Radio Control

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Radio Control

Postby Bob Roegge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:23 pm

I have been contemplating radio control for some time now. After reading about the DelTang system I decided to give it a try. I have converted two of my critters and am very pleased with the way they operate. Installation was much easier than I had assumed. The first picture is a mock up of components and wiring.

The first critter converted and DelTang transmitter Tx22 which handles 12 models.

Wanting a self contained unit I chose the option of using a single LiPo cell (3.7 volts) and a 9 volt regulator to boost the voltage. With my small critters space was an issue and a single cell was able to be installed without having to put the battery in a wagon behind the critter. Space limitations also inspired me to look for a way to eliminate the need for an on/off switch and charge jack. The roof of the critters are supported by two posts. I was able to replace the posts with brass tube. I cut the tube to have a bottom section attached to the critter base and a top section attached to the roof. I passed music wire through the top section to enable the top section to "plug" into the bottom section. I then installed the battery under the roof wiring it to the music wire. removing or installing the roof then becomes the switch.

I installed a 200mah battery in the first and a 250mah battery in the second. There is room to install larger cells. I just need to look around and find the largest capacity that will fit. I ran the first critter for 31 continuous minutes at over half throttle (faster than reasonable for normal operations) before the low voltage cutoff stopped it.

The charge connection I came up with was simply attaching a charge wire to two small brass tubes which plug onto the roof supports.

The last picture shows the underside of the critter. The roof support brass tubes extend through to the bottom. Wires run from them to the voltage regulator. The regulator is wired to the receiver which is in the white wrap. Wires from receiver are connected to the motor.

I am looking forward to converting several more in the future.
Bob

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Very clever 8) :idea: :idea:
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Postby trac555 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Bob, thanks for sharing some very innovative ideas. BTW, where did you put the speakers?
Art Farwell

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:39 pm

No speaker. DelTang is not currently compatible with sound. Besides, I have not been able to find a source for a small sound unit that has a good critter sound. Something like a two cylinder gas or diesel engine sound. I have seen some youtube videos of Gn15 with appropriate sound. I just can not find a source.

Any ideas out there?
Bob

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Yes, VERY clever design. Thanks for the inspiration! :D
Ken

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Bob Roegge wrote:No speaker. DelTang is not currently compatible with sound. Besides, I have not been able to find a source for a small sound unit that has a good critter sound. Something like a two cylinder gas or diesel engine sound. I have seen some youtube videos of Gn15 with appropriate sound. I just can not find a source.

Any ideas out there?

Ossynths WAS the best Bob but ceased production last year - arm & a leg prices.
However this thread might help:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3598
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:12 pm

This is really interesting Bob. Love the simplicity of it all.
Even an analog guy like me could probably do that.
Question, how much is a basic set up as you show in the picture?

Cheers :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 am

Dear Chris,

herewith for availability and $$$

http://themodelworksaustralia-com.webs. ... rc-control

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 am

We buy our components from Dave directly :

http://deltang.co.uk/

http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1017

I love Bob´s simple solution with the roof stanchions for use as a on-off switch and for to load the lipo (s)

Have Fun

Juergen

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am

Interesting stuff this R/C. Is the receiver connected to the motor pick-ups? Or somewhere else? (Not too knowledgable about all this)
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi Bob, this is looking superb! Love the idea for the roof acting as the switch/charge port. brilliant thinking outside the box! I've been looking at doing something RC in 009 after playing with some at a show earlier this year, but instead of taking the loco off the track, i was thinking of using a short length of rail and using the wheels to pick up the charge... Have you looked at the Turnigy Nanotec lipo's? I use them in indoor RC planes and they pack a great deal more punch than the identical sized eflight... And also a quarter of the price!
Keep up the great work!

David
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:32 pm

demaine22 wrote:Interesting stuff this R/C. Is the receiver connected to the motor pick-ups? Or somewhere else? (Not too knowledgable about all this)

The Receiver has a small electronic speed controller integrated onto the circuit board. The unit would run on the 1 cell, without the voltage regulator but would have limited speed...
There is an even smaller RX, approx 10mmx10mm square that even I should be able to hide somewhere :)
Jeurgen linked to the Dave's site, but here is a useful page ;)
http://deltang.co.uk/rx41d-2-v503.htm
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Answers to the many questions......

Cost - wired receivers cost $44 US. Transmitters are $88 US or $38 for kit. Kit is not complicated. Voltage regulator is $8 US. I bought mine from 0n30Guy.com. Great service.

Pickup - I used the track pickups but insulated the wheels from the pickups. I simply punched out some small acetate circles which I placed on back of wheels on one side. They can be removed in minutes to return to track pickup.

Charging from track - very possible. You would need to wire the receiver to the motor and wire the track pickup to the battery. Engine direction on charging track would be one direction only due to the polarity.

I prefer not to use track charging because I like to be able to have continuous use. Instead I have made an extra roof/battery unit for each engine. When needed I change roof in 15-20 seconds and place the discharged one on the charger.

Smaller receiver - there is a smaller one however it is limited to 6 volts. Great for smaller engines where slow speed or limited voltage works. Other option would be to replace the motor with a 6 volt one.
Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:37 pm

David, thanks for the Turnigy tip. I will check that out. I chose from what was on the shelf locally. I too do indoor rc planes. Mostly scale aircraft.

On prices - there are other transmitters priced at $70 US. The transmitter I chose was the most expensive but has a twelve model memory which will be useful.

The receivers have neat function "fail safe" which means if the transmitter signal is lost they continue operating on last setting. This is useful in that you can start an engine, then switch transmitter to another engine and run it. Toggling the transmitter back and forth you can operate more than one from a single transmitter (if using Tx22-12). Like juggling!
Bob

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks everybody!
Great and very useful info. Am seriously contemplating to use one on future projects.

Cheers
Chris 8) 8) 8) 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Here is a link to a company and a video for suitable sound in small RC-locos: http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1527

Sounds quite convincing in the video.

Have Fun

Juergen

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks Juergen, The sound is definitely appropriate for small critters. I like the fact that it is compatible with DelTang and the optional sounds for brakes, horn, bell etc are great.

Unfortunately, I do not read German (although I started school in Munich in the early 50s) and do not see a language selection option on the site. I will have to get a little help to investigate further.
Bob

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 am

Google will translate the site for you. (well, the forum anyway) I couldn't get the sound site to translate... :?
Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 am

Potential customers can always try, to contact the maker directly to get questions answered.

In some other German forum I read, the soundmodule was custom programmed for an Austrian 0n30 / 0e modeller.

Some of my Gn15 friend are interested to buy a small soundmodule for testing. So we might hear more of it in the near future.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 am

I know some of the DCC people I know, can buy sound files to copy to their own sound chip. I think this is in effect what some DCC suppliers also do here. There is usually a sound file for the loco you want, somewhere, and also alternatives to pure DCC coming out as well. Technology moves very fast these days.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:02 pm

know some of the DCC people I know, can buy sound files to copy to their own sound chip

Can you ask the DCC people you know, where soundchips suitable
for Deltang mini-RC receivers are available? And of course they should fit
into Gn15 or 0n30 locos.

Most DCC soudchips, at least the ones I know, draw very much current. Not the best solution for battery power.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 pm

most here use track powered models, but I will ask.

Assume you know Mike Ousby, as he has a sound system not DCC , but he might know something , given his years of experience with garden railways
http://www.acmesteam.wiserhosting.com/
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:12 pm

This Thread is about Bob Roegges Battery / RC solutions, using Deltang components.
That is why I suggested a suitable soundmodule, compatible with the above parts.
Meanwhile I aske for a price. 81 Euro for the soundmodule, plus approx 25 Euro for the programming of sound one wishes.

I am aware of the fact, that most people run with track power, some with trackpower plus a DCC chip. But that is not the question in this thread.

I don´t know Mike O. But looking at the seize of his sound chip, it is of absolutely no use for a Gn15 locomotive. Very much too large.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”