more on my ideas for 1/32 scale on 12mm gauge track

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

more on my ideas for 1/32 scale on 12mm gauge track

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 pm

The link to Heywood wood got me digging out my copy of Marl Smithers's book. .
The loco drawings are convenientluy in 1/24 for Gn15, so I can reduce them but the coaches are already in 1/32 scale. This gave me an idea, as I have the Academy plastic kit for Jananese Loco and 3 coaches in 1/45 scale. The coach sides looked about the same height as the Heywood coaches and I was right. It should therefore be possible to build minimum gauge coaches using these O scale coach kit parts. Makes me think the original Heywood design was a 'reduced' full size. Makes sence given the fuzzy grey line dividing minimum and miniature.
The downside to this scale is lack of easy to find cheap motor chassis. I already have some old German models, one 4 wheel diesel, and 2 small 0-4-0s . I think the steam loco chassis might fit one of the smaller estate locos.
Wonder if Tom might consider reducing his Gn15 loco bodies. I know this can be tricky. I can knock up something easily myself otherwise.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Postby csundstr » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:41 pm

With regards to reducing the steam locomotives to 1:32, try Brack Models or TEBEE. Both are producing steam locomotive kits on Shapeways, and reducing the scale of a 3D printed model, while not trivial, is not as difficult as reproducing a casting mold.

Have fun!

Chris

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I always design my locos in the smallest scale I think I'm likely to produce them in so the Gn15 locos started life as O9 versions ( Although most of these have never been released either!) So there is (OK should be) no problem producing them to a smaller scale

The Gn15 locos are 1.6 times the size of their O9 counterparts, rather then 1.8 times the 24/43.5 ratio would suggest. This is because they where designed firmly as large minimum gauge locos, more the size of the Woolwich 18 gauge ones rather than 15 inch ones.

If you want 1:32 ones for 15 inch gauge I would suggest making them simmerly slightly smaller than the scale proportionately produces.

let me know which ones you are interested in and I'll do one and produce a drawing showing the size.
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 pm

I won't be able to check chassis size till Wednesday. Main difficulty might be the motor which if memory serves me right(? :roll: ), is at back.
just found a photo. based on estimate of size of picture wheelbase about 25mm
I think the 0-4-0-estate-loco would look good, but the square tank saddle tank also looks interesting. I have 2 chassis so 2 locos

the Decauville 040 might also be an option, a quick calc on measurements makes ,me think motor will just fit in
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 am

One of them in 1:32

http://shpws.me/q1Xb

and a couple of drawings

To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 am

thanks, not sure if the first will fit. I have estimated motor to need 54+ mm , only a rough estimate though. I am going to re-scale some of the drawings for small Heywood locos to see if they fit. If they do, then I know where I can get other suitable chassis for bigger locos.
I am also thinking about the small locos at Lancashire/Yorkshire Horwich depot. For 18in gauge I would probably go for 1/35 scale. Nearer to scale and could also think military modelling again.(eg Woolwich)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:12 am

I already have some rolling stock . First is one of Tom's open coaches, which fits nicely on an old TT bogie wagon chassis. Its a bit narrow for 2ft gauge I think but looks about right for 15in gauge. Couple of Tom's wagons designed for 5.5mm scale. Had to modify as I had wheels with shorter axles but can get more with longer ones. Now I need a loco. Think this layout might be more passenger than freight orientated.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:50 pm

just re-found the website with a large 18in gauge loco, the plans were recently in Voie Libre magazine

http://steam-locomotives-south-africa.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/olive-bagnall-no1814-at-kimberley-mine.html
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Size doesn't matter”