Simple(low cost) auto control wanted

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Simple(low cost) auto control wanted

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 am

I have used diode controlled auto shuttles for many years. I am planning a small circular layout with a passing loop. I will wire the passing loop with diodes so when power is reversed train will stop and other train move off in opposite direction. The points are sprung so no need to set those .
Now I have done the above before but had manual control. Simple by flicking double pole switch the trains switch, but I want to automate this.
The simplest way I think is using reed switches, but most of the systems I have seen have built in slow down etc which I don't need and make it more complex and more expensive. All the reed switches need to do is activate a double pole switch to reverse power, instantly.
Is there a simple way to wire this up.or unit to buy why just does this?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Simple(low cost) auto control wanted

Postby Simon » Sat May 02, 2015 3:46 pm

I was hoping for a reply to this as it's something that I'm interested in trying but I'm useless with lectrics.

The way I thought of doing it is setting the trains so that they run in opposite directions fir the same controller input, reed switch under each track in the passing loop that will only be fired when the whole train is in the loop: train comes in, reed switch is 'flicked' which in turn fires both point motors via a capacitor, thus the power is cut to the incoming train and sent to the other one which then leaves in the opposite direction. When second train comes in it 'flicks' its own reed which fires the two point motors the opposite way to let the first train out again. Thus the power from the controller is live and in the same direction all of the time.

Whether it would work or not - I've no idea because, as I said, I'm useless with lectrics.

I did do some thing similar a while back but rather than reed switches I used two bits of phosphor bronze stuck up out of the track. A tab on the train hit the phosphor bronze, making a contact between the two bits which fired the point motors, and the momentum of the train took it past the phosphor bronze bits before it stopped, thus they acted as passing contact switches.

But I should re-iterate, I'm useless with lectrics and I give my account her not as an answer that anyone else should try (don't blame me if you set fire to your layout) but just to try to kick start the thread :D

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Simple(low cost) auto control wanted

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat May 02, 2015 5:03 pm

I think I have come up with a simple way.
Getting the power to reverse is no problem. Fitting 2 single pole switches(SPDT) to one Peco point motor will do this. The tricky part is inserting a switch to cut power to point motor once it has moved, and then reset it before its next trip. To safe guard the point motor another SPDP swich is added , and the power to each side of the point motor is fed through this switch. When the point motor moves, it cuts the power to that end of the point motor, and sets it to the other end.
Now 2 switches are inserted at each end of each loop. These could be reed switches, but I have been advised that micro switches might be more reliable(no magnets). The switches will be inline with either side of the SDPT connected to the point motor. When train hits switch, the switch goes live, and as the SDPT switch is also live on that side and the point motor moves across , cutting its power as it goes. The other train can then start up, and as it moves the switch under it goes dead, cutting power to point motor on that side. When this train comes back and trip the switch the whole cycle continues.
If for any reason one train fails to start, the point motor on that side being live will move back, triggering power to the other line, so if one train fails to start the other train continues uninterupted.
The micro switches are a bit more visible, but could be disguised. It does mean they only work in one direction, but that is the intention anyway.
Difficult to describe. I have it written down and will post the sequence later.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Blether”