Stefan's 2015 Layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Stefan's 2015 Layout

Postby Geeky Gecko » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:17 pm

This is my entry in the 2015 challenge. I'll be amazed if I get it finished in the time.
A simple layout design involving loading and unloading. I have started making the concrete legs that will support the loading hopper that will be at the back. The board needs trimming to size and shaping.

The stub point is far from complete, but a pushed chassis negotiates them successfullly. Unfortunately little forethought was used when I fitted the rail resting directly onto the surface of the board which means the moving blades will need to slide on the same surface. The blades are soldered to rods which rotate in holes drilled through the board. At the moment they are not linked together.
Stefan

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Stefan's 2015 Layout

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Nice start! Watching from here. :D
Ken

Pierre Chatelet
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby Pierre Chatelet » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:25 am

Nevadablue wrote:Watching from here. :D

As usual, me too ! :D

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:04 am

And me :D
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Me too. I'm experimenting with small radius turnouts that have no mechanical points. I have had success with Peco turnouts soldered points a la Prof Klyzir's Dinamite Canyou mine. I"ll be watching since I just bought some of Simon's trolley turnouts from 3-D printing.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Doc,

Are you meaning this kind of turnout, which I refer to as a 'Penrhyn' point since, amongst other places it can be found at the Penrhyn Museum? I am using a couple for my 7 1/4" Minimal line, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8630

cheers,

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:50 am

Yes, Chris, that's the style of points. I thought it might be easier to use a design that didn't rely on a frog. I'm leaving the design of the operating and inter connecting mechanisms of the blades to the future.
Stefan

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:01 am

The great thing about 7 1/4" gauge is that one simply picks up the three pieces of metal in turn and plonk them down to change the direction of travel. No mechanism here, interconnecting or otherwise! :D

I suspect trying to do the same thing in 00 gauge would require some very fine work with a file.

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:54 pm

chris stockdale wrote:Doc,

Are you meaning this kind of turnout, which I refer to as a 'Penrhyn' point since, amongst other places it can be found at the Penrhyn Museum? I am using a couple for my 7 1/4" Minimal line, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8630

cheers,

That looks like it is quite similar. My experience with turnouts that have no moving parts is that the train prefers one direction to go. This is fine for reverse loops,that I also love (with deadrail radio control) but it is not possible where you want a choice of direction. For those turnouts, you have to use moveable points, at least in my experience.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Well it's been a long time coming, but here's an update.
The points are now in an operable condition:
The aluminium below the blades is just to reduce friction. You can just see pin heads that act as stops to prevent the blades travelling to far. The blades are held in position by friction.

Here is the view below the board:
The various rods and links allow the blades to move as far as necessary and is operated by the push/pull knob on the right. The rectangular brass pieces are connected to the blades.
Stefan

Return to “Modelling Matters”