SURVEY - A few questions about model kits

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Ok, here we go. :?

As part of my Applied Business coursework I have to complete some Market Research about a market niche. :arrow:

I decided to do my market research survey about model kits, focusing on model railway kits for Gn15 and thereabouts. :arrow:

Would members be willing to answer a few questions on their opinions about model kits for the survey? :?:

All data will be recorded anonymously with no names, usernames, or any other details of the respondents included. Said data will be used only for the purposes of completing said coursework, and will not be passed on to anyone else or used for any other purpose.

Here are the ten questions:

A few questions about model kits and bits

Note 1: If you scratchbuild everything, please answer the questions anyway as not all of them refer specifically to kits.

Note 2: If your layout/models contain no commercial model railway product at all, then I would be very interested to know how you managed it.

Note 3: If you have no opinion on a question, it’s better to skip the question than make up an answer.

One. If you had a choice of all the following types of kit for the same model (say; a wagon or a building), which one would you choose?
1. Etched brass.
2. Resin castings.
3. 3D printings.
4. Plastic mouldings.
5. Laser-cut timber.
6. Printed card and wood bits.
7. Whitemetal castings.
8. Mix of etched brass and whitemetal.
9. Mix of etched brass and resin.
10. Mix of etched brass, resin and whitemetal.
11. Mix of resin and whitemetal.

Two. Do you make more use of complete kits to make a complete model or of individual commercially-made components as part of a scratchbuilt model?

Three. Name any particular model kits/bits/parts you would like to see made available in Gn15 or another scale. Please include the entire wish list if possible.

Four. Which of these statements about kits that need parts from another manufacturer to complete them (such as a loco kit needing another manufacturer’s chassis) do you think apply to you?
1. I have no problems getting the other parts.
2. I find that the other parts are often difficult to get.
3. I prefer being able to buy the extra parts along with the kit from the same supplier.
4. I prefer buying the extra parts separately.
5. I usually use the recommended extra parts.
6. I usually use different extra parts to those recommended.

Five. Do you find instructions helpful with most kits?

Six. Which of these statements are closest to your opinion of detailing of kits:
1. I like kits with lots of detail included because they make more realistic models/for some other reason.
2. I am not concerned about how detailed a kit is because I find that the overall impression of the model is more important.
3. I am not concerned about how detailed a kit is because I prefer to make up the details myself using bits from the scrap box, etc.
4. I am not fond of heavily detailing models because details tend to break or fall off.
5. I prefer separately fitted detailing.
6. I prefer integrally moulded/printed/etched detailing.
7. I prefer a plain model kit to which I can add my own details.

Seven. Which of these statements is closest to your opinion of the current pricing of most Gn15 rolling stock kits:
1. They are very cheap.
2. They are cheap.
3. The price is right.
4. They are expensive.
5. They are overpriced.

Eight. Which of these statements is closest to your opinion of the current pricing of most scenic and detailing components and other small ‘bits and bobs’:
1. They are very cheap.
2. They are cheap.
3. The price is right.
4. They are expensive.
5. They are overpriced.

Nine. What is the most common problem you encounter when building kits?

Ten. Which of these statements best matches your opinion on finish of kit parts?
1. The parts need to all be crisply finished with clear detailing and no flash/moulding marks/pips.
2. I don`t mind having to clean up a bit of flash/moulding/pips, but the detailing must be crisp and clear.
3. I don’t mind having to clean up flash/moulding/pips and the details.
4. I don’t mind having to do a thorough clean-up of flash/moulding/pips and the details.

Churz (Bristle for cheers)

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Not sure if you wanted replies via PM or on here, but nothing to hide so....(but bear in mind I've only just started in Gn15)

1. 8
2. Yes
3. a better motion for the hornby 0-4-0 smokey j. Reduced gearing for the same. Cheap domes and chimneys.
4. n/a
5. Yes
6. 1
7. 4
8. 4
9. Sourcing a chassis that meets my requirements
10. 2

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

One. If you had a choice of all the following types of kit for the same model (say; a wagon or a building), which one would you choose?
2. Resin castings. or 4. Plastic mouldings.

Two. Do you make more use of complete kits to make a complete model or of individual commercially-made components as part of a scratchbuilt model?
The latter, but it's usually by destroying cheap toys instead of purpose made parts

Three. Name any particular model kits/bits/parts you would like to see made available in Gn15 or another scale. Please include the entire wish list if possible.
No answer

Four. Which of these statements about kits that need parts from another manufacturer to complete them (such as a loco kit needing another manufacturer’s chassis) do you think apply to you?

Five. Do you find instructions helpful with most kits?
Only if I bother to read them, but the sheet of paper is useful for keeping glue off the kitchen table.

Six. Which of these statements are closest to your opinion of detailing of kits:
4. I am not fond of heavily detailing models because details tend to break or fall off.

Seven. Which of these statements is closest to your opinion of the current pricing of most Gn15 rolling stock kits:
No answer

Eight. Which of these statements is closest to your opinion of the current pricing of most scenic and detailing components and other small ‘bits and bobs’:
No answer

Painting the completed model (and adding decals if applicable)

Ten. Which of these statements best matches your opinion on finish of kit parts?
2. I don`t mind having to clean up a bit of flash/moulding/pips, but the detailing must be crisp and clear.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Heres my two pence worth.

One: locos, Etched /Resin / White metal. Buildings; Wood with plastic detail. Wagons, wood /resin or moulded plastic. Coaches: No comment.

Two: would prefer to use detail components.

Three: Small Steam Locos.

Four: I would use detail parts from variety of sources, including scratch built. I prefer to scratch build chassis

Five: some times useful as a guide. (But then I've not built many kits recently..)

Six: I prefer separately fitted detailing.

Seven: The price is right.

Eight: No comment.

Nine: Lack of time!

Ten: I don`t mind having to clean up a bit of flash/moulding/pips, but the detailing must be crisp and clear
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 pm

1. Mix of resin and whitemetal.

2. individual commercially-made components

3. "Katie" or "Ursula"

4. I have no problems getting the other parts.

5. Yes

6. I prefer separately fitted detailing.

7. The price is right.

8. The price is right.

9. Finishing them as intended; due to making my own mods.

10. I don’t mind having to do a thorough clean-up of flash/moulding/pips and the details.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 pm

One: 2 resin castings
Two: Complete kits
Three: Coaches
Four: 4
Five: Yes
Six: 1
Seven: 3
Eight: 3
Nine: Poor fit of parts
Ten: 2

Cheers
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 am

G'day Waterley Shunter
Glad to be of help.......

One
10 for locos
9 for rolling stock
5 for buildings

Two
Normally the former

Three
Haywood's engines both in Gn15 & 0n9

Four
3 because then I should get the correct chassis/model rather than an incorrect version that doesn't fit !

Five
I love instructions --- especially those teach, like the Airfix ones of old !

Six
5 because it is then easy to personalise the model.

Seven
3 Although the cost is not 'cheap' the quality is usually very high for the price and you don't need a lot.

Eight
4 Although the quality is there you need such a lot of 'bits' to fill a scene it can very quickly become expensive.

Nine
Personal injury ---- my fingers do not mix well with superglue or hot soldering irons !

Ten
4 As it makes me feel that I have actually done something towards finishing the model. (This is assuming that the castings are straight and true even if in need of a clean-up ! )

I hope that this has helped you towards you getting a good mark for your coursework.
Have a good day
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Re: SURVEY - A few questions about model kits

Postby AndyA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 am

One. Resin for locomotives, laser-cut timber for the rest, if I could afford/justify it.

Two. I'll use whatever I can get my hands on, because making stuff absolutely from scratch isn't my strong suit:), but there really aren't a lot of kits out there anywhere close to what I want.

Three... Please include the entire wish list if possible. The entire wish list would go on forever. But in truth most of what I'd like is already out there: the problem is affordability, or rather being able to justify the outlay when compared with other things that happen in life. I'm looking at the stuff on the shelves to my left, and two things would have made life easier.

A decent-running 0-4-0 chassis in 16.5mm gauge at a price where I could justify buying new in order to butcher it knowing that I'll probably wreck at least 50% of what I buy, rater than bidding at random on ebay.

...and 1:24ish figure kits in styrene at maybe 25% higher price than their 1:35 counterparts. One can buy the cheap Chinese knock-offs of the Preiser figures, but I'd prefer kits and I'd prefer not to be supporting copyright infringers.

Four.

2. I find that the other parts are often difficult to get.
3. I prefer being able to buy the extra parts along with the kit from the same supplier.

Addition. Please include at least one extra set of the tiny bits, or make them in a colour that shows up against our carpets.

Five. I can't find a relevant smiley, but I'm used to the problem because I work in IT. I swear that there's a place in Portugal that uses people to translate from Malay to English who don't speak either language. And the Malay instructions are first written by someone with four arms, perfect vision and dexterity that would make them a first violin for the Boston Phil.

Six.

3. I am not concerned about how detailed a kit is because I prefer to make up the details myself using bits from the scrap box, etc.
4a. I do detail my models but still ...the details tend to break or fall off.
7. I prefer a plain model kit to which I can add my own details.

Seven.

3. The price is right.
4. They are expensive.

I find it hard to justify buying as much stuff as I'd like, but the manufacturers are selling into a niche market and have to earn enough to eat.

Eight.

2. They are cheap.

That's because I don't use expensive stuff.

I break things. Fortunately Gn15 is a fairly small community and if I've bought from that community an email accompanied by an offer of PayPal usually elicits a replacement.

Ten.

4. I don’t mind having to do a thorough clean-up of flash/moulding/pips and the details.

Since I'm liable to mess stuff up anyway, I'm really not too bothered about the extra effort. Overall finish from 3D print stuff is an issue, however.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Thanks

Postby WaterleyShunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks very much for all your responses, they are really helpful. :D 8)

If anyone else is reading this then please contribute also.

Churz,

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Survey

Postby Bilco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 pm

One - Resin & whitemetal

Two - Bits of kits, commercially made parts plus plasticard

Three - Hudson skip frames, Hudson axleboxes

Four - Not applicable

Five - As a last resort when things go horribly wrong

Six - 1 - because I can use the bits for other models

Seven - 3

Eight - 3 to 4

Nine - Trying to work out what the designer intended without reading the instructions

Ten - 2
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:00 pm

1. Etched brass. - only if forced by no alternative
2. Resin castings. - yes
3. 3D printings. possibly - no experience but reviews of the nylon material is off putting
4. Plastic mouldings. - yes
5. Laser-cut timber. -yes
6. Printed card and wood bits. - yes or even card alone.
7. Whitemetal castings. - yes
8. Mix of etched brass and whitemetal. - only if forced (last restort)
9. Mix of etched brass and resin - no
10. Mix of etched brass, resin and whitemetal. - no
11. Mix of resin and whitemetal. - yes

Two. Do you make more use of complete kits to make a complete model or of individual commercially-made components as part of a scratchbuilt model? - use whatever there is.

Three. Name any particular model kits/bits/parts you would like to see made available in Gn15 or another scale. Please include the entire wish list if possible. - the one thing definately not readily available for modellers is r-t-r chassis of outside frame steam locomotives and would be on my wish list.

2. I find that the other parts are often difficult to get. yes = unobtainable chassis

Five. Do you find instructions helpful with most kits? - variable from good to useless. The most annoying is when they use technical terms you don't know.

1. I like kits with lots of detail included because they make more realistic models/for some other reason. (Closest answer)
2. I am not concerned about how detailed a kit is because I find that the overall impression of the model is more important. (also relevent)

- not currently modelling in GN15 as I do 09 so can't truly say but the resin kits from Mike Goodwin seem a decent price.

3. The price is right.

Nine. What is the most common problem you encounter when building kits? -
- over complexity/etched brass
- painting the finished item

1. The parts need to all be crisply finished with clear detailing and no flash/moulding marks/pips. - desireable
2. I don`t mind having to clean up a bit of flash/moulding/pips, but the detailing must be crisp and clear. - acceptable
3. I don’t mind having to clean up flash/moulding/pips and the details. - acceptable
4. I don’t mind having to do a thorough clean-up of flash/moulding/pips and the details. - moving into unacceptable quality
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Daffyd

1. 2
2. Complete kits to build complete model (augmented with scratch-built or scrap box items for individuality)
3. More (as in an expanded range of...) realistic figures in SLM range. More reasonably priced detail bits, Ford T style loco (both full cab and open versions) based on on 2ft gauge NZ Public works locos.
4. 3
5. If they exist, occasionally.
6. 1
7. 3
8. 4
9. N/A as in no real problems
10. 2
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Return to “Blether”