Gn15 Society and/or marketing

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Gn15 Society and/or marketing

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:09 am

One reason I suggested a relaunch was that the O scalers had just put out a new handbook for minimum gauge but obviously geared to O9. Now this forum has been successfully moved, we can start to think about the future of gn15.
I have been looking at my APA box modules, and was considering modifying them into 1/35th scale, but I have enough other modules in 1/35th scale, so I will store them. I really should look at some new stock though, and after being mainly building WW1 models over last couple of years I need a change. I am also working on several other modelling projects.
Got my old xmas pizza layout out, to put in workshop window display. Amazingly after a bit of a clean, some graphite and oil and my card bodies centre cab Lima powered loco and coach happily trundled round the layout. The snow has got a bit dirty, so might add another sprinkling.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Re: Heywood Society would like help

Postby martin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:One reason I suggested a relaunch was that the O scalers had just put out a new handbook for minimum gauge but obviously geared to O9. Now this forum has been successfully moved, we can start to think about the future of gn15.

I do think that since we lost the GN15.info home site and loosing Carl have had a huge impact upon Gn15. I'm still not sure that any kind of formal Gn15 society would be any fun but maybe some as a forum we could somehow regain some focus and encourage those that can get out there and exhibit to do so?

A new challenge using the same principles as previous challenges (small footprints, low cost, feasible to complete within a set time limit) with perhaps a view to exhibit may be a good idea?
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Re: Heywood Society would like help

Postby tebee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:17 am

I am work ( very slowly!) on getting the main site back functioning as well as fixing the photo hosting, but I'm constrained by not having enough of me to catch up on my business work, not to mention the list of jobs my wife keeps giving me to do round the house, to do much here in the short term. I will get them back in time, though I'm afraid I can't do anything about Carl.

The reason a Gn15 society has been mooted recently, besides possibly giving presence at exhibitions and letting more people know the scale exists, is to take ownership of the domains on which this forum runs so we are not relying on one person. At the moment if Emrys drops dead we would probably lose gn15.info when it runs out in July. It's no use just transferring it to me as I'm about the same ages as Emrys and probably in poorer health - that's just moving a single point of failure.

I certainly don't think we need a Society with a vast committee structure and expensive dues - indeed I think in this day and age it should be possible to run one without the membership having to pay fees to join, given that the major expense in most societies is posting out the magazine. If we keep everything online it should be possible manage on just occasional donations.

Which reminds me, one of the jobs that's now 'done is re-setting up the donations@Gn15.info account. If anyone would like to test this for me, feel free!

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Gn15 Society and/or marketing

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 pm

That's the trouble with threads, especially when a railway is involved, they get onto different tracks :lol:

Anyway as for a discussion about constitutions etc, I personally prefer the informal approach, as constitutions can go wrong and stab you in the back. As for the reasons for slow down of interest in Gn15 and this forum(hopefully will pick up now), has been a few incidents that I won't go into and are best forgotten. Lets think positive, as negativity destroys everything around it.
Working towards some type of event in 2016 is a good idea, but don't forget next year is centenary of another 15in gauge railway, and I am surprised I had not heard anything about events yet. It makes a change from the other big centenary at the moment, which is why I fancy a change of project.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

Postby johna » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:10 pm

I have been a member here since 2003 and only now have a layout to show. I comissioned someone to build most of it for me but I still need to complete it. It will be available for exhibitions next year. A lot of folk have disappeared from the forum but I do see their names on other groups so maybe a spot of marketing would encourage them to come back. With Steve Bennett kits not available there is a void in the market for someone to produce resin kits . I don't have the skill myself but maybe there is someone out there who could.

If we became a society how many members would join? I was a secretary of a small computer user group many years ago and we always struggled to get members. I hope we can continue and I hope I can help in some way.

John

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Newbie opinion follows:

I'm new at model making, but not at making things. I don't have much use for 'societies' or even 'clubs' since I live in a remote area with zero chance of attending a show or even club meeting. But... I enjoy the hobby very much. I have settled on Gn15 and G (45mm gauge) modeled in 1:24ish for several reasons. Space to build things is a major reason. But, I like looking at any scale of models. It seems that so many people worry about what scale something is in. If it is well done, it looks 'real' and size doesn't matter. I watch a few layouts that I like very much and none of them are in Gn15 right now. But it matters not! The layout and models are what matters.
Anyway, I hope to see this forum continue. I'm new to the game, but this site is what introduced me to a size of model I can live with. I'll do what I can to help.
Ken

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I believe we have already got our club/society in the GnATTERbox. 8)

What is holding me back from having a GN15 layout is the same reasons that I don't have any other scale layouts - my ineptitude to make things! :lol:

So, for me, micro layout(s) are the only way I'll get anything running. I love the GN15 concept, & hope to one day have a small layout, in the mean time, I am here reading about & looking at your models, so thanks to all for posting.

Long live the GnATTERbox.
Just Playing Trains!

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm late to this one, and have read the previous posts with some interest.

I agree with fatmac, we already have quite the community and (in my opinion) all we need of a club / society here in the GnATTERbox. We appear to be scattered throughout the world, (although I see there is another Gn15-er here in Belfast :D :D ).

I've been involved in various model railway clubs and societies down the years, and immediately felt more at home here than anywhere on the fateful Sunday evening when I discovered this place.

Gno-one counts the rivets, takes the p**s out of someones elses pride and joy, or pulls out another persons work to redo it to their "standard". None of these things happened to me, but I witnessed them, and was sorry I did. Model railways are supposed to be fun.

Gn15 and GNine (yes, I am a bit mad) will always be niche scales, and for that reason I don't think that a formal society or club is needed. Odd people (please don't take offence, being odd is a good thing :shock: ) who make and appreciate odd models will always find each other, and this seems to be the place to gather.

All that said, if the GnATTERbox should ever need funds to cover hosting or bandwidth or the like, I'd be more than happy to contribute, and don't need a treasurer or audited accounts to show where my 6d went.

I'll shut up now.
"Because I Can"

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:52 am

I don't think we are 'odd people', maybe 'eccentric', we certainly prefer something different to the 'run of the mill' railway modeller. :D
8)

Edit: I also have some Hornby Clockwork 0 gauge tinplate trains..... :wink:
Just Playing Trains!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:44 am

As a long time member who has drifted away several times I must admit I always drift back to this group as we all have a similar low key approach to modelling and there are very very few big egos or arguments unlike many real life clubs and other chat groups I'm on. This is our club and society.

As to a constitution I would say no need but then I see an admission like this

fatmac wrote:
Edit: I also have some Hornby Clockwork 0 gauge tinplate trains..... :wink:

Perhaps we should have some rules which allow flogging in certain cases :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 am

when I first started this thread, there as a bit of uncertainty concerning the forum and Gn15, but since Tom has in effect relaunched the forum, there has been a lot more interest and activity. Lets hope that continues.
Hopefully projects like the 19x15 challenge will not wither and get some outside attention. The leaflet needs to be reactivated, and be available at exhibitions.
Apart from that keeping the whole thing informal is best way forward.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Looking at the Youtube channels or at exipibitions in France, Netherlands or Germany, there seems no lack of Gn15 layouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzCOcgTgSUo&list=PLfS4fq6IOFGFMiKsap6JG3-jMKQUBgw4n

Many of those builders I have never seen at the Gnatterbox. Actualy, browsing through the pages of Gnatterbox, I do miss quite many former contributors.

Have Fun

Juergen

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 am

Same here Juergen although a few pop in now and again.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Return to “Blether”