Smallbrook "Heywood" style loco

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Smallbrook "Heywood" style loco

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Dear fellow GN15ers

Following on from "Grace", (see trade Tittile tattle) the first model of Smallbrook Studios GN15 non Emett freelance GN15, I decided to add a little bit more detail for the second loco, named, appropriately, "Titch"

This view shows additional beading around the tank top and cab side. The name & number plate have been secured using Grandt Line rivets - my eyesight and patience nearly failed. The chassis wheels have been given heavier balance weights to emphasise movement when running. The station running in board from Mike's GN15 "Emett" inspired range can be put to good use on a "serious" 15" gauge line.

This second view shows the added detail to the firebox, a few rivets, sight glasses and a new firebox door. I also placed some beading around the cab front.

The lamp iron may not be too prototypical, but the intended railway will carry passengers and some form of light will be required. The moulded smokebox door has been replaced with a new hinge made out of plasticard tubing and a pin. Priming will take place over the weekend and the livery will be a sort of pea green and probably unlined. A third loco is planned as a twin for "Titch", to be named "Tufty". Oh well, I believe it's time for my medication......... :roll:
Kind regard & best wishes,
Mark

Heywood Fan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains, Militaria, Classic Cars, Books

Postby Heywood Fan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 am

Like it! Titch is an appropriate name too!

Is it possible to see a side on view to see what you have done with the wheels? I quite like the look of the Smallbrook Columbine, but I dislike the spoked wheels of the hornby 0-4-0 chassis for some reason.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:37 am

Great job Mark! :D I love the tittle touches you put into these delightful locos.

Regards
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Dear GN15ers,

Some photos of the completed "Titch"

Cab from the rear, showing additional details.

Finally, a view with Smallbrook Studios designed "Man Riders" coaches, occupied by a SLM figure.

Different lighting..

So there you have it, no excuse now for not building your own 1/24th scale 15" gauge miniature railway !!!

Dear Heywood fan,

I finish the hornby supplied wheels on the chassis using two methods, both of which work for me.
1) Use filler or plasticard cut to shape to make larger balance weights; or
2) Use the above to make solid wheels sometimes found on smaller locos. Titch has option 1 - larger balance weights made with epoxy putty - milliput or similar.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Dear Heywood fan,

Wheel picture for you

This shows the increased size of the balance weight - "beefed" up a little as described previously.
Regards
Mark

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:47 pm

On several locos running on Smithies Yard I have had the space between the spokes on the drivers filled with body filler and then added thin plastic card balances. These wheels look a little more like cast disk wheels which seems to look better on some small industrial locos than too many spokes.

Ralph

Heywood Fan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains, Militaria, Classic Cars, Books

Postby Heywood Fan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Thank you very much for the great ideas. Just need to get tomorrows paperwork done then I have almost a week off, and plenty of time to sort out some more modelling ideas. Love the photos, very inspiring for me to get on and do something practical.
Regards
HF

Return to “Modelling Matters”