Wingnut Wings, inspiring models, not railways but WW1

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Wingnut Wings, inspiring models, not railways but WW1

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 pm

I know its not railways, but as I have drifted into modelling soe WW1 modules for centenary next year, I kept coming across references to this model manufacturer Wingnut Wings, a superb name, you just know they must be on the same planet as us.
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/
I originally thought they must be USA based as prices were in dollars, but then found they were based in New Zealand, and post worldwide FREE postage.
I thought they must have some connection with that NZ group which builds full size WW1 airplanes and I was absolutely right, link on their web page.
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/
Now like some other military modelling websites theirs is superb with plenty of info so you know what you are buying. Miniart is another with good info. This one goes even further as the online kit instructions which can be downloaded contain everything you are likely to want to know about each plane. Certainly something other kit manufacturers could consider.
I plan to order one of their kits, hopefully. Not sure how I can fit it my APA module as its pretty big in 1/32 scale(still can't understand why aircraft are 1/32 but other military are 1/35, but happy to work around that. Might have to build a double deep APA box module. As these models are not cheap, and are fragile, want to have them in relative safety of an APA box.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

Although I check in every day at the Gnatterbox - Wingnut Wings is where I'm at nowadays.
I've been completely seduced by the whole series of kits [Nice to have a kit where you're not scratching most of it anyway].

So, apologies to those that may of missed me?? But I am around: and I've not forgotten any of you ... Just having something of an affair at the moment.

Seeze-ya!
KBO .......................... Andi.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am

Yes they are from here in Wellington NZ. Richard Alexander belongs to the scale modelling group I attend. I can assure you quality of the Wingnut kitsets he has brought along are absolutely amazing and well worth the cost.

Equally aircraft modellers can't figure out why military modellers adopted a strange scale like 1:35th as 1:32nd has been around for much longer.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 am

Little Andi. wrote:Although I check in every day at the Gnatterbox - Wingnut Wings is where I'm at nowadays.

So, apologies to those that may of missed me?? But I am around: and I've not forgotten any of you ... Just having something of an affair at the moment.

Yes, we do miss you. But we expect our prodigal back in due course! :D

Cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:54 pm

I wasn't questioning why airplane modellers use 1/32, as that is basically been around for a long time, predating the real airplanes.
never understood how 1/35 came about, unless it an attempt at dividing 72 by 2. With care it is possible to mix both scales, but terms such as 54mm (height of standard figure in 1/32 I believe) are being used to promote rather than accurately describe the size/scale of a figure. Now that sounds familiar with G scale, and I have also seen something obviously 1/32 being described as G :twisted:
As for Wingnut Wngs they look like quality the hole way through, from product, website and service provided.
Maybe they could be persuaded to produce a model of that 40cm wagon/track with bomb on it :wink:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I believe 'height in mm' comes from military modelling, & is quite a good way of describing the size of a figure, however not all people are the same height, so nor should figures be, & that is where 'scale' does matter.
Just Playing Trains!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:17 pm

For my WW1 modules I have been trying to get some non fighting military figures and have some of the Del Prado ones. Originally I estimated some of these nearer to 1/24, but are advertised as 54mm. I think the old tin metal solders were 2in high , so where the extra couple of mm came from I don't know.
Based on a 6ft height 54mm scales out as 1/33.8 . Maybe they are taking the base into account.
The price of some figures in this scale make Gn15 ones look cheap, but most are aimed at the collector. Also as I said difficult to find non fighting figures, but Master Box are planning some WW1 figures in 1/35. As these are based on Battle of the Somme might have to wait till 2016 centenary, but hopefully there will be more WW1 figures.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Simon,

I know they are not cheap but Preiser do these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preiser-64006-D ... eiser+1+35

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preiser-64002-C ... eiser+1+35

or of course there are probably some Chinese versions about.

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I have several boxes of the Preiser 1940s refugee figures, and clothing is close enough to 1919 to use on my WW1 module.
It is British/French military I would like to see. Must admit I had not realised how much the British uniform had changed from WW1 to WW2 until I was talking to Nigel Tansley at Porthmadoc a few years ago(he was exhibiting the predecessor to Q Dump there. Nigel had had to modify WW2 figures I think. I have enough trouble painting military figures well , modifying them accurately is not a path I want to follow.
Its a pity the Armies in Plastic figures are mainly action posed
http://www.armiesinplastic.com/
although I am tempted by the camels for a desert module. The plastic is that soft bendy stuff which is difficult to modify, and trickier to paint.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Heywood Fan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains, Militaria, Classic Cars, Books

Postby Heywood Fan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm

As General Melchett said "If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

This applies to the number of kits I have in boxes to make up. This will now undoubtedly be overtaken, thanks to this thread, by one or two WW1 aircraft from Wingnut Wings.

So, to those of you enthusiasts above, thanks - I think..? ;)
Matt
a.k.a. Heywood Fan

Interested in the Heywood Minimum Gauge Concept and occasional modelling in Gn15

Return to “Blether”