Lots of boxes for the garage

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Lots of boxes for the garage

Postby NotHarryPotter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi folks,

I found this site with cardboard garage boxes that look OK.

http://www.scalemodelingbychris.com/boxes.htm

Hope it is of use! :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Postby Booga » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 pm

There are some interesting items in their diorama section too.
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

Granitechops
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, quarry, minerals & timber etc..Mainly in 25mm to the foot

Postby Granitechops » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 pm

But,
were, are, such boxes made of white card??
most of what I saw in a garage were brown card
cheaper to produce???

just asking!
Don
Stoneycombe & The Penrose Valley Railway in Sunny Devon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXftHeRMUU . . Modelling is 50% observation & 50% Adaptation

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 am

that's an interesting point. I used to do some work(as part of government slavery system) in a community owned recycling company. Most cardboard boxes are probably brown but the quality varied.
I noticed that boxes from Asian car manufacturers were soft rubbish boxes but those from a well known Swedish company were superb quality with wooden strengtheners in bigger boxes.
We had a local company which produced/ handled engineering products(BIG) and those boxes ere strong and good quality. The paper the cardboard was made from was so good you had to watch out for paper cuts. I managed to use quite a bit myself for my modelling as I felt it was too good for shredding.
Quality of box tends to depend on quality of product being carried or way its transported. The cardboard fruit boxes used to carry fruit/veg across the world tend to be good quality, yet still warp.
As for white versus brown, have to take in account how well the company info stands out. White is a better background, and it only needs to be the top sheet that needs to be white. I have come across very poor quality white cardboard boxes as well.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Granitechops
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, quarry, minerals & timber etc..Mainly in 25mm to the foot

Postby Granitechops » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:39 pm

I used to retail Jigsaw puzzles, big turnover, so mainly bought direct from manufacturer, as opposed to wholesaler, all our deliveries were in brown card boxes, as I suppose the deal was done, the account charged, so appearance did not add to further sales.
Where goods are going to be displayed/stacked for end purchaser to choose between competing brands then yes, white background gives a definate advantage, for example apple cartons are ususally white card, presumably to catch the eye of buyers at wholesale markets.
Items for say kitchen use, are very eye catching in their colour detail & "Claims" when in their individual boxes. But when those same items are packed in boxes of 6, 10 or even 144, the boxes are usually very basic.
Very noticable if you ever visit a trade wholesaler dealing in LARGE quantities.
we had a very noticable difference in attitude to packing quality, in our suppliers, one German firm of top quality puzzles, the sigle box with one puzzle in would be made of card as good as the puzzle itself, the shipping carton with say 20 puzzles in was so strong that if you taped it up empty it was strong enough to sit on!!
Another company with cheaper puzzles, the shipping cartons were so flimsy they barely made it off the delivery lorry before disintegrating

So if your contemplating printing out your own, its easy to print on white card 60 or 80 gsm,
but for brown I have used very stiff kraft brown wrapping paper.
Colour?
it could depend on the place you intend displaying it, end consumer use, or commercial bulk use.
Don

Stoneycombe & The Penrose Valley Railway in Sunny Devon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXftHeRMUU . . Modelling is 50% observation & 50% Adaptation

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”