Estate Update

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Estate Update

Postby Bilco » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Having built 'Lady Frideswide' and 'Sir Macintosh', and found that neither will run on my Berger Hall layout because of the 6" curves, I've been giving some desultry consideration to building a 'display diorama' to stand them on, and maybe even photograph them. The idea developed a little into something that might, at some unspecified time in the future, be extended into a layout, but first things first ...

I bought a couple of small Celotex 50mm insulation boards and a piece of 3mm hardboard, and have just started construction of the base, in the same way that Berger Hall's was made - "You know my methods, Watson" ...

The insulation and hardboard cut into 2' x 18" pieces, ready to be stuck together. Inevitably, I ran out of the No More Nails Project adhesive, so progress is stalled until I source some more ...

Hours of fun ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Estate Update

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:12 pm

‘.... apply them.’

‘If I may say so Holmes, if they won’t run on 6” curves you don’t need a diorama, you need a larger layout.’ :D

Cheers,

TrainsOnArran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby TrainsOnArran » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

The Berger Hall Railway was one of the things that inspired me to venture into Gn15 by building the Cordale Hall Railway. Not just the railway, but the story running through the build.

I too am looking forward to seeing how this diorama starts and then develops into another layout.
Paul

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 pm

It had become clear, well to me at least, that your b****y smelly engines that now won't go around you corners, need to replaced by modern, economical infernal combustion locomotives with nice petite wheelbases or even better mounted on a pair of bogies. Retire those boilers to heat the big house. :P

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Many thanks for your comments chaps, I hadn't thought a piccy of two bits of insulation and a bit or hardboard would attract much comment!

In the current hiatus attention has also been devoted to a suitable back-story to accompany the diorama/display/layout while construction is (slowly) underway.

The setting is still Berger Hall, but in 2019 – hence the ‘Update’ in the title of this thread. The title so expensively bought/hard worked-for by Sebastian Berger became extinct, as his grandson had only daughters. Berger Hall and the estate came into the hands of the cadet branch – the Berger-Kings – at that time, and the latest owner is Stackpole Berger-King – known as Stackers to his friends.

When Stackers was a child he spent school holidays with his grandfather at the Hall, and discovered the remains of Sir Macintosh’s railway, mouldering away in the overgrown shrubbery. When he inherited the estate in due course he decided to resurrect the line as a tourist attraction, to generate some income for the upkeep of the Hall. He was lucky enough to know some railway enthusiasts, who helped him lay out a new route and find locos and rolling stock. Funds were raised for the construction of an out-and-back line with a loop at the far end, and a new, three-road loco shed adjacent to the old stable yard.

The locos and rolling stock that Sir Macintosh had had built were sold off after WW2, but were stored in anticipation of a projected park railway, which never came to fruition. Stackers and his friends were able to buy the locos and get them overhauled and running again – they had been stored in some old industrial buildings, awaiting the outcome of a long legal dispute, so had survived in reasonable shape.

Right, that's stretched your credulity far enough for now ...
Bill

TrainsOnArran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby TrainsOnArran » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Bother!! I’m now regreting that I haven’t already published the back story for the Cordale Hall Railway. There are a few similarities! But I suppose there are only a limited number of ways to explain the reviving of an old estate railway in the present day or thereabouts.
Paul

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Sorry about that, Paul! I guess that the story has been quite common for titles and estates, especially since WW2. Quite a few estate owners have built a railway to attract tourists - I live close to Blenheim Palace, which has a little railway between the Palace and Pleasure Gardens - I walk past it most mornings, on my way to get the paper ...

I've been following Cordale Hall with interest - good use of the Henry Ford kit of figures! The young ladies definitely Would Not Have Done for Berger Hall, but might find a place on the new iteration. I think I've seen them offered on t'Bay ...
Bill

TrainsOnArran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby TrainsOnArran » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 pm

If you are so close to Blenhiem Palace, that explains how you got the picture of the lake for the backscene at Temple Halt. I thought that was a very skillful piece of modelling. The left, right and centre all fitted together most convincingly and it all blended with the foreground so well.

I realised a while ago that we had a different philosophy on what counts as a ‘proper’ lady on our model railways. The ladies on my layout came from the Master Box range. I sourced them from Creative Models:

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/figures ... 45&sort=2a

They caused quite a stir when I posted some pictures on the Facebook Micro Layouts group. Unfortunately, I was not able to supply phone numbers for them as one viewer requested!
Paul

Return to “Modelling Matters”