Ease of Gn15 scratch building.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Ease of Gn15 scratch building.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello Modellers, I am down the shed at the moment scratch building a number of 7/8" scale wagons, etc. While working away my mind wonders here and there. After this batch build of three wagons and two vans that's it as far as 7/8" scale modelling is concerned! Seeing how small Gn15 is do people actively scratch build wagons :?: and the like? I brought a wagon kit from Station Studio (not sure if that is the correct name) to get a idea of the size and the like. The wagon chassis is a Dapol one pre-made but the body work can be scratch built if desired. Do people on here do this sort of thing??
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Re: Ease of Gn15 scratch building.

Postby Bilco » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi Bill,

I've built a couple from scratch, as well as bashing bits of kits and RTR.

This is a simple flat

Full build details here http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=7528

This is a convertable wagon

details here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9384&p=111386#p111386

And this is a fuel wagon

details here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7676&p=95823#p95823
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:25 pm

There is an excellent walk through of wagon building here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10024&p=117174#p117174

Cheers

Don
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:52 pm

I was just about to post the link to my tub wagon build, but was beaten to it. Must type faster :D
There is also a van to go with the wagons.

This uses Peco 'Wonderful Wagons' running gear which is basically sprung axle boxes and W irons, so you can set your own wheelbase. The body is styrene sheet. It runs well thanks to the springing, but the thing is a bit top heavy despite lead in the bottom so falls right over if it derails. Perhaps it is a bit too tall?
Scratch built locos are also no problem, and there is lots of scope for making all sorts of fiddly detail parts from all manner of bits and pieces. There are loads of examples in Modelling Matters including my GLS30 diesel http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10230
There's lots of inspiration here - enjoy the search!
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:25 pm

I have scratch built all my Gn15 engines and wagons. I also work a little in 1/12th. Gn15 is easier as the detail in the smaller scale is not so demanding.

Bob

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:28 am

I don't have a lot of rolling stock yet, but all of it is scratch built. To me, that's the fun of it.

And, this one was done simply by sitting the driver on a Bachmann 0-4-2 without a cab. :D

Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 am

The wagon chassis is a Dapol one pre-made but the body work can be scratch built if desired. Do people on here do this sort of thing??

A very strange question. We have more than 4.000 topics in here. Very many actually deal with scratchbuilding of rolling stock. I always thought, it is impossible to ignore the almost 50.000 contributions.

There is not much RTR or kits for Gn15 on the market. Some makers retired, one got a very bad reputation for ripping off his customers. 3-D printing seems to be on the way, but you seldom see them built or painted in forums.

Smallbrook Studios offer a range of affordable kits. For my taste, 0-scale chassi (1 : 45) are a bit small for Gn15 (plus / minus 1 : 24) Mainly the seize of the axle boxes.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:43 am

Gn15 is a very niche market. This means trade support is going to be minimal, and mainly aimed at kit/scratchbuilding. Using standard OO/HO mechanisms and chassis does make it a good entry point for anyone wanting to bash a few models. As skills improve people tend to want more detail, and therefore are more particular. There are also a few people who want to skip the basic step. If they have the money then fine, but as I said it is a niche market.
Being a niche market makes 3D printing a better option, but it is not cheap, and therefore better for those modellers who have the money, especially if they ant all the bells and whistles!

One big advantage of the bigger scales is being able to add more detail, and add other features(working). This is what I am working on at the moment, and is possibly a better selling point for modelling small layouts in big scales.
It does seem that we speak more about the trains and less about other parts of the model, although there have been plenty of topics on layouts, which I find more interesting on occasions.

7/8th modelling is also a niche market, and I have noticed some have given up producing kits, presumably because there are not enough people buying them. Another possible for 3D printing, especially as for non railway specific items it is close enough to 1/12th scale to increase potential market. I up sized some of my wagons and you need some serious money to buy what are pretty close to r2r models. Probably why some still prefer to modify G gauge locos and wagons.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Hello Modellers, ...."a very strange question"...not really. My present scale is in fact a rubber scale of 7/8ths and 1.12th scales.... to get plenty of freelance modelling done without the straight jacket of 'un-correctness'. As far as I am concrned my question was just a simple question. I have to build and convert stuff to my existing scale of 7/8"+ as what I want for my outfit is not made...just like the stuff for the Gn15 version of what is in my rear garden outside. In this scale I think I am going to use my anglopoide magnefying lamp more! Thanks to the people who showed me their photo's...most helpful.
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Return to “Modelling Matters”