BeNeLux/Ger Ore mine.....and some

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

BeNeLux/Ger Ore mine.....and some

Postby chris69 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Well Ian, you did it. When I saw the track plan of the BedBugMine my wheels started turning.
I had 4 sheets of 28inch X 24inch 1inch thick pink foam and it begged me to do something with it.
Since I had screwed up 3 times before with small layouts (and not enough space for the larger one I started 2 years ago) it would be different this time.
for starters I read and FOLLOWED the advice given here by all of you guys regarding the track. yes, I built me a simple rail bender and a miracle happened, NO problems in the tight curves......amazing.
If all else fails, READ INSTRUCTIONS right?

Ok , the layout is roughly based on the ore mines in Belgium Luxemburg,Germany in the general area know as the Ardenne. Most mines are quite old and have horizontal entrances and use my beloved electrics for power.This site gives a ton of information about the mines, structures, mine cars and locomotives used:
http://rail.lu/index.php?option=com_wra ... 14&lang=de

Mine is loosely base on this. Before anything happened as to the landscape and structure I made sure this time all track was working.
Here are the first photos.
It is a simple oval with a turnout going in to an other mine entrance.
Oh and it will have a complete overhead wire system (not working,just show)

On the left is the mountain, in the back, built in to the mountain is the Mine Structure. The only things fixed at this time are the right and left rear supports and the rock in the middle. Building walls, tunnels and the "lid" are just pinned at this time. I want to make sure NOTHING will impede the running of the trains.
I have an other mine entrance planned on the left upper level with the track going through the 2nd story of the mine building. But that is down the road.
I may replace the left hand switch in the front with a 3 way to allow for expansion or find a way to built a crossing in the tunnels.....
so much for the stage of the layout.
My beloved Yellow one was to be used as the main motive power on the layout. Since this is an Iron Ore mine she needed to look accordingly.
Here is the transformation:

She was "VERY" loosely based on this one , influenced by a few more....

Here are some prototype pictures of the mine entrances that inspired me:

Enjoy,
Have a great week everyone.

Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: 8) 8) 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

Postby johna » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Excellent idea and love the loco.

Johna

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 pm

does anyone make the pantographs that big. only asking because I am looking for some for one of my projects. Preferably ones which either fold down or stick up.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:52 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:does anyone make the pantographs that big. only asking because I am looking for some for one of my projects. Preferably ones which either fold down or stick up.

I know I struggled to find any when I wanted some. Steve B used a bec Kits pantograph on his little steeplecab but again while it looked grand it was slightly underscale
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Simon,
all the pantographs I use are generally from HO models. The one on the Yellow one is from an old GE electric( AHM model or so, a cheapy), they had a bit larger ones. The other ones I have are all standard HO purchased over the years in Germany. If you need one a bit bigger there are the O scale ones but that get pricy fast.
Your best bet is damaged Locos you find on Railroad swap meats.
Best
Chris :roll: :wink: 8)

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Both layout and loco look great.
What radius did you get the curves down to?

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi si,
the inner radius is about 4.5 in ,the outer one around 9 in. So far the only thing that gives me a bit of a head ache is the insulated rail joiners, BIG source of derailment in one direction.
Next time I will go back to my old trusted method of just cutting a slot in the rail and filling the gap with a piece of plastic.

Cheers
Chris :roll: :cry: :lol: :lol: 8)

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: BeNeLux/Ger Ore mine.....and some

Postby chris69 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:28 am

Hi all,
well it has been a while. I have made some changes.One, I added a 60Degree crossing to the siding and main line. This way I have the option
to expand at a later date.

The next step was to get rid of the wall sections and replace it with rock. quite a new experience for me since this is the first time using rubber rock molds.The coloration is in its first stages and will undergo a few more shadings. Ultimately want to show the grey and rusty look of iron ore mined here.

Now more work on the lower section. Did some rock in the mine tunnels ,it looks pretty good looking in from the track level.
Once further along I am going to worry some more about the second level.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Cheers
Chris

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Happy Monday,
well something strange happened. as I am trying to keep the track at it's best (bad experience before) some of the locos that ran perfectly on it before I added the 60 degree crossing are now refusing to cross it. After some fiddling with the power pick up etc and no improvement I decided to change the drive on one of them.
Since I had glued the frame to the original AHM drive I had to replace the whole lower frame. As a drive I used an old PICO electric that runs perfect on the track as it is now. But one side effect is that the loco is now about 5mm taller.Changing some other things down the line but still passing through the tunnels.
Here is the new one and the old one.

THE OLD ONE

here she is with her "NEW SHOES"

The new frame still needs some"aging" but you get the picture.

have a great day
Chris

PS: what's going on? doing the same thing with the pictures but only getting small versions????????

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re:

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:does anyone make the pantographs that big. only asking because I am looking for some for one of my projects. Preferably ones which either fold down or stick up.

Of course I don't know what's available on other continents, but here in US, these guys still market some in HO, and I need to get around to getting a few.
http://www.ihc-hobby.com/product/M600 fifty bucks for a pair, though. I'd rather they worked out to less than $25 each, but oh well, such is life.
There has gotta be someone who offers them in O, but I don't know.
These folks though, most likely will know. http://www.trolleyville.com/trolleyville.shtml
And I'll bet they know where an article on building your own is, if you feel that gutsy, I don't :lol:
Gimme a couple minutes and I'll be back with photo of a G scale pantograph offered by Hartland Locomotive Works.
http://www.h-l-w.com/index.html
Probably a hair on the larger than required size, though. Still on roof of their 4-wheel Mack based design used as electric with suitable hoods as I didn't feel like unscrewing it.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:25 pm

chris69 wrote:Happy Monday,
well something strange happened. as I am trying to keep the track at it's best (bad experience before) some of the locos that ran perfectly on it before I added the 60 degree crossing are now refusing to cross it.

That would be bothersome, that's for sure. Given that you didn't say it was, I don't if it was or was not, but my first thought was that the insulated 90 degree frogs of the diamond might be same distance apart as the wheelbase of the 4-wheel power unit.
Those little electrics are so cool.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:26 am

Hi,
finally got my bugs worked out.
Here are the comparison pictures.
First the old one

Now the new ones

Enjoy
Best
Chris

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 am

I'm glad you are working on this one again Chris. I really like the layout... and I agree on 'beloved Yellow'. Neat locomotive. :)
Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”