Emetts Beach

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Emetts Beach

Postby backwaterscotland » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 pm

I've been quiet for a while as I took a break after finishing and exhibiting Crundells Estate - I had intended a few months break and ended up taking nearly a year :oops:

I first encountered Gn15 through Smallbrook's Emett kits so it was obvious that an Emett inspired layout would appear at some point. That point has now arrived. Inspiration came from this cartoon : https://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000jfAW5p7DBeM showing the smugglers at the beach.

Stock wise, I already have a Nellie and a Hector, 2 coaches and 3 wagons so little stock building will be evident on this thread.

The layout is just under 7 feet long and 2 feet wide using baseboards rescued from previous layouts (another board from the 00 fiddle yard that supplied the board for Crundells Estate and the board that Macfeegles Distillery was on). The shorter 3' board is dropped 2 inches below the 4' board so I can model the beach, the track sitting on "sand" pillars and probably a lighthouse.

Emetts_Beach_02.JPG
Emetts_Beach_02.JPG (230.38 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

Emetts_Beach_01.JPG
Emetts_Beach_01.JPG (201.72 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

Track plan will be a simple oval with passing loop and I plan to automate the operation using Heathcote Electronics control boards.

I'm not expecting progress to be fast as my 00 gauge layout is being exhibited later in the year but I will post as things progress.

Andy 8)

Gnu Bee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: GN15 models, Rowland Emett, Fantastical Machines,

Re: Emetts Beach

Postby Gnu Bee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:26 pm

I recognise that Punch cartoon - It is also in the book Far Twittering by Rowland Emett (a tatty first edition that I have on my bookshelf, from 1949 and bought around 2013). It is good to see that we are continually encouraged to find whimsical so appealing in this small corner of the railway modelling world. I look forward to seeing your layout.
My name is Geoff - a dabbler in all things narrow gauge and unlikely.

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Re: Emetts Beach

Postby backwaterscotland » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:48 am

I thought I'd made a good start on the baseboards until I stood back and realised that I hadn't worked out how I was going to light the layout and how the backscenes (if any) would work so I set the boards aside to think (and got distracted).

However, I did make a start on the buildings I know I will want. First up was a Beach Hut - I may go with putting wheels on it (I'm eyeing up lego cart wheels as possible donors). Second was a signal box. So far I have the basic shapes, mostly artists board and hot glue. The signal box has a wooden frame that the platform for the stairs will sit on.

SignalBox1.JPG
SignalBox1.JPG (157.27 KiB) Viewed 507 times

This may be a slow project :?

Andy

Return to “Modelling Matters”