LEGO takes on minimum gauge

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

LEGO takes on minimum gauge

Postby Moronguhl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am

Spotted this in the shops the other day:

http://city.lego.com/en-us/products/mining/4204

Check out the little narrow gauge mining train on the left hand side:

http://www.ordertoys.co.uk/wp-content/u ... _train.jpg

Is this the first LEGO narrow gauge train ever in a commercial set? Looking pretty good either way!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 am

Nice set, and a nice mine train 8)

Interesting that it uses the old style rail that I remember playing with several decades ago (it was blue then). Good stuff Lego :oops: :lol:
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 am

G'day
Bet James May would be in his element ----- Lego and 'toy trains' ----could even be the start of a new TV series ?
Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Nige
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Emett

Postby Nige » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

My 7 year old son, James, got this mine set from 'Father Christmas' and I can concur that it is rather good. Apart from the train, it's also got a rather snazzy crane and conveyor belt which are just the job for moving his rather large collection of 'Trash Pack' figures around.

Only slight problem was when wife asked 'why has James got this, he didn't put it on his Christmas list'. Decided to come clean and admit that it looked like the sort of set that I'd enjoy playing with him!
Nigel

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 am

Nige wrote:Only slight problem was when wife asked 'why has James got this, he didn't put it on his Christmas list'. Decided to come clean and admit that it looked like the sort of set that I'd enjoy playing with him!
Aww :lol:
LEGO make the coolest stuff.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Re: LEGO takes on minimum gauge

Postby AndyA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Moronguhl wrote:Spotted this in the shops the other day:

Is this the first LEGO narrow gauge train ever in a commercial set? Looking pretty good either way!

Nope, Indiana Jones had one, and I think Batman as well. I seem to remember someone doing a creditable 'Polar Bear' on one of the chassis. Problem I've always had is that it's an awful lot to pay if you just want the train.:)

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm

is it mororized? Seem to remember Lego used to do a motor chassis. Unfortunately track gauge did not match others, but did manage to stretch to 45mm gauge, just.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nige
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Emett

Postby Nige » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:is it mororized? Seem to remember Lego used to do a motor chassis. Unfortunately track gauge did not match others, but did manage to stretch to 45mm gauge, just.

Sadly, not motorised. The Lego motor chassis did have a choice of train or tyred wheels - the train wheels fitted a gauge of 6 studs (i.e. four studs between the rails plus the two that the rails are attached to). The locomotive in this set has a gauge of four studs.
Nigel

Return to “Blether”