USA Gn15 modelers...

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Larry Gant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 and other narrow gauge scales. Also urban modeling in HO standard gauge.

USA Gn15 modelers...

Postby Larry Gant » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 am

:?: Where do USA Gn15 modelers display their creations.
We don't seem to have the opportunities that our overseas cousins have.
I may be the only person in my area interested in Gn15 or 18 or 2' gauge for that matter. HO scale is king here in the Black Hills area.
Larry Gant... I keep guessing, hoping for a correct answer once in a while.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 am

My stuff mostly gets 'displayed' here. Our little bitty Missouri county seat farm burg of 8200 or so, hosts about a 3 year old model RR club and in time I will bring some Gn15 and some On30 there but for now my resources and energy are going in to the HO modular layout and some G things which allow for more me to have more interaction with the rest of the members.
:arrow:
Or, in other words, I'll sucker them in under the thin veneer of the pretense of normality and then spring a minimum gauge display on them :twisted: :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Postby trac555 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am

I exhibited Pender Street Mills at the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Seattle last year and will be exhibiting it again at the NMRA annual convention in Atlanta in two weeks. Those venues seem to generate a lot of exposure and interest for Gn15. I am also holding a clinic on the operating potential of a Gn15 two foot by four foot layout (using Pender) this fall at a regional NMRA meeting.

However, I agree that we do not have the frequency of opportunity available to our overseas GnATTERs. Another big difference is that we don't get expense or exhibit fees even though the attendance is in the thousands. The best I have received is one free admission ticket. I also notice that overseas you receive advance booking requests for specific shows. Here only the really large modular groups get asked and scheduled ahead of time.

But the reason I do it is because I have fun and meet interesting people. So who needs more?
Art Farwell

Larry Gant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 and other narrow gauge scales. Also urban modeling in HO standard gauge.

Postby Larry Gant » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 pm

The N.M.R.A. conventions would be a great place to show my Gn15 display, once it actually exists. If only I could afford to take part in these venues.

I belong to a HO HOn3 club with 18 members in the historic town of Deadwood, SD. I am also building a home layout in HO standard gauge. This gives me something in common with the other club members.

Bringing a Gn15 display to my club sounds like a good idea. If nothing else, this could start a member or a visitor on the road to minimum gauge modeling.

Since Mt. RUSHMORE is located only 50 miles south of Deadwood, visitors from around the country and the world come to Deadwood after visiting the monument.

Viewing windows are provided along the length of our display so people can see the layout even when we are not present.

Gn15 has a tough sell in the U.S. mainly because most of the minimum gauge industrial lines were scrapped very early on. We have few examples of the real thing to inspire us. What little has been saved is on static display in mining museums. Here in the "hills" we have a few examples of 18" gauge stock from the former Homestake Gold Mine on public display.

Looks like my main "display" venue will be right here on the GnATTERbox.
Larry Gant... I keep guessing, hoping for a correct answer once in a while.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:19 am

Larry Gant wrote:The N.M.R.A. conventions would be a great place to show my Gn15 display, once it actually exists. If only I could afford to take part in these venues.

I belong to a HO HOn3 club with 18 members in the historic town of Deadwood, SD. I am also building a home layout in HO standard gauge. This gives me something in common with the other club members.

Bringing a Gn15 display to my club sounds like a good idea. If nothing else, this could start a member or a visitor on the road to minimum gauge modeling.

Since Mt. RUSHMORE is located only 50 miles south of Deadwood, visitors from around the country and the world come to Deadwood after visiting the monument.

Viewing windows are provided along the length of our display so people can see the layout even when we are not present.

Gn15 has a tough sell in the U.S. mainly because most of the minimum gauge industrial lines were scrapped very early on. We have few examples of the real thing to inspire us. What little has been saved is on static display in mining museums. Here in the "hills" we have a few examples of 18" gauge stock from the former Homestake Gold Mine on public display.

Looks like my main "display" venue will be right here on the GnATTERbox.

:D Good stuff. I came across your club layout when I was in Deadwood. No one at home, but I put a few quarters in the slot and got entertained for a while. Rather taken with the remains of all the old Homestake Mining rail gear exhibited at various spots in Lead (pronounced Leed), a few miles up the gulch from Deadwood. Had a drink at the No.10 Saloon, and didn't get shot.

Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

David W. Laughery
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Maine RRs, 1930s, five string banjos

Postby David W. Laughery » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:46 am

A friend near Philadelphia and I (in Lebanon) are working on two layouts here in PA that could be united at a show for one larger display. I know of no other modelers here in this area. Dave L

Return to “Blether”