Security Fencing in "G"scale

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DRP
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: All NG railways,especially "one-offs".Inland waterways.12ins to the foot canal boats.

Security Fencing in "G"scale

Postby DRP » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Has anyone noticed a source of supply of, or devised a way of modelling the kind of modern security fencing which consists of pressed-steel uprights (like thinly-sliced corrugated sheets), with the top sliced into three and formed into a central sharp spike with the side ones bent so that the top of each unit looks like a dangerous fleur-de-lys.:?:

(Sorry about the verbose description. I'll be glad to learn the proper name, if only in the interests of brevity in future).:?

The gnatterbox search engine (well, cotton-reel tank--with perished elastic), very helpfully came up with chain-link fencing, barbed wire and wooden fencing, in impressive variety.

I guess it might have come up with this if I'd known the correct name.

Best regards, David.
'I used to be indecisive--- but now I'm Gnot so sure". David.

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm

I know exactly what you mean - very good description :D Never seen any for sale though. If you only needed to see one side, how about making one then casting the rest in resin? If the back is flat you would only need an open mould. Cast a few then make another mould with those so you can make several with each pour.
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:16 pm

I think the term you are looking for is "Palisade Fencing" 8) There are several variations on the form of the uprights though.

This is the standard type

http://www.fencing-systems.co.uk/VD14/I ... ade472.jpg

A Google for the term produced a load of hits for the prototype.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

DRP
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: All NG railways,especially "one-offs".Inland waterways.12ins to the foot canal boats.

Postby DRP » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks Andrew and Barry, Palisade fencing is the very thing I mean.':D'

Although I'm a bit disappointed in the name. I,d expected something a bit more pithy, like "Armco".

It's a bit surprising that nobody makes a brass etching of it, as it is such a feature of the industrial landscape these days.

Best regards, David.

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 pm

Good morning David....I think the problem is that most people model "past days" more than "these days" :) .
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:31 pm

I find a simple rope barrier stretched across the front of the layout is sufficient to keen little hands at bay :wink: Palicade fencing - That is over the top :twisted:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:39 pm

naw our security fenceuing is plastic or steel big business in itaperently theese days as the price of metsal goes up so does the need for these fences in demo sites and new construction sites over here
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:52 am

The same stuff is used around our local school :shock: . (painted a nice shade of green though :? )
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

DRP
'boxer
'boxer

Postby DRP » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:52 am

':lol:'':lol:'':lol:'

You want to see some of the places they have exhibitions in UK, Paul.Trouble is the little hands would probably carry off the Palisade fencing and weigh it in with the scrapper!

Similar problem in Canada, I see, Dana.

Regards, David.

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:51 am

I very seldom do public shows (as opposed to enthusiast shows like Small and Delightful) for precisely that reason. Similarly I've decided not to cope with aggressive parents who object to their little terrors being asked not to touch (not to mention parents that prod as well!).

As for the topic, I don't know of anyone making that kind of fencing. It sounds to me as if it would take quite a bit of expensive tooling. However, how about taking a strip of plastic corrugated, making one post and then multiplying by means of casting and recasting in resin? Once you had a panel you could get it cast in white metal or more resin.

DRP
'boxer
'boxer

Postby DRP » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:07 am

Thanks, Chris.

I think you're right.It maywell be possible to fabricate it out of corrugated sheet, particularly as the prototype most commonly comes in the form of a W-section upright.

I've googled a firm called Knightwing who do a lot of modern-image stuff for OO/HO. They make some palisade fencing cast in panels, which is OK for the smaller scale, but I thought it might look a bit heavy as a casting in 1/24th.

As for the problem of the children of the stupid at shows, I'll explore that one no further so that I don't offend those with delicate sensitivities for the second time in a week ':!:'

Regards,David.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05 pm

intersting the mention for Kightwing, as it seems surprising thee are no larger scale architectural models of this type of fening. Looking at some of the KW range some looks like Helhan HO, and some of the fittings packs look like those from Plastruct/EMA in UK, so there is hope that someone out there will produce this type of fencing for archectural modelers in a larger scale.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:45 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:Looking at some of the KW range some looks like Helhan HO, and some of the fittings packs look like those from Plastruct/EMA in UK

A lot of the Knightwing range is from Heljan, just re-packaged. Wasnt aware of any link with Plastruct, but it is quite possible.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Steve, some of the pipework looks like it is for oil refineries etc, which I think was one of the main archectual themes in Plastruct range. It is possible that Heljan produce for Plastruct, as do Preiser and Slaters I believe. Sometimes fifficulyt to work out who actually produces what.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:Steve, some of the pipework looks like it is for oil refineries etc, which I think was one of the main archectual themes in Plastruct range. It is possible that Heljan produce for Plastruct, as do Preiser and Slaters I believe. Sometimes fifficulyt to work out who actually produces what.

Ah, the pipework is from Heljan aswell. The Plastruct range is quite different and is still in ABS as far as I know.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:26 am

Steve Bennett wrote:A lot of the Knightwing range is from Heljan, just re-packaged. Wasnt aware of any link with Plastruct, but it is quite possible.

Whilst a lot of the general mouldings are Heljan/Walthers originated, the later ones are bespoke. The Palisaide fencing is one of the more recent additions to the range and is actually moulded in plastic rather than cast in metal. It's very nice, but definately 4mm scale...

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Return to “Modelling Matters”