(M) Blue / Pink Foam @ B&Q

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

(M) Blue / Pink Foam @ B&Q

Postby gfadvance » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:07 pm

I have noticed a few posts in the past over people having difficulty getting hold of the above in the UK.

I have always managed to get hold of Blue Foam from Sheffield Insulation who have a number of depots around the UK, however to-day in B&Q I noticed they were selling 'Space Board' made by KnaufInsulation. Seems to have the same properties, light but dense foam which can be sawn and sanded, although it is an interesting orange colour.

Comes in packs of 4 x 1200mm x 500mm (depth 52.5mm) at £19.95 - which was about what I was paying for 2.4m x 600mm x 50mm sheet of Blue Foam.

Might be useful with all these new layouts being talked about (it was one of the larger "depot" B&Q's so it may not be availble in the smaller stores).
Gordon F

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:51 pm

I have used this stuff (on an HO layout I am building for a client) and found the best way to cut is to use Stanley knife half way then break over my knee! Stick together using 'No-nails'.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Granted I have not tried flexi-track on foam, but have secured track with normal track pins . If necessary 1inch long household pins could be used. Once ballasted, and glued then that helps secure track.

If I was bending track to tight radius I would pre-bend the rail, then put it back onto sleepers.

Another advantage of the foam is that it is easier to move track around to test layout before fixing down.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Loft insulation foam like the stuff that was sold by B&Q holds pins, nails and screws remarkably well. Dressmaker's pins, either through the sleepers or temporarily paired to grip the rails will keep flextrack in place while the glue dries and can then be removed. For tighter radii it would help if you pre-bend the rails though, same as it does when using conventional baseboards, and use a lot more pins than normal (they can be re-used further along the line later).

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:32 am

Preferred glue is a contact cement, so both surfaces are coated, left to dry for a minute or so, then bought together for an instant grab. This can also be used to quickly build up foam structures and scenery. Just bear in mind it won't sand too well, so keep it away from the very edge if that's what you intend to do.

I feel the key to bonding foams is the adhesive needs a slight flex. PVA has this to a certain degree, as does the "no-nails solvent free"

David
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Heywood Fan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains, Militaria, Classic Cars, Books

Postby Heywood Fan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am

Is there any hazard information about the pink foam.? I was contemplating this until someone told me a horror story about a layout in a local clubroom that was dismantled because it was made using a huge amount of foam and during a fire inspection this was discovered and the thing had to be removed else they would not allow them a certificate.

I admit this sounds a little daft considering the amount of wood that goes into making many layouts! However I note that some types of foam give off toxic vapours when being cut with heat tools etc?
Matt
a.k.a. Heywood Fan

Interested in the Heywood Minimum Gauge Concept and occasional modelling in Gn15

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 pm

you need good ventilation when using a hot wire or sanding it too vigorously, a dust mask probably wouldn't go amiss if you're sanding a lot. Chemically its the same stuff as plasticard, but in a foam. Given that you're supposed to put large quantities of it in your loft the fire risk story seems unlikely - a great many buildings have loads of it stashed above their ceilings. Admittedly if you're running high DCC currents and have a big short resting on the foam you might get it to go up, but there are plenty of other materials that'd do that as well. Any XPS sold as household insulation normally has a fire retardant added in any case.

here's the saftey datasheet for Knauf spaceboard (the thick orange foam insulation you normally pick up at B&Q or similar) http://www.space-insulation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Space_Board-CoSSH_Datasheet.pdf

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”