(F) Lister running on 15 inch track?

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

(F) Lister running on 15 inch track?

Postby mad gerald » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to be bothering you again with a question regarding some 15" rolling stock ...

... but I'm looking for some more information about any Lister (like) locomotives, running on 15" track. I read the latest postings i.e. about the "midi"-Lister of Canvey Ray or the mini- Lister built by Engineer's Emporium. Using the search option is not the best idea, because the word "Lister" seems to appear in almost every 3rd thread ... :D

Could anybody please be so kind and guide me to some threads in this forum (or in the WWW) containing information about any Lister like locomotives running on 15" ... ?

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Gerald,

Here's a starter, look for "Sludge":

http://www.evlr.co.uk/rolling-stock.html

cheers

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

And just one more for now; Lottie the 5/8ths ish scale Lister on the Sherwood Forest line:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... ght=lottie

cheers

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 am

Chris,

Thank you very much ...

... it seems, a 15" Lister isn't very common either (regarding the number of 15" Simplexes).

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:37 pm

mad gerald wrote:it seems, a 15" Lister isn't very common

Perhaps not too surprising since (foolishly) not too many people followed Sir Arthur's ideas about fifteen inch gauge - no need to be downhearted, it is simply time for some imagineering.

cheers

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Searching through my memory cells, I can think of 14 Listers running on 15" gauge :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Steve; maybe your brain cells might remember 1 or 2 of the 14 and perhaps some basic dimensions, when you finally have overcome your flu ...?!?!?!

I think I would have preferred the recently mentioned 15" Simplex, but I think it is too much of a beast, running on tight curves on a small layout ... :?

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 pm

mad gerald wrote:
I think I would have preferred the recently mentioned 15" Simplex, but I think it is too much of a beast, running on tight curves on a small layout ... :?

Gerald,

If you cast your eyes back to your query about Simplexes on 15" did you ever look at my response re mini Simplexes? Only 4' 9" long excluding buffers and couplings and still only 5' 6" including them, i.e. even smaller than a Lister, which has a frame of 6' x 3', but the six foot extends to 8' 10" once end weights and couplings are added in.

One last advantage for Listers is the handful that were made without centre weights on a wheelbase of only 20" - so they should go round square corners.

Back to you... :D

cheers

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote: If you cast your eyes back to your query about Simplexes on 15" did you ever look at my response re mini Simplexes? Only 4' 9" long excluding buffers and couplings and still only 5' 6" including them, i.e. even smaller than a Lister, which has a frame of 6' x 3', but the six foot extends to 8' 10" once end weights and couplings are added in.

I'm not quite sure if I would like a mini Simplex as much as a mini/midi/15" Lister like "Sludge" ...

Well, I have to think it over ... :roll:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Apologies in order, I counted wrong, only 13 Listers that I can think of. Somehow I managed to count the pair that previously ran on the Fairbourne Railway and now at Windmill Farm twice :roll:

There was also a 16 inch/40cm gauge one, which I don't know what happened to. That would bring it up to 14 again.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:24 pm

I discovered another one: a Lister named "Pooh", running on 15" tracks of the Lappa Valley Steam Railway:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/2991303785/

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow & minimum gauge

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 am

Just to add a little more confusion, Perrygrove's mini Simplex 'Workhorse' is actually powered by a Lister SL twin diesel engine!! so I guess it fits into both camps.

Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:15 pm

There is another lister in 15" gauge. Pooh's sister, Zebedee, running at Paradis Park in Hayle, Cornwall....
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

Return to “Prototype Prattles”