

Creativity begins at the edge of your comfort zone...
http://www.roughboy.net

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:28 am

I guess our best hope is Jez as he drives on the Perrygrove. Since he has just moved house don't know if he has had much time to check out the Gnatterbox in recent days.

cheers

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow & minimum gauge

Postby Jez kirkwood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi Chris, Chris and Paul
Just got the email - haven't had much time to look in here lately with moving/Christmas etc.
I haven't seen any constuction photos but James Waterfield might have some.
If you're not in too much of a hurry then send me a list of what you want and I'll crawl around with a camera next time I'm over there.

Cheers

Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Chris Cardinal

Postby Chris Cardinal » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for the kind offer Jez. I'll take photos of whatever you are willing to get. Mostly underside views, and the corners and insides where you can see how the different parts form joints and come together.

Cheers,

Chris

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: full size minimum gauge

Postby jameswaterfield » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:36 pm

A few for Chris. My project for the hols is to build a Duffield Bank Railway 2 seater carriage. I attach a few pics of my version and the original. I'm also on with a small 2 x 4 early top wagon. These will form the basis of a train to go with my Effie.

James Waterfield

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

... and here's a few of the framing of the Eaton saloon under repair; note the roof propped aginast the wall. The whole thing had to be pulled to bits, repaired as necessary and then re-assembled. I really enjoyed it!

James Waterfield

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Great picture. Now I understand exactly how the springs worked! :P :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Progress so far. I think you can see this wagon has the early DBR axleboxes, one piece cast iron, no springing.

And here is the standard DBR axlebox as also used at Eaton. You can see the rubber pad which acts as a crude spring on top of the axlebox. The cover with the lettering on slides up so you can oil the sump of the axlebox and at the bottom is the single bolt that holds everyting together

James Waterfield

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm

DBR carriage as of today:

James Waterfield

Chris Cardinal

Postby Chris Cardinal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:11 am

James, what is your source for couplers, journals, etc? Are you casting your own bits, using modern equivalents, or is there a secret stash of vintage goodness?

Thanks

Chris

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 pm

I have foundry patterns for all the stuff, either copied or moulded from original stuff in our collection. To give you some idea of cost, a buffer and coupling hook (2 castings) come in around the £100 mark. The one piece axleboxes are about £30 each. The timber I use is good quality reclaimed canadian pitch pine. The wheels are secondhand Hudson ones of the right diameter and number of holes to suit, machined down to 15" gauge sizes.This little carriage will cost about £600 in materials. The bigger carriages are dearer as I use a Heywood wheel pattern and the 3 piece axle box horn guides pattern as shown in an earlier post on this thread

James
James Waterfield

Chris Cardinal

Postby Chris Cardinal » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I have foundry patterns for all the stuff, either copied or moulded from original stuff in our collection.

Hi James. Does this mean I can send you Pounds Sterling and receive parts iron in return? :P

cheers,

Chris

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:58 pm

It may be Mike can help with originals for patterns? If you are building full size he has an original Eaton wheel and axlebox I think. You could use the wheel to make a resin copy for a foundry pattern.

I think shipping castings from here would be expensive but if you can organise the shipping and customs duty etc. ...
James Waterfield

Chris Cardinal

Postby Chris Cardinal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 am

I think shipping castings from here would be expensive but if you can organise the shipping and customs duty etc.

I just might take you up on that James. Most likely for the couplers. We shall see how my work goes, as I do take great pleasure in creating foundry patterns.

Please keep posting photos of your progress!

Cheers,

Chris

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Duffield Bank 2 seater replica of c 1875 now finished. Commisioned at Perrygrove last weekend.

Seen in the train are David Nelson, railway manager, driving Ursula, Michael and Frances Crofts, the owners of Perrygrove in the new carriage (the sunshade is in the garden behind, not fixed to the car) and Richard Pennington looking bored in the Eaton wagon. The vehicle behind Ursula is the Duffield Bank dynamometer carriage.
James Waterfield

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:41 pm

James,

All looks delightful - and a nice sunny day to boot.

I couldn't make that weekend but perhaps may get down for the September Vintage Trains Afternoon. I assume that the 'new' coach will be there then?

And yourself too?

cheers

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jameswaterfield » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 pm

yes and yes! See you then
James Waterfield

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am

That is an exquisite model James, almost looks real :wink:
Seriously, it is beautiful workmanship as expected from your skilled hands. A great addition to the collection.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow & minimum gauge

Postby Jez kirkwood » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:41 pm

DCRfan wrote:Great picture. Now I understand exactly how the springs worked. :P :lol:

I rode in it last weekend and now understand exactly how the springs work ... :D
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Return to “Prototype Prattles”