(F) Southend Pier Railway

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

(F) Southend Pier Railway

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm

In 2005 I posted details of the fire that destroyed the pier head including the Station.

I've been back since but not until a couple of days back did I visit with camera now that the new station is complete (finished September 2009).

However the pier is still not complete (will it ever be so) there's nothing at the end apart from a tatty caff and the Lifeboat house/shop.

It was further damaged on September 6th when a barge crashed into the structure:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14817485

It's now only possible to reach Pier end by means of the railway, walkers are halted at a barrier about a mile offshore as the repairs are still in progress.

My photos show some of the construction which seems to involve cantilevering the new section of walkway off the existing piles rather than sinking new ones.

The new section would appear to be some 2' higher than the existing walkway involving slopes either side? Time will tell.

Pier Head platform showing damage to walkway on left.

Damaged walkway as seen from train.

Drunken Station Awnings.

Buffer and Pan to catch engine nasties!

Train arrival.

Entering station.

Southend shoreline from pierhead.

It's somewhat of a tradition on Boxing Day for many locals to walk along the pier and come back by train or vice-versa depending upon the wind direction.

I was unaware that it was impossible to walk to the end when I visited earlier this week and I guess many others will be equally ignorant and thus disappointed on the day. :cry:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Looking at that picture of train/tram, just wondering what the connection between Southend and John Betjeman is. He is more associated with my old part of the country, namely Metroland.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:32 am

G'day Gerry

Thanks for posting those photos.
I can, just, remember actually travelling on the train in the long lost past.
Cannot remember any details, except that it seemed to be a very long ride, as it was over half a century ago !
But it did leave an impression.

One of the future projects that I have in mind is an 'O' scale pier railway....(well, I already have one in 'N').....and I already have a pile of 'bits' ready to go.
Your photos might be just the thing to 'buck me up'.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:44 am

Hi Gerry,
Thanks for those pictures. I took my father to see the pier back in August, and we were able to walk all the way out then, but they were just in the process of putting up the scaffolding. It was the 3rd time I've been (walk out/train back).... I'm still waiting for the promised refurbished 1950's train. Do you have any info./news about that?
Cheers.
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:48 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:Looking at that picture of train/tram, just wondering what the connection between Southend and John Betjeman is. He is more associated with my old part of the country, namely Metroland.

Easy Simon:

It was Sir John Betjeman who said "The Pier is Southend, Southend is the Pier", and he certainly had a point!
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge modelling

Postby Igor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

MrPlantpot wrote:I'm still waiting for the promised refurbished 1950's train.

The railway was 3ft 6in gauge in the 1950s, and it's 3ft now, so the 1950s trains would have to be regauged. Also they ran off a 3rd rail, and the modern railwy uses diesel power (and one BE railcar). Saying that, I read somewhere about 3ft 6in trains on static display and perhaps running on a proposed railway along the seafront.

Return to “Prototype Prattles”