Cannot get my head arond it.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Cannot get my head arond it.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Hello, I want a steam outline locomotive to go with my home built Gn15 i/c locomotive. Is it down to fitting a 'G' scale locomotive body to a 00 scale motor chassis? Would a LGB Porter body (for instance) fit a 00 scale Hornby??? chassis for example?
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:02 pm

How strange....I seem to only one post recorded, I wonder where the rest went?!
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Bill Reynolds wrote:How strange....I seem to only one post recorded, I wonder where the rest went?!

There's been some housekeeping going on in the forum, either that or the hamsters that power the web got hungry!

As to your question about Gn15 steamers, a G scale loco body would be far too big
If you have a look at Perrygrove you'll see some steamers in relation to the track and average sized persons, that should give you some idea of sizes etc.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Cannot get my head arond it.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Bill Reynolds wrote:Hello, I want a steam outline locomotive to go with my home built Gn15 i/c locomotive. Is it down to fitting a 'G' scale locomotive body to a 00 scale motor chassis? Would a LGB Porter body (for instance) fit a 00 scale Hornby??? chassis for example?

Hi Bill,
If you're not already familiar with Smallbrook's Locos take a look here:
http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1297446739791.html
Here's Mark's version of the kit.
viewtopic.php?t=7410
Here's Paul's scratch-built Loco:
viewtopic.php?t=3789
These can be found in the Loco Shed.
GerryB
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Smallbrook

Postby Thorness » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm

I have to say that I am well pleased with the Smallbrook locos. I have a Columbine built and am in the process of building Katie. They use a Hornby Smokey Joe chassis which are quite easy to come by and not too expensive.

New Smallbrook site: http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm

I have the Smallbrook Katie - mostly finished and chipped. Just needs to be finally painted and tarted up. The current problem is the pickups on the wheels don't sit too well after pulling the whole thing to pieces to add the chip across the top of the motor.
I have to say that the Smokey Joe seemed to run much slower and more betterer on DCC (until I 'fixed' the pickups) as I am able to run it in shunt mode.
I also have the small steam engine from the Fleischmann Magic Train series as well as four Davenports - all of which make good alternatives (you can add skirts to the Davenports to hide their diesevil origins).
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Always worthwhile checking out toyshops and toy departments in cheap supermarkets. There is a range, I talked about last year, originally in B&M shops but I have seen in others with a small trainset, O gauge, but I think the body would be about right size for Gn15. A bit long for the 040 chassis, though.
Otherwise the Hornby Bill/Ben 040 saddle tank is a good one to convert. New bigger cab, extend chimney, and replace face with a proper smokebox door.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Re: Cannot get my head arond it.

Postby WaterleyShunter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 am

Bill Reynolds wrote:Hello, I want a steam outline locomotive to go with my home built Gn15 i/c locomotive. Is it down to fitting a 'G' scale locomotive body to a 00 scale motor chassis? Would a LGB Porter body (for instance) fit a 00 scale Hornby??? chassis for example?

You could probably do this and it would look very funny, excellent for a whimsical layout, but it would never fit down an ordinary 15' line. :twisted:

In any case, using such a wide loco would negate one of the pricncipal advantages of the minimum gauge - the ability to fit through and into very small openings and spaces where no other railway can go.

I think that using a body from one of the plastic Thomas the Tank Engine push-along toys is a possibility, seeing what Bob Hughes (Blackcloud) has done with the smaller die-cast versions in 0-9 (see Size dosen't matter).

Or perhaps a scratchbuild, a steam loco body is, at its most basic, a big tube with some boxes and smaller tubes stuck to it.

Churzes,

Stumpy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains (particularly Steam) automobiles,(race cars, hot rods, antique cars), history, science,writing

Gettin' your head around it is easy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 pm

You can fairly easily kit bash Bachmann On30 steamers to Gn15. I used a 2-6-0 Mogul by removing the front truck, cowcatcher, headlight, smoke stack, and cab and built larger scale replacements.
The tender was upgraded by adding tall wood racks on the sides and rear and firewood stacked in the area. The engineer sits in the cab or on a seat board on the front of the tender.
12" radius curves are no problem with this conversion and if you're careful 10" is possible.
Stumpy in Ahia

Return to “Modelling Matters”