This may be of interest some ideas perhaps.

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

This may be of interest some ideas perhaps.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm

This is a site I visited in August 2013 it is between Turvey and Stevington Bedfordshire. It is the track bed of the Bedford to Northampton line which was closed in 1962.
There was a collection of narrow gauge rolling stock and locomotives but due to damage by vandals it was closed and the equipment moved away soon after my visit. The track gauge is about two feet at a guess.
The items might be of interest to modellers, I must say I find such places fascinating.

As you can see there was some serious signal equipment installed the bridge is for a farm access.
Regards Peter M

Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

Re: This may be of interest some ideas perhaps.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Peter M
Peter M

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 pm

What an incredible find! Does anyone know where it has all got to?
I would agree that it is 2 foot gauge, based on the photo of the Ruston. Frame extensions would be needed if it was any other gauge.
The lever frame was a bit of a surprise. It is a BR standard 1943 frame, an evolution of something first designed by the Midland Railway. Mechanical locking between the levers is in the flat tray extension behind the levers, operated by the lever catch handles. Some of the lever colours make sense, the blue/black levers would ordinarily be for points worked by a motor or an economic facing point lock. The yellow lever would be for a distant signal and the red levers for stop signals. There seem to be way too many white bands around the levers as these indicate a signal released by a "line clear" from the signalbox ahead. Some of the other lever colouring is a bit weird for want of a better term. Goodness knows what the red buttons are for, but I would be amazed if there were any electrical controls on this lot. I do wonder how well the lever frame fared in the great outdoors as this type was only ever intended to be used in a proper signalbox.
I really must stop boring you all with signalling anorak-ness now as my day job is taking over the hobby! :shock: :oops:
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

Steve,
There are a load more photos and a track plan on Flickr: Stevington and Turvey Light Railway.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/crowquine ... 542592774/

Everything was moved to a new site near Woburn in 2014 it seems.

I've found another photograph of one of the signals.

The main signal box on the line was named Needham, and contains a 31 lever Westinghouse 'L' frame which originally came from Battersea Park Signal box.
I hope this is of interest.

Peter M
Peter M

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am

A small album from better days here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytilsto ... 4485524122

Cheers,

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Steve,

A photograph of the signal box before it was vandalised presumably. It is so sad that they had to move to another location.

There are a few more photos of the line when working at:
Stevington & Turvey Light Railway – 16mm Bedfordshire Area.

I hope this is of interest.

Peter M
Peter M

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks for all the links and further information. Judging by all that equipment it looks like someone had links with a signalling engineer, or was a signalling engineer who was a frustrated train driver. I am in signalling design for the day job but fire Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland locos at weekends. Somehow I don't think that my wife would appreciate me bringing a load of full size stuff home - the back garden is not big enough for the signalling equipment let alone an NGG16 :shock:
If anyone is wondering what a Westinghouse L frame looks like, we have one on the F&WHR controlling Porthmadog Harbour Station, see https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/1889-porthmadog_harbour
The Stevington and Turvey line reminds me a lot of the Bromyard and Linton Railway, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromyard_and_Linton_Light_Railway and https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/albums/72157663510270703/. The Kerr Stuart Wren was a visitor, and I think that the Ruston is the usual motive power.
Steve Holland

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am

Thank you for the links Steve, I especially like the Bromyard & Linton Light Railway. 8)
All a bit agricultural, just my kind of thing.

Kind regards Peter M
Peter M

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Peter,

You can see the Bromyard terminus (might be a bit too grand calling it that) on Google Earth street view. Look for Station Road, Bromyard - loads of RNAD box vans gradually decaying in the open and loads of Hudson V skips as well. The street view images are dated 2009, so I guess that there may be even less woodwork left on the vans by now. I tried attaching the Google Earth .kmz file for the location and failed abysmally. Comparing the aerial views over the Google Earth timeline from 1999 seems to show that some of this stuff has not moved in all those years!
Steve Holland

Return to “Blether”